Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Maker Malcolm Duke Passes

Posted By: mickfly

Rod Maker Malcolm Duke Passes - 04/28/16 06:08 PM

Last evening, I heard of the passing of my friend Malcolm Duke from his dear wife Kathie. Malcolm was perhaps the finest gentleman among many fine gentlemen I have met thru the sport of fly fishing. He was also a consummate craftsman of fine bamboo fly rods, including one of my own. So this morning I took the rod into the front yard and gave it a few casts, remembering all the discussions I had with Malcolm as it was being built and the times we spent in his front yard casting the rod and others of his making to insure it had just the right characteristics. I also thought of the rivers I fished with it, the trout I caught, and the admiring comments made by my fishing buddies as they cast the rod. Here's hoping that Malcolm has a prime beat on a stream in Paradise, casting to gorgeous, heavenly trout.
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Rod Maker Malcolm Duke Passes - 04/28/16 06:16 PM

Thank you Mick.
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: Rod Maker Malcolm Duke Passes - 04/30/16 02:35 PM

You are so right that Malcolm was a true gentleman. I met him only a couple of times, but I remember him as one of the most pleasant guys I've ever had the pleasure of chatting with.

One thing is certain... His craftsmanship was second-to-none when it came to split cane flyrods.

He will certainly be missed by many.

Rest in peace.

JR
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum