Texas Fishing Forum

Cabelas Three Forks Rod....Anyone Have any Experience With Them?

Posted By: MUHerd

Cabelas Three Forks Rod....Anyone Have any Experience With Them? - 07/16/16 02:08 AM

Hey all

Been looking at fly rod combos to get as my first step into fly fishing. Since I want to fish for carp, I've been told to get an 8 weight. One of the combos I was really close on was the Three Forks/Prestige Plus. Of course I didn't know anything about them so I called a Cabelas store and asked to talk to someone that could answer some questions about fly rods and reels. A guy got on the line and after some preliminary chatting back and forth he told me that the Three Forks rods get returned quite a bit for breakage. Of course I was taken aback with that cause the comments on their site were pretty good. So, I thought I'd come and ask you guys/gals if you all knew anything about the Three Forks rods. Does anyone own one or did own one?

I'd like to hear some opinions on these rods if you don't care. Any info you want to give would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly.
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Cabelas Three Forks Rod....Anyone Have any Experience With Them? - 07/16/16 02:19 AM

I have several Three Forks rods, have yet to experience any such issues. Of course they're five or ten years old, I've no idea who makes rods for them now. But yeah, im happy with mine.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Cabelas Three Forks Rod....Anyone Have any Experience With Them? - 07/16/16 03:37 AM

I have a 3 and 4 weight Three Forks love them both, in fact I even purchased three 4 weights for my grandsons and son in law, no problems with them either.
Maybe because they sell so well and accidents happen Cabelas are good at replacing the rod that has been broken. No doubting go buy one if you don't like it return it.
Posted By: pearow

Re: Cabelas Three Forks Rod....Anyone Have any Experience With Them? - 07/16/16 11:09 AM

I've got a couple; never had a problem; they're cheap enough to replace if one is broken-p-
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Cabelas Three Forks Rod....Anyone Have any Experience With Them? - 07/16/16 03:21 PM

I've had 3. I broke one by slamming a door on it. My second one just broke recently. I have used/abused that rod for a few years. I am very tough on rods. It is a 5 wt and I caught a huge carp with it a few weeks ago. A few days later I went to cast it in the back yard and it flew apart after a few casts. I can only guess that the recent heavy stress was just too much. I repaired it and it will soon become my "buddy" rod/reel combo. As Pearow said, they are cheap to replace which is why I like them. I have fished right beside my buddy with his 1k sage combo and I have caught just as many fish with my $90 3 forks combo..
Posted By: WataugaFlyGuy

Re: Cabelas Three Forks Rod....Anyone Have any Experience With Them? - 07/24/16 08:23 PM

I just got one. They are on sale right now. I got an 8 wt for $44!
The real feels a little cheap but it does the job! You might want to put some better line on it after a while. But so far so good.
Posted By: mbarker68x

Re: Cabelas Three Forks Rod....Anyone Have any Experience With Them? - 07/24/16 11:55 PM

I have had a few over the years. No issues with performance, but everyone of them the reel seat came apart. After using 5 min epoxy no further issues.
Posted By: joebeasley

Re: Cabelas Three Forks Rod....Anyone Have any Experience With Them? - 07/29/16 02:18 PM

I've had a 5wt and 8wt three forks rod for just over three years now. Never had any problems with them.

I was new to fly fishing at the time, and I haven't found a reason to upgrade the rods.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum