Texas Fishing Forum

5wt Recommendations

Posted By: Ckoen0312

5wt Recommendations - 03/01/16 03:04 PM

I"m looking for a starter 5wt outfit. I've got about $200 give or take to spend.
I've seen a lot of combos out there: Cabela's, Reddington, Orvis Encounter, and others.
I'd like to hear your personal experience with any 5wt combo or other suggestions.

Thanks!
Posted By: BoPro

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/01/16 03:34 PM

Most guys here will recommend TFO. I don't have experience with any TFO rods, but the NXT outfit can be had for about $200.
I bought my buddy an Echo Solo Outfit for $140 for his first fly rod, and he has been quite happy with it. I've cast it a few times while teaching how to fly cast, and for the price, it's a nice little combo.
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/01/16 03:36 PM

2nd the TFO. Lifetime no fault warranty. Reel isn't as important as the rod. Bass Pro has one in your price range.

http://www.basspro.com/TFO-Professional-...12092605220112/
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/01/16 04:00 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/TFO-Pro-Special-Fly-Rods/1589207.uts

I used it maybe 5 times before upgrading to to a tfo mini mag. Sell it for $60

I recommend getting Lamson Liquid Three-Pack Reel it comes with reel and three spools so you can swap out the lines. I have one spool for bass and another for trout.
Posted By: Ckoen0312

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/01/16 04:36 PM

OK great recommendations!
Posted By: Jesse10

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/01/16 04:44 PM

Redington products have never let me down, but you can't beat TFO on price and warranty.
Posted By: pearow

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/01/16 04:51 PM

I have many 5 weights as they are the perfect, "if you have only one rod". I have an 8'6" sage in almost mint condition that I would part with for a crisp $100 dollar bill. Some fishers love the sage rods-p-
Posted By: BoPro

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/01/16 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: pearow
I have many 5 weights as they are the perfect, "if you have only one rod". I have an 8'6" sage in almost mint condition that I would part with for a crisp $100 dollar bill. Some fishers love the sage rods-p-

Sage you say...? Just out of curiosity, what model? Strangely, I have just about every other wt Sage makes, but never felt the need for a 5 wt....
Posted By: RonL

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/01/16 05:41 PM

I just bought the Cabelas RLS+Fly Combo , Not used it yet but will soon . It can be had for $199.99 . If I upgrade in the future I plan to get the Orvis Clearwater combo . Both combos are good , depends what brand you want and budget . Orvis has 25 yr warranty .
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/02/16 11:29 AM

I have a 5wt Clearwater Combo and I love it. Great setup and great warranty on all of Orvis's products!
Posted By: tchunter

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/02/16 02:51 PM

TFO. They will replace it no matter what happens to it. Just remember to register it.
Posted By: Texorado

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/02/16 03:26 PM

I second the Cabela's RLS+. Great rod for the price and they're almost always having a sale. It'll last you well into your intermediate stages as well, it's not just a beginners rod. Unlike the other guy I have actually used mine extensively though lol.

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/02/16 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Texorado
I second the Cabela's RLS+. Great rod for the price and they're almost always having a sale. It'll last you well into your intermediate stages as well, it's not just a beginners rod. Unlike the other guy I have actually used mine extensively though lol.

Good to know on the rod combo , how long you had it and what's the biggest fish you caught with it ? I work 5 days a week ,I'm at least 2 hrs away from any half way decent fishing hole plus the fact I've only had it 2 weeks now . That's the reason I have not used mine yet . If I lived close to water I would be using it everyday wink
Posted By: Texorado

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/02/16 10:21 PM

I've had mine for about 2 years now. I'm from Colorado and I brought in a 26 inch rainbow on the Gunnison with it no problem, but the largest bass I've caught is only about ten pounds because I just got the rod to Texas for the first time since I bought it at the beginning of January. I've never had any problems fighting any of the fish I've had on because of the rod, most of the my problems are with bad knots. hmmm
Posted By: charlief1

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/05/16 05:26 AM

Just got a Reddington crosswater combo from Three rivers fly shop (they're closing the store) and it was unde $100 with shipping. Hopefully trying it out tomorrow time permitting. Previously had an Orvis clearwater combo that I loved but slipped on a rock in the smokeys and it went the way of the ecconomy. While TFO has the best warrenty (I treid to order 1), Reddington still has a decent warrenty and the price was right, considering that I've broken all but my good rods in the last few years. My antique bamboo rods only come out of the case to show someone what they look like now. roflmao Not kidding, just can't afford to replace them these days. mad
Posted By: fish shoot

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/08/16 11:48 PM

buy a GOOD line

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/10/16 05:45 AM

Just got a flyer in the mail today from Cabelas . Their RLS combo is on sale now for $159.99 . I just paid $199.99 a couple weeks ago frown . It's not reflecting the price on their website at the moment for Lubbock but I'm sure in a few days it will cause the flyer does for sure .
Posted By: JdDurango

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/14/16 12:57 PM

In that price range, TFO combo hands down.
Posted By: Bill Gammel

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/14/16 08:14 PM

TFO is a great product and you can't beat the warranty. If you just want something different try the Echo Base $89, the 6 and the 8 are really good. Both Echo and TFO are showing just how much you are paying for the name with these $700 rods. George Anderson does a 5 wt shootout every year. He compares about 15 5wts of all cost. Worth the read if you have time. If I were going to spend money, I would buy a Echo Base or TFO NXT, $30 reel and a premium line. They are generally worth the extra in my opinion. The Cortland Trout boss will be my next trout line. It has a thin core in the tip allowing more coating in the tip therefore the tip floats better. I don't know if that is true, but I will find out soon. I do know the liquid Crystal Guide series is a great casting saltwater line.
Posted By: pearow

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/14/16 09:37 PM

I think the only difference in lines is the outer coating, which is slicker on the high dollar lines. However, you can just clean the cheaper lines more often and they'l cast almost as good, unless you're a really good caster(which I'm not)-p-
Posted By: RexW

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/14/16 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: pearow
unless you're a really good caster

Hey Pearow, Bill qualifies as one of them. laugh
Posted By: Bill Gammel

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/15/16 02:02 AM

Pearow, I agree for the most part, unless what they say is true. Less core makes room for more of the coating which is where the floatation is. Most of the high dollar lines float higher which makes mending and pickup easier. The problem is that the thinner tip sinks on many lines and that defeats the purpose of a floating line. IF Cortland has improved this I think it is worth the extra money. I don't know that they have. I have just heard the sales pitch for the trout boss, but I plan on trying one.

For the most part I believe that the average fly fisherman will benefit from spending money for the premium lines $70 more so than that on a premium rod $700. That is not to say there are some good lower priced lines. Echo makes a line called the Sphere. My sons and I have fished it all over the mountain west and I can't say anything bad about it. It cost about $50. To answer the original question Ckoen asked, I would buy an Echo 5wt Base$89, echo Solo reel $35, and Sphere trout line $50. This would be an excellent set up and if the 5 cast like the 6 and 8, I would not call it an entry level outfit. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: 5wt Recommendations - 03/15/16 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill Gammel
Pearow, I agree for the most part, unless what they say is true. Less core makes room for more of the coating which is where the floatation is. Most of the high dollar lines float higher which makes mending and pickup easier. The problem is that the thinner tip sinks on many lines and that defeats the purpose of a floating line. IF Cortland has improved this I think it is worth the extra money. I don't know that they have. I have just heard the sales pitch for the trout boss, but I plan on trying one.

For the most part I believe that the average fly fisherman will benefit from spending money for the premium lines $70 more so than that on a premium rod $700. That is not to say there are some good lower priced lines. Echo makes a line called the Sphere. My sons and I have fished it all over the mountain west and I can't say anything bad about it. It cost about $50. To answer the original question Ckoen asked, I would buy an Echo 5wt Base$89, echo Solo reel $35, and Sphere trout line $50. This would be an excellent set up and if the 5 cast like the 6 and 8, I would not call it an entry level outfit. Hope this helps.
+1,000 except I would go tfo on the rod. My favorite reel I'm using right now was 16 bucks on clearance. If yo know anything about me I don't just catch fish I push limits and as long as the drag is smooth to handle light lines it money. Have three years on the 16 dollar reel and it's done fantastic. Line though can turn a novice into a pro and a pro into a sniper. This is where you get the most bang for your buck so to say in fly fishing by a long shot and it's not even close. Looking at a new rio line for my eight for chunking the biggest nastiest flys you can think of. But recently got cortland for my four and man I absolutely love it it rolls it mends it shoots and its sensitive to strikes real impressed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum