Texas Fishing Forum

Lower Mountain Fork Report

Posted By: JCG57

Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/07/16 04:23 PM

Fished the mornings of March 2nd and 3rd, only at Evening Hole. Caught 6 total, three of which were decent size (15-16 inches), all on white or black bead head buggers. Buddy caught a few on BWO after he saw some on the water. Perfect weather while fishing, big storm the evening of the 2nd that knocked a couple trees down across the park road - fortunately a park ranger got up very early and used a chain saw to open up the road. Took a look at the upper spillway but did not fish there - was running late.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/07/16 05:18 PM

I was there 4th and 5th, SLOW was my report. In 2 days I think I caught 10. Those Pea Wee fish they are stocking is a joke.....I got those in the city park across from my work. I guess they figure the Meat Hunters won't keep the lil guys and haul them off to the skillet.....boy were they wrong. The sardine cans were going to be filled regardless. smile
Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/07/16 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
I was there 4th and 5th, SLOW was my report. In 2 days I think I caught 10. Those Pea Wee fish they are stocking is a joke.....I got those in the city park across from my work. I guess they figure the Meat Hunters won't keep the lil guys and haul them off to the skillet.....boy were they wrong. The sardine cans were going to be filled regardless. smile

Sad. flame
Posted By: O2 Bubbler

Re: Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/09/16 06:32 PM

Was there on the 7th. Used eggs, rooster tails and some insects. Nothing.

Switched over to small worm pieces and caught the two that had been splashing in front of me in about 10 minutes. Then the wife calls for breakfast.

Was fishing at the point of the old fly house.

Re: Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/09/16 09:16 PM

Any reports on the river? I hope the gates stay shut....we are flooded out in Longview.
Posted By: ftwtodd

Re: Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/10/16 01:18 AM

I went up there Feb 26-28. Apparently they stocked on Feb 25 but who knows where, we certainly weren't in the place they did. Fished all along Spillway Creek Friday evening, starting at the spillway. Nothing was biting there so we made our way further down. We caught a few in the lower end of Spillway (above where Cold Hole was pre-flood, by where the old blue stocking pipe used to be). One was roughly 18-20" my buddy hooked into but got off. I personally only hooked into 1 or two that evening.

Saturday the 27th was slow fishing, didn't catch anything in Spillway myself. My buddy got a little one, but that was about it until we came back Saturday late afternoon to the Evening Hole bridge. Hooked into one tiny one above the bridge in some skinny water. Not much going on until we found a hole they were pooled up in next to the bridge. We pulled probably 30+ small stockers out of it in about 45 minutes. I was happy we ran into that hole, but I don't know how soon I will return to fish. It was freaking packed with fisherman and we didn't catch many quality fish. Hopefully they can rebuild it/restock it like it was, or maybe I just need to find the new holes to fish:)

Game wardens were out and we got checked, which was a first for me at LMF for the 6-7 years I've been going up there.

Re: Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/10/16 01:28 PM

^^^
I agree, not sure where they stocked or even if they did stock. I read they did the 25th, but I sure couldn't tell. I think I read 4000 fish, but I question that number. From what I hear they are stocking in the dark. Sure makes me wonder if they actually did. When I make deliveries to my customers they like to check the contents to make sure they are signing off and paying for the items they ordered.
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/10/16 05:51 PM

This sounds no good, but more like reality than the "chamber of commerce" stories that come along (expect one right after this post). Just to add insult to injury; when is Oklahoma's spring break? Talk about a zoo!

I guess the Blue River is over and almost done? They must be getting pounded by this rain (off color water and floods)? Heck of a warm year either way.

Lower Illinois here we come!

Re: Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/10/16 06:12 PM

I hung my trout rod up, bass rod time, followed by the Redfish rod!!
banana
I sure didn't get my fill of trout this winter like the years past. I guess my hunger will be that much stronger next fall/winter.
Posted By: RonL

Re: Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/11/16 04:00 PM

I'd love to have about 10 lbs of trout in my freezer ! I also wish I had about 10 lbs of black bass too !

Re: Lower Mountain Fork Report - 03/11/16 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: RonL
I'd love to have about 10 lbs of trout in my freezer ! I also wish I had about 10 lbs of black bass too !

shocked stir
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum