Texas Fishing Forum

My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class.

Posted By: Robert Hunter

My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 05:14 AM

Came down to do some prep for bow season and hunt dove in the morning. I was working on some old boards on the dock and was casting an olive jig fly for crappie on breaks. Already had several slabs take. Took a break before dark and felt just slight tension. Strip set hard and line took off for the middle of the lake. The fish bulldogged and never wanted to leave the bottom. Really thought I had a big flathead on. As the fish finally tired I was glad the ground was soft I finally saw it was a bass and jumped to ground. It was just barely hooked in the middle of the upper lip and fat like it was March. Really great day broke another good fish off should have retied. Got into some exotic collard dove for a warm up. Big crappie and bass. Also saw a new one we hung a lantern off the dock in the dark and thousands of gnats were burning their wimgs and falling to water. With little wind there was a slick of them. A banded water snake smelled them and was swimming circles with its mouth open gulping them down. Really wild to watch it ate for an hour.

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 05:15 AM

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 05:18 AM

Posted By: pearow

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 01:36 PM

nice 3 weight fish!!!!!!-p-

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 01:49 PM

Thanks perow you can see the short sucker behind me its only 7'6". I know it took a bit to get her in.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 02:00 PM

Very, very nice 3weight bass, that snake must have been a hoot to watch, very unusual.
Posted By: FishyB

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 02:37 PM

Great fish buddy! Good luck today with the dove! smile
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 02:46 PM

Ok, now I see what I'm doing wrong. I've been fishing all day with seven and eight weights. I guess I need to find some work to do at Roberts. Then, fish a three weight for big bass on my breaks.
Cool snake.

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 03:33 PM

Hey invites been there Capt. Lol
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 03:33 PM

Great fish Robert thumb I've been thinking it's about time to hit the LMB again. I caught my biggest 2 in September last year.
Posted By: RonL

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 04:00 PM

Nice bass for sure ! I can do without the snake since I don't like snakes but I know when fishing they are going to be close somewhere . I've had them come to bank where my fish chain were holding a couple nice ones and the snake tried to get them with no luck tho wink .

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 04:37 PM

Good month for it j-moe
Posted By: charlief1

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/01/16 07:41 PM

Nice fish Robert, but that snake would've been on the business end of my shotgun.
Posted By: Froghunter

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/02/16 01:22 AM

what fly did you use on the dove, a milo pattern? smile looks like a great time! there is defiantly an art form to landing big fish on wee rods. well done sir.

I caught a water snake on a fly once. it was a heck of a fight and was fun until I realized that I had to get it OFF the hook.

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/02/16 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Froghunter
what fly did you use on the dove, a milo pattern? smile looks like a great time! there is defiantly an art form to landing big fish on wee rods. well done sir.

I caught a water snake on a fly once. it was a heck of a fight and was fun until I realized that I had to get it OFF the hook.
lol looking in my food samples from the crop I figured out the dove needed a little size 18 black sunflower fly. I snagged a snake on time for the heck of it and then realize the same thing. You don't think about it until you actually hook it then you start wonder what the heck was I thinking.

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/02/16 03:11 AM

A friend of mine tied those for me for dark green or stained water it was basically a very small olive bugger on a bright coral colored head for visibility with a vertical eyelet. I should have retied after that bass. I hooked into another really good fish that broke me off shortly after that but switched over to old reliable with a chartreuse and white clouser the biggest Crappie came off of that. I really caught a ton of big Crappie last year on pink and white clousers.

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/02/16 03:57 AM

Also froghunter yes it is an art. I had 8lb invisix wasn't woried about the breaking of the line near as much as how to steer the fish properly around obsticals. as well as get the most power out of the rod with the angle I used as to not exhaust it and get in quickly for release. When lucky enough to hook into a big fish on a little rod you really have to hold the rod at a 45° angle away to get the most power out of it Not only does it help yourself landing it but it helps the fish in recovery. I like the three on jig flys for the feel as its a 1/64 oz head and very light and hard to feel on heavier rods. I want to build my next one with a thru the blank grip like good bass rods. I think a finger on the blank of the rod would transfer a slight tap of a bass sucking in a fly even on a heavier rod. With the thickness and softness to fly line it's so hard to detect subtle strikes on heavier rods most of the time it's a strip set you're stripping the fly and then you set the hook. For big bass and big flies I would like a little advanced warning so I couldn't really give a hard rip of the rod along with that strip set when I know a Fish is there. But proved a fey times now not need big flys for big bass lol problem is I like Big flies and big bass so I'm going to try to see if I can make an improvement.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/02/16 04:29 AM

Awesome post! thumb

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/02/16 06:23 AM

Lmbo Capt funniest thing was is I almost stepped off in the hole in the background with the drill and hammer I was trying to repair on the dock when I was taking a break from work. Almost fell in trying to jump off of there when I realized it was a bass and not a catfish.

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/02/16 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Linecaster
Very, very nice 3weight bass, that snake must have been a hoot to watch, very unusual.
and thanks linecaster yea that was wild looked just like a trout sipping spinners it knew they were dead and just took its time they must have been good lol. It didn't even flinch with the headlight on it to get a pic. After we quit looking over and went back to fishing you could hear it feeding in the still night air. Charleif1 water snakes of any kind creep me out too and normally would get the same. this one though got a pass on its ability to show me something new in nature lol. I have changed in the fact rattlers unless I'm going to eat it now get a pass,but copperheads on the other hand don't eat rats,mice,other snakes,or give warning die lol.
Posted By: j_hirn2

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/03/16 12:22 AM

Great bass Robert. I hope to get one half that size.

On the snake, this summer I was casting a #12 Woolly Bugger and hooked a small green sunfish just as I was getting ready to backcast. The fish came flying out of the water and landed in some weeds in front of me. When I pulled it up I thought I had wrapped around a stick but it turned out to be a 2 foot water snake. It wrapped its tail around a bush. In the tussle that ensued the fish came loose and the snake got hooked. Finally the leader snapped and the snake slithered off with my bugger.

I picked the greenie up and put it back in the water and it swam off so I don't think it was a cottonmouth.

I was fishing with a 9 ft fly rod so I was pretty brave. I wouldn't have been with a shorter rod.

Re: My little three wt just can't help itself. It must be very attractive to fish way bigger than its class. - 09/03/16 04:29 AM

Lucky greenie there! Thanks I would take bass half that size any time. Fished tournaments for bass for some time. Lot of lakes I would love to have one half of that to cull the last fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum