Texas Fishing Forum

UL fly fishing forum 3wt and below, keep it going.

Posted By: mbarker68x

UL fly fishing forum 3wt and below, keep it going. - 05/17/16 12:47 PM

How about a UL sub forum similar to the classifieds?
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/17/16 12:52 PM

a what?
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/17/16 12:53 PM

Good question. That would pretty much depend upon how much use it got. The Fly Fishingv section simply does not get all that much traffic, comparatively, and has been changed over the years as JP has streamlined TFF.

Why not start an ultralight thread and see who comes?

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/17/16 02:56 PM

I know I would
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/17/16 03:15 PM

Me too.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/17/16 03:47 PM

Here here 3wt and under.
Posted By: lambcotx

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/17/16 05:19 PM

I agree 3wt and under
Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/20/16 02:41 PM

100% on board with a 3wt section.
Posted By: joabsher

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/20/16 03:44 PM

I would be all over it, I have fished exclusively with my 2wt since I got it a month and a half ago.
Posted By: pearow

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/20/16 04:14 PM

just in case you are not aware, there is a ultralight fly forum already in existence.
www.ultralightflyfishing.com (I think)-p-
Posted By: j_hirn2

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/20/16 05:27 PM

I have been to that site and I see that there are a few members here that are also frequent contributors over there.

It gave me the ultra light bug and I have ordered a 3 wt setup and am awaiting delivery in the mail.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/20/16 07:17 PM

I love ultralightflyfishing .com and contribute to it all the time. I will continue to contribute. It is a great forum for ul fly fishing pretty much all over the world. I started this topic with hopes to get some more reports for our local waters.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/20/16 07:50 PM

Mbarker edit origiol topoic to put after 3wt and only rods. Then we can just keep it active as this thread.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/21/16 03:19 AM

Nice looks to have worked while keeping the forum streamlined. [img]http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums...DDCF7.jpg[/img]bert_bassman/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/CAF541F2-99F8-4281-A6C6-8FD7A717397A.jpg[/IMG][/URL][img]http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums...6D743.jpg[/img]G][/URL]my poor little 7"6' 3 really has been throw. The the wolves a few times but it hasn't failed me yet!!!!

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/21/16 03:27 AM

Really enjoying the three for sure!

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/21/16 03:31 AM

Any wondering about fighting trout to long have to realize at night i am 3-4 x only the Tim may touch the reel at times but they come in quick when you gain leverage. All fish giving needed baths upon release lol.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/21/16 08:41 PM

What are yalls favorite 3wt lines floating for distance?

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/24/16 08:36 PM

Well I headed down to San Gabriel Park in Georgetown yesturday. I didn't do very well. Couple of small gills and chased some gar but couldn't get them to take anything.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/24/16 08:39 PM

After yesturday I have a kink in my neck for some reason so decided to just hang around the house today. About 12:30 or so I couldn't take it any longer. Headed to a no name pond in one of the housing areas of FT Hood. Some shots of the Pond.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/24/16 08:42 PM

And the rod of choice today was my new Redington Classic Trout 2wt with Redington Zero 2/3 Reel. I'm Still using the back of a WF5F line waiting on the new line to get here.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/24/16 08:43 PM

A few of the Fish. Flies of the day: Foam Bug as my indicator started out with a San Juan Dropper , lost it and switched up to my orange tail bugger.

Posted By: fshng84

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/28/16 06:05 AM

Great thread! Been using a Fiberglass 2-Wt and several Micro Fly Rods. This last one was made using the top two sections of a broken 8-Wt Fly Rod, reel seat from a Penfishing Rod, and a micro fly reel. Casts well and catches fish. Latest outing was Friday evening - Bluegill, Sunfish, and a couple of Bass. Yesterday's Video. and pics of the two-piece Micro Fly Rod.
Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/28/16 12:23 PM

Some nice gills from the past few weeks on the TFO 3wt Finesse.

Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: UL fly fishing forum 3wt and below, keep it going. - 05/29/16 03:19 PM

I use my 3wt Cheeky/TFO 90% of the time...LOVE IT!

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/29/16 08:02 PM

2flyfish4 those are real nice Blue Gills.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/29/16 10:23 PM

Had a fun session on my kayak this morning with my 2 weight CGR and a Grasshopper, then changed to a TFO 2 Weight Professional with a Goober Bug. Caught mostly Green Sunfish.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 05/30/16 09:16 PM

Fun with the 2wt from yesterday. Working on another video from the morning. Bluegill were liking the Foam Grasshopper! Yesterday's Video.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/01/16 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: fshng84
Fun with the 2wt from yesterday. Working on another video from the morning. Bluegill were liking the Foam Grasshopper! Yesterday's Video.

Here is the other video from yesterday. Liking the fiberglass Two Weight Fly Rod!Overall, another fun time fishing.... Good thing we were able to fish yesterday, big storm is hitting our area currently. Stuck indoors today. Follow-Up Video.
Posted By: Jrann

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/01/16 02:36 AM

I moved down to the Georgetown/ Round Rock area about a year ago and I fish with a primarily with a 9' 6wt, needless to say there are some tight spots along Brushy Creek, the San Gabriel and these smaller rivers that make it tough. I honestly have never fished a 3wt, but it sounds like a blast. Any insight on a good entry level setup?

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/01/16 11:07 AM

I would go with a 2 and 4wt to match up with you 6 that you have. With that being said, TFO Pro II, TFO Finesse, Redington Classic Trout, Echo Carbon All come in the 2-5wt. All have waranties, and are good rods. I currently have a TFO Pro ll 8' 4wt, and a Redington CT 7 1/2' 2wt. Being just a little north of you I could not find my 2wt locally. No luck at Bass Pro or Cabela's, or Living Waters. Bass Pro has a few 3 and 4wts when I was there yesturday. TFO BVK and PRO ll
Posted By: pearow

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/01/16 02:24 PM

a sweet deal at cabelas. they have their fiberglass fly rods on sale and a 6 foot 2 weight would be ideal for the little creek. Also you can buy a three fork, 7'6" 3 piece 3 weight for $35 and its seriously worth 3 times that. I carry mine in my truck and in my yak; its a nice cheap rod, worth the money-p-
Posted By: Jrann

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/02/16 01:02 AM

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/05/16 03:06 AM

Went out this morning. Had fun with the 2wt fly rod at the local library pond! Went back out this evening to another pond. More fun... still working on the video.

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/05/16 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By: fshng84
Went out this morning. Had fun with the 2wt fly rod at the local library pond! Went back out this evening to another pond. More fun... still working on the video.

Second video is done... Saturday's Videos.
Posted By: Chatterbait

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/05/16 08:55 PM

Anyone tried the TFO 5' 1/2wt? I have one loaded with 2wf line and have had a good time with it.
Posted By: cob

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/05/16 10:16 PM

Got the TFO 8ft 3 wt BVK and the conversion kit changing it to 10 ft. I've used it for trout in Missouri and gills ( and an occasional bass) here in Central Texas. Really enjoy it. Very easy to cast and a lot of fun.
Posted By: keebranch

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/09/16 03:13 AM

Ok I'm in

Re: UL fly fishing forum - 06/09/16 08:30 PM

Wife kicked me out of the house last night after dinner. Decided to break the normal routine and head the opposite direction for a change. Water was clear and cool, so I wet waded up to the waist. Phone was in my pack so only 3 pictures of about the 20 fish I caught. Used my 2wt Classic Trout, Foam Bug as my indicator and a squirmy wormy. Had a few hits on the foam bug but nofish to hand.

Re: UL fly fishing forum 3wt and below, keep it going. - 06/11/16 03:46 AM

Finally got out for awhile tonight with my new Echo Base 3 wt. Managed a couple of small ones.

Re: UL fly fishing forum 3wt and below, keep it going. - 06/17/16 06:06 PM

I caught this GasperGoo at Lake Arlington on a 2 wt. I was using a #18 copper john with a strand of spider web as a tippet.
Amazingly on my next cast I hooked an even larger one, but as I was fighting it, it was eaten whole by a large bass. I played it for awhile before it broke my line.

Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Re: UL fly fishing forum 3wt and below, keep it going. - 06/17/16 08:19 PM

some under water shots of a nice longear

Re: UL fly fishing forum 3wt and below, keep it going. - 06/18/16 04:53 AM

Was able to get a round of fishing in today. No Bruisers but had lots of fun catching them using the two weight fiberglass rod. Fish went for tenkara flies initially, but shifted to striking "flying insects" landing on the water. So, put on the foam grasshopper and started catching them with it! Today's Video.

Re: UL fly fishing forum 3wt and below, keep it going. - 06/18/16 07:18 PM

Slow action this morning but did get a nice Catfish using the Micro Fly Rod! Fun stuff on ultralight fly fishing gear! Good thing we keep a Near Deere in the fly box at all times. Today's Video
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum