Posted By: 2dogkayak

Furled leaders for bass - 06/09/16 12:24 AM

Does anyone use them?

Fluorocarbon?

What is the advantage?

Bill
Posted By: Lloyd5

Re: Furled leaders for bass - 06/09/16 10:58 AM

I do, but not fluorocarbon, not that I'd have anything against it.

The advantage, in my mind, is that it turns a fly over nicely. By using it I can use shorter tippets. They aren't necessary, but I do like them.
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Furled leaders for bass - 06/09/16 11:04 AM

rrhyne56 on here makes some nice ones. I have one of his large flouro ones.
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Furled leaders for bass - 06/09/16 12:23 PM

Furled leaders shine in delicate presentation of smaller flies. The whole energy management/dissipation curve is nicer.
For laying a big old fat bug out there with a plop, they are not at all necessary. But they sure do cast nice!

I got out of the furled leader business a while back. Just wasn't viable for me. But there are plenty of folks out there who do sell them and, truth be told, it's not a huge investment to set up and learn how.
Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: Furled leaders for bass - 06/09/16 06:31 PM

Never fly fish without them. I have posted this video on how to make them yourself before. For fishing the lake I use 10lb P-line fluro coated co-poly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs
Posted By: Catfish676

Re: Furled leaders for bass - 06/09/16 06:42 PM

Would you mind sharing the contact info of someone who still makes them? Thanks.
Posted By: Lloyd5

Re: Furled leaders for bass - 06/09/16 06:58 PM

I always try to support local business when possible - but living out in the boonies that can be problematic - so I order mine off amazon and get them in the mail. There are multiple varieties listed on there. Just about anything for fly fishing is listed on there.
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: Furled leaders for bass - 06/09/16 11:45 PM

I use a furled leader for bass, I use a 2 and 3 foot on my fly rods. I like mine with tippet ring on the end and then use either fluorocarbon or mono line connected to the tippet ring. I bought mine on ebay

for me the main advantage is that I can just cut the line off the tippet ring and use a new piece instead of just connecting a new piece to the leader.
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Furled leaders for bass - 06/09/16 11:47 PM

I love Cutthroat Leaders. I have thread and flouro
Posted By: pearow

Re: Furled leaders for bass - 06/10/16 12:08 AM

I've used them for years; flor and regular mono. I still am using some Robin made for me years ago; they're tough if you clean them occasionally I am partial to the 3 foot for my lighter brim rods. They turn the fly over better than the tapered mono; they are easy to work with, especially those with the tippet ring. I use the 3 foot flor when I fish for bass using the weedless deer hair divers; really enhances the action of the fly-p-
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Furled leaders for bass - 06/10/16 04:53 PM

I make them out of braid.. best for heavy rods & short big bass leaders where pure strength is needed when trying to horse bass out of cover.. but these work just fine for lighter flies and rods.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum