Texas Fishing Forum

I can't stop...

Posted By: Redfoxone

I can't stop... - 06/27/16 06:43 PM

Backstory: When I was in my late teens my cousin invited me to come fish trout in Idaho on the fly for a few weeks. Wasn't any good on the fly rod then but landed a few small trout. Came back to Texas and have been traditionally bass fishing for the last twenty years.

Well, a few weeks ago my cousin flew down from Idaho and I took him bass fishing for a week. We did really good. Caught a lot of bass, traditional bass fishing that is. On our last morning of fishing this guy pulls up in his boat, pulls out his fly rod, and commences to slay the bass right next to us. My cousin, who is a very proficient fly fisherman, affirms that this guy has good form and was a good caster. Well, after the fishing slowed down we pulled up to him and had a good visit. Turns out he is an instructor, and a few days later I start taking casting lessons from him.

Well, since then, I cannot look at my regular rods the same way. I haven't touched them since. Everywhere I go my fly rod is with me and I can't believe how good the bass/bream fishing is on the fly. I can't stop fly fishing, I may need professional help.

Posted By: ben_beyer

Re: I can't stop... - 06/27/16 06:56 PM

I recently went fly fishing for the first time in 9 years. It's all I've thought about since coming back and I'm interested in doing more moving forward. I've also been watching fly tying videos on YouTube to boot.
Posted By: Redfoxone

Re: I can't stop... - 06/27/16 07:03 PM

I will for sure be tying my own flies in the future.
Posted By: Bill Gammel

Re: I can't stop... - 06/27/16 07:13 PM

PM sent. Sounds like a fun start.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: I can't stop... - 06/27/16 07:36 PM

welcome to the addiction. I carry my flyrod everywhere, just in case thumb
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: I can't stop... - 06/28/16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass
welcome to the addiction. I carry my fly rod everywhere, just in case thumb

+1 you are officially addicted, I actually carry 2 or 3 fly rods with me, LOL

Next, you need to get into catching whites and hybrids on the fly. Nothing like catching a 5 lb. hybrid on the fly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum