Texas Fishing Forum

Another decent day on Salado Creek

Posted By: foxracerblade

Another decent day on Salado Creek - 05/08/16 06:52 AM

Had another decent day on Salado Creek today, ended up getting the boy a fly rod so I could get him into it early, he's still getting the hang of it, we played around a little bit but he and I are learning together and I can't think of a better way to spend time together!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Another decent day on Salado Creek - 05/08/16 01:38 PM

coolphotos Lifetime Memories. cheers It just don't get any better! fish
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Another decent day on Salado Creek - 05/08/16 02:03 PM

Fantastic Stuff!!!

That's the way my dad started me. A 5 weight rod and some Betts Fancy Poppers.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Another decent day on Salado Creek - 05/08/16 09:25 PM

Looks like he is enjoying time with his Dad. Your fish are not shabby either
Posted By: mbarker68x

Re: Another decent day on Salado Creek - 05/08/16 10:06 PM

Nice, what weight is that Cabela's Three Forks Rod? I used to have 3,5 and 6wt. Great rods, only issue I had with them on all three the reel seat fell apart within the first 3 trips. Get you some instant mix 1 min epoxy and throw it in your bag. That way when it happens , it doesn't ruin the day. Simply dry off the wood and metal parts, squirt on the epoxy and reassemble. Just wait about 10 minutes for the epoxy to set up good, install your reel and keep fishing. I didn't learn the lesson the first time and ruined 2 additional days of fishing by the time I ran home, epoxied and all that. On a good note the three reel seats never fell apart again.
Posted By: foxracerblade

Re: Another decent day on Salado Creek - 05/09/16 01:11 AM

I got the 5wt, I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever really, and being new to fly fishing I really don't have any basis of comparison, I do feel like I'd have more fun fighting the fish with a slightly lighter setup, is a 4wt ideal for slinging poppers and catching 1-2 lb bass and sunfish? I'd like to see what a higher end rod feels like vs the three forks
Posted By: mbarker68x

Re: Another decent day on Salado Creek - 05/09/16 01:44 AM

I do 95% of my fishing with a TFO BVK 3wt. Not necessarily High end , but defiantly better quality than the 3 forks. Recently retired so any time you want to meet up more than happy to meet up and let ya use it. I've been meaning to get back on Nolan Creek There in Belton, just haven't . PM me when you have a time
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Another decent day on Salado Creek - 05/09/16 03:03 AM

Looks like a great trip and great pics. I sometimes feel that a high-end line helps in casting even more than a decent Rod although I will definitely second TFO!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum