Texas Fishing Forum

A couple of small bass on a popper

Posted By: j_hirn2

A couple of small bass on a popper - 08/24/16 10:22 PM

It was really windy yesterday and I hadn't planned on fishing, but the wife suggested I go for awhile after dinner and I figured if she's OK with it so am I.

Since it was so windy I took out the 8 wt but it was still a chore in the wind and I only had a small corner of the pond sort of protected from the wind and a lot of weed has grown up (I think it is Milfoil but not sure) around the banks.

Tried a white chartreuse #6 clouser and a olive woolly bugger without even a bump. The strong wind and my lousy casting form resulted in a couple of wind knots and I spent some time getting a fly out of a tree.

As it got near dark the wind died down considerably. I saw some surface activity and tied on a popper. The weeds (Milfoil?) were mostly a couple of inches below the surface so I didn't get too much junk fouling up the popper.

I caught this one (about 10 inches) and was glad the day wasn't a skunk

After that I managed to hook another tree when a saw a bass break the surface and got excited and neglected to check where my backcast was going. Luckily it came out with a gentle tug on the line.

It was getting dark and I was about ready to leave when I caught this one that went a little over 12 inches. He ran me into the weeds and I was glad I had a 10# tippet.

Both hit after I stopped the popper for about 10 seconds. It's really fun to be able to see the bass attack the bug.

So basically nothing to brag about but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: A couple of small bass on a popper - 08/25/16 01:35 PM

We'll done for persevereing, the rewards tell the tale, thanks for posting.
Posted By: RonL

Re: A couple of small bass on a popper - 08/25/16 04:22 PM

Couple nice ones on that popper ! I know that's Orvis reel , is that a Orvis rod as well ?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A couple of small bass on a popper - 08/25/16 04:40 PM

Nice post! Any time spent fishing is hard to beat! cheers

Re: A couple of small bass on a popper - 08/25/16 06:32 PM

Ronl,

Yes it's an Orvis Recon.

Re: A couple of small bass on a popper - 08/25/16 08:07 PM

"Any time spent fishing is hard to beat!"

That's so true. And it's nice to have a wife that tells me to go fishing.

Thanks Banker.

Re: A couple of small bass on a popper - 08/25/16 08:09 PM

Sometimes my stubbornness is my best quality Linecaster.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: A couple of small bass on a popper - 08/26/16 01:54 PM

If your fly is not in the water you won't catch a fish. Nothing wrong being stubborn about staying on the water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum