Texas Fishing Forum

New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16)

Posted By: FishyB

New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/07/16 02:38 AM

Good evening guys!

Just finished uploading our video from this past Saturday. Pretty excited about this video 1) great day on the water and lots of striper, 2) we added an introduction and closing to the video, that we can use on future videos and 3) awesome time with a new friend. Make sure you have volume on so you can get the full effect of the intro! smile

https://youtu.be/6-VJfqeN5D0

FishyB
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/07/16 03:08 AM

Very nice video Brent, Thanks for making me jealous. Must make a plan to get there again.
Posted By: jwinit

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/07/16 03:09 AM

Great video! It's tons of fun catching the man in the striped suit on a fly, how far down from the dam roughly were y'all
Posted By: Cowtown Kid

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/07/16 04:52 AM

Thanks for another great video from the Brazos!

texas texas
Posted By: 68camino

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/07/16 06:08 AM

Awesome video. I can't wait to get into stripers on the fly rod.

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/07/16 01:49 PM

Thanks guys! We are pretty proud of this one; definitely set the bar a little higher on future videos, lol! It's been too long since our last video, so very happy that we were able to produce something worth waiting for. Please subscribe to the YouTube channel!!

One of these days we will have to make a blooper reel; this was the second time that I have had a rock jump out in front of me and I have fill my waders! Yeah about 10 minutes in the water and filled up the left leg, LOL! smile

jwinit - We were fishing above Hwy 16 bridge. If you look at the Brazos below PK on a map, you will notice a pool directly below the dam, then a shallow area, then another pool, before another shallow area, followed by a chute. These are the areas we fish consistently. We park in the parking lot by the restrooms. Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions.

FishyB

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/07/16 08:43 PM

I added a post on the blog as well.
https://bassknucklesfishing.wordpress.com/2016/03/07/more-awesome-striper-fishing-on-the-brazos/

Tight Lines!
FishyB
Posted By: TrentonLee

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/07/16 09:25 PM

Nice video...I was out there Saturday and guess I had just missed you guys. Managed to pull this one in on my 4 wt. that evening

Posted By: zulo

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/08/16 03:00 AM

Well done Brent!
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/08/16 03:39 AM

Just keeping my fingers crossed we don't get another ga outbreak over there. Good fish!

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/08/16 05:54 PM

Nice fish Trenton Lee! We left around 11:30 AM Saturday.

Thank y'all for the comments and encouragement! This upcoming weekend, we will be at the Fly Fish Texas event in Athens, so no fishing to say of at the moment. We will certainly get some more video posts up as soon as possible!

Yeah, Robert, it would be a real shame if the algae got ahold of the river again; fingers crossed.

FishyB
Posted By: Mateo Clemente

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/10/16 04:37 AM

Nice work. Subscribed. What camera are y'all using?
Posted By: RonL

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/10/16 05:56 AM

Very nice video , thanks for sharing .

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/10/16 12:52 PM

Thank you Ron!

Thank you very much Mateo. You will laugh, but it is a Fujifilm XP80 point and shoot camera. smile It really does a nice job, it's waterproof, shock proof, dust proof, etc..... And I have dropped it in the water a couple of times, lol. Here is the link -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/fujifilm-xp8...p;skuId=3840048
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/10/16 02:18 PM

I'm the guy that went past y'all in the green kayak. I only managed one small lmb and one small striper on my spinning rod. I did manage 5 trout on my fly rod. Olive hares ear and BWO did the trick. That dang wind wore me out though. You know it's windy when you're in skinny, fast water and you have to paddle to get down stream.

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/10/16 03:29 PM

Nice to meet you FWBanger! Yeah, you don't hardly ever hear about working up a sweat going downstream, LOL! smile Did the trout have any size to them?

FishyB

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/10/16 04:26 PM

3 of them were decent size for stockers and two were typical pip-squeaks. I was just about to give up when I missed a tiny "nip" on my fly. I cast again and hooked up a trout. Then I started the typical, "if I can catch a few more I've got dinner for tonight" argument in my head. It took about 45 minutes to catch 4 more. They were all feisty though, you would have thought they were Marlins the way they were leaping out of the water. I was considering going back this weekend but these rains have me rethinking that plan.

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/10/16 05:01 PM

That's great FWBanger! We have a trip to Roaring River in May, looking forward to some trout myself!

FYI, the Graford USGS measuring station is currently reading 653 CFS. Not sure if the water level and current would be much fun this weekend, given we still have a couple of days of rain in the forecast. Hey, it would take care of that paddling downstream in a head wind problem go away! LOL smile

FishyB

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/11/16 01:50 AM

I did it once at >900 cfs in my Hobie Outback. Never again. I was by myself and started out before daylight. STUPID! I was wearing my pfd but if I would have turtled I would have never seen my Outback again.

Re: New Video - Awesome Striper on the Brazos (03/05/16) - 03/11/16 01:27 PM

That sounds like a good way to end up in the Gulf of Mexico, LOL! smile

They have shut things down on the PK dam, back to 192 CFS and 65.84 on the Graford station. Hopefully it will be a good weekend for everyone!

Won't be on the Brazos this weekend, off to Athens for Fly Fish Texas!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum