Texas Fishing Forum

What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination?

Posted By: MUHerd

What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/15/16 07:34 AM

Hey all,

I haven't started with my fly fishing journey yet, but over the years I have watched all kinds of videos and thought about how awesome it would be to go on some of these adventures with a fly rod and some friends. So, I thought I'd ask you guys/gals about what fly fishing getaway you would go on if you had the chance. Lets make it easy. Imagine your name was drawn for an all expenses paid fly fishing adventure for you and 3 friends. You can go anywhere in the world and fish with or without a guide, if one is needed, for 5 days.

Where would you go and what would you fish for?

I'll go first. I don't know much about fly fishing yet, but I think I'd go to the Christmas Islands and fish for Giant Trevally. I watched a video on it a few times and was hooked, so to speak.

OK, your turn.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/15/16 11:40 AM

I still get excited about what I might find on my next local trip, usually on one the local bays or marshes here in SE Texas.

I didn't know GTs existed until seeing one of those videos pretty recently. They do look like scary fun on a fly rod. I still get buck fever when I stumble upon our local Jack Crevelle. Even a backing redfish can mess up my casting rythym.

Since you mentioned someone else paying the bill, I'd might pick an Everglades/Florida Keys flats and mangrove trip for bonefish, permit, snook, tarpon.

My dream might be to be dropped on some off the beaten path atoll or eroded volcano in the tropical Pacific with a selection of fly rods, a tying kit, and a mask, snorkel and Hawaiian sling. Give me a year or two to figure things out in a hut by a coconut grove beach while making friends with the natives.
Posted By: Hawkpuppy 1

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/15/16 01:05 PM

New Zealand for mammoth rainbows and browns would be up there. The true ultimate though would have to be Strobel Lake or Jurrasic Lake in Argentina
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/15/16 01:37 PM

I've been fortunate to have been to most all of them.

I'd like to go where no one else has gone. There is an outfit that runs a live aboard yacht and looks for remote islands and targets mainly GT's. Got my name on that list.

MUHerd, GT's are everything they say about them and more. The videos don't begin to capture the excitement of a GT on the fly rod.

Posted By: DainW

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/15/16 02:01 PM

We have to limit it to 1 place? I'd be torn between the following

1. Trout fising in Kamchatka
2. Trout fishing in Patagonia
3. Golden Dorado fishing in Argentina
4. Fishing for GTs in the seychelles
5. Steelhead fishing in BC
Posted By: Texjbq

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/15/16 03:59 PM

For me - 1. Trout fishing in Kamchatka
Posted By: Gamblingman

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/15/16 05:13 PM

For me it is New Zealand. The videos of the crystal clear water and huge trout make me want to figure out a way to be able go.
If I was rich I would be there right now.
Posted By: That Possum

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/21/16 01:44 PM

Back to Australia for more barramundi

Peacock bass in brazil
Posted By: Lloyd5

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/21/16 06:25 PM

Cuba flats fishing for Tarpon, Bonefish, and Permit.
Posted By: Dtheg

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/21/16 07:22 PM

I saw a show or maybe Orvis has a trip going to Cuba. I'll second Cuba also some stream in Montana away from crowds.
Posted By: Redfoxone

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/22/16 03:06 AM

Papua New Guinea - new guinea black bass
Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/25/16 01:47 AM

Panama for a mix bag of inshore/offshore fish. AJ's, bluefin trevally, cubera snapper, big roosters and then just offshore you get into bill fish, mahi, tuna.
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/25/16 02:19 AM

I am a coldwater guy - Kamchatka or a 3 month driving trip thru the Rockies with my dog.
Posted By: RonL

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/25/16 10:29 PM

I would want a guided trip to streams in all of Yellowstone N.P. covering all the park ! Then on up into Canada for whatever is good .
Posted By: Capt. Brendan

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/25/16 11:18 PM

Cuba for salt, Kamchatka for those amazing trout.

Posted By: cob

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/27/16 12:03 AM

Anywhere l can catch Smallmouth on a fly rod, preferably on a popper or pole dancer. Really enjoy Ontario.
Posted By: GunRunr

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/29/16 12:03 AM

Wherever there is fish, good company and beer.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 07/30/16 09:51 PM

New Zealand for sea run Browns. I'd really love to hit the Canadian Rockies in the elk river drainage.
Posted By: Catfish676

Re: What Is Your DREAM Fly Fishing Destination? - 08/03/16 06:45 PM

It was Cuba for me also, until I went this past April...Unreal. Cant imagine anything topping that, but im sure it exists... Also, Ascension Bay last month was pretty amazing. Maybe need to add Seychelles on the bucket list. Great thread - thanks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum