Texas Fishing Forum

Orvis Bankshot flyline

Posted By: Elkhunter71

Orvis Bankshot flyline - 04/02/16 11:21 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Bankshot line? Thinking of ordering it for my 6wt rod
Posted By: BoPro

Re: Orvis Bankshot flyline - 04/03/16 01:28 PM

The taper is similar to a Wulff Ambush lines. I use the ambush 215gr on my 3wt switch rod mainly for doing roll and skagit casts. It's not really made for overhead casting IMO... You could do it, but that's a short heavy head. The Bank Shot 6wt is 240 grs. That's almost a nine wt...

Are you looking to do single hand speys, or just a line to throw bigger flies?
Posted By: Elkhunter71

Re: Orvis Bankshot flyline - 04/03/16 09:13 PM

Thanks BoPro, I'm looking to for a good all around line to fish anything from sandies to Stipers. At the moment I just have one rod and trying to make it as versatile as possible.
Posted By: Orvis Houston Ben

Re: Orvis Bankshot flyline - 04/08/16 07:48 PM

I've spent a good amount of time fishing it, from the Lower Colorado for bass to Pike in Missoula.
It does a great job casting out of a boat towards the banks, taking a few hard strips and picking it back up and shooting back to the bank.
It doesn't do well with false casting.

For your situation Bankshot would not what i would recommend. If i were you I'd look at a bass line. My favorite taper at the moment is the Ignitor by Orvis or Grand Slam by SA, that might be another option but not for cold water or winter time fishing situations.

If you have any questions give one of the stores a call.
Posted By: mickfly

Re: Orvis Bankshot flyline - 04/15/16 02:16 AM

I have three bank shot lines and have used them in a variety of situations, from chucking streamers on the Battenkill and Bitterroot (where they worked well), to casting double dries in high winds on Lake Parmachenee in Maine (where they again worked surprisingly well), to casting tiny dries in calm winds during a bwo hatch (where they did not do well). They are specialty lines and that work well within narrow parameters they were designed for.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum