Texas Fishing Forum

Finally got out with the new rod

Posted By: Capt. Brendan

Finally got out with the new rod - 09/03/16 09:05 PM

I've been tying a lot lately but I haven't really had the chance to go out and fish. I recently got a new 8wt and today I picked up a Hydros SL reel for it. After lunch I went over to some ponds to try the rod out, and boy is it a cannon!

Both fish were actually pretty chunky and they fought pretty hard. Caught 'em on those whiteout clousers I tied the other day.

Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/04/16 07:24 PM

Great stuff thumb
Posted By: RonL

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/04/16 10:56 PM

Congratulations on the new reel . Is the rod Orvis also ?
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/04/16 11:22 PM

You have the right fly on!
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/04/16 11:39 PM

I got a new 5 wt. Recon with a new Hydros SL several months ago. My one trip since to Rockport was accompanied by crazy winds. The 8 wt. was the lightest rod I got to use. Hopefully the Recon/Hydros rig will defeat a few reds at Matagorda next month. So far I am impressed with the SL, although I haven't gotten to fish with it yet.

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/05/16 12:14 AM

RonL,
The rod is actually a Beulah Bluewater that I bought from BoPro on here!

Jim,
I put the Hydros SL on some buffalo today and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It handled some pretty decent fish that jumped into the current with no problems. I hope you like yours!

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/05/16 12:21 AM

My dad and I went out to LLELA at Lake Lewisville today and absolutely slayed some buffalo!

The Beulah rod is phenomenal and I would highly recommend them to anyone. Same thing with the Orvis Hydros SL, the drag is silky smooth and has almost no start-up inertia!
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/05/16 12:24 PM

I put a Orvis Hydros Sl on both my Orvis Helios 2 rods, 6 wt and 8 wt. I recently made a trip to Corpus Christi and fished with a friend. The Helios 2, Hydros Sl set up was great. I caught several nice black drum in the 20-24 inch range and a nice 21 inch redfish. The rods did great casting into the wind and the reels handled the fish with ease!!
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/05/16 04:31 PM

That is a slick looking reel a good drag is critical. especially when fishing lighter lines
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/05/16 08:56 PM

Great way to break in a new rod! Nice fish. Bet the Carp fight was awesome! boxing
Posted By: BoPro

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/07/16 05:32 PM

I'm glad you're enjoying the rod Brendan! Looks much better being used than sitting in the closet. Looks like the Wulff Bermuda line is serving you well too.

Re: Finally got out with the new rod - 09/07/16 05:50 PM

Both are working great for me BoPro! Thanks again!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum