Texas Fishing Forum

Flies for white bass and striper

Posted By: jimmytimmy87

Flies for white bass and striper - 06/22/16 09:41 PM

I want something that will imitate shad/shiners in a river. What do you suggest?
Posted By: mickfly

Re: Flies for white bass and striper - 06/22/16 10:21 PM

Clousers in gray over white or chartreuse over white.
Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: Flies for white bass and striper - 06/22/16 11:17 PM

Clouser, olive over white with gold flash.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Flies for white bass and striper - 06/23/16 01:10 PM

Clousers are good on whites. I like a lime punch on stripers in moving water.
Posted By: FishyB

Re: Flies for white bass and striper - 06/23/16 01:23 PM

JimmyTimmy87,

You can't go wrong with clousers in the varying colors mentioned. Knuckles and I use them, but we have had the most success on a white zonker, size 6. Proof is in the videos, check out our YouTube channel. Most recent from this past Saturday. There is a short piece of footage of what a white zonker looks like after 30 to 40 fish. smile Tight lines and good luck.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Flies for white bass and striper - 06/23/16 03:44 PM

If the current is fairly slow and/or the fish are feeding in the upper part of the water column I like to use a gray/white bead chain clouser with pearl flash, tied on size 8 or size 6 hooks. I normally use my 4 weight rod.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11525193/1

The absolute best lure I have found for creek fishing with conventional gear is a simple white marabou jig. So when I am fishing in heavy current or the fish are down deep I often throw a 1/32 ounce white marabou jig on my 8 weight. White, gray/white, chartreuse/white and flash are all good white bass and hybrid colors and minnow imitations.

White zonkers, cats hair whiskers, spinner flies and pencil minnow imitations are all popular white bass flies.
Posted By: pearow

Re: Flies for white bass and striper - 06/23/16 07:54 PM

caddo clouser and caddo beadhead:

Posted By: jimmytimmy87

Re: Flies for white bass and striper - 06/23/16 09:20 PM

Clouser seems to the magic bait. I started fly fishing when I lived in Missouri about 6 years ago. I got kind of frustrated with it bc I was teaching myself. I had no help from anyone. I wasn't very good. Last week, I went to Colorado and fished with a guide. He taught me a lot. I told him that I used to fly fish but I hadn't done it in a while bc I got frustrated with it. He told me something that really resonated with me. "You won't get any better at it unless you do it." I took it to heart, and now I'm trying to use my fly rod here in TX any chance I get. All of this is great info. Thank you.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Flies for white bass and striper - 07/12/16 03:09 PM

Jimmy, Ben and I have been fishing in the Lake Somerville spillway the last month. We are catching white bass surfacing in 2450 cfs of flow. The pattern that has been working best under these conditions has been a white on white clouser with chartreuse flash.

Posted By: glen6131

Re: Flies for white bass and striper - 07/12/16 03:18 PM

Nice looks good
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum