Texas Fishing Forum

Memorial Day Weekend Report

Posted By: Ruffhouse

Memorial Day Weekend Report - 05/31/16 04:01 PM

Went to the creek this weekend and caught a few.

This guy looked like some kind of hybrid. He had a much bigger mouth than other bluegills I have seen

Good sized gill

Loved the stripes on this guy.

He was little but had such pretty blue color around his mouth.

Biggest of the day. Put up quite a fight.

Collage

All fish were caught on 5wt floating line 6lb "tippet"(its really just mono) using either a chartreuse betts fancy popper or a gold flash minnow.
Posted By: charlief1

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Report - 05/31/16 05:48 PM

The first and 4th are green sunfish. Got them in our pond and they can be very aggressive. I use bigger hooks because they have a habit of swallowing the smaller ones. I even had one that was the size of a #6 hook end up on my hook. roflmao It was as big as the hook was. eeks
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Report - 05/31/16 06:17 PM

Agreed, that's a Green sunfish, those Blue Gills are very nice, imagine the fight on 2 or 3 weight.
Posted By: Ruffhouse

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Report - 05/31/16 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Linecaster
Agreed, that's a Green sunfish, those Blue Gills are very nice, imagine the fight on 2 or 3 weight.

Yeah that is on my list. Been trying to figure out some creative accounting so I can consider that groceries in the budget roflmao
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Report - 05/31/16 09:42 PM

If you do the grocery shopping you should be able to wangle it. grin
Posted By: j_hirn2

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Report - 05/31/16 11:14 PM

I've been doing the grocery shopping and slipping in an extra $20 cash back at checkout out every time.

So far I've outffitted myself with an Orvis Recon 8 wt outfit and I'm working on some wading gear.

Hopefully the wife doesn't check up on my internet activity and see this.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Report - 06/04/16 08:38 PM

Greens and Bluegill! Nice fish. A super combination. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Report - 06/06/16 01:53 PM

Love those big Greenies. Our old golf course ponds were full of them, some to almost 1.5 pounds and 12". They attack worms, pheasant tails, and hoppers with abandon. Fun fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum