Texas Fishing Forum

What do you wear with Waders ?

Posted By: RonL

What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/18/16 05:35 PM

Just dumb founded on waders everyone so take it easy on me . Just wanted to know when you wear boot waders where the boots already attached , do you wear any kind of shoes also or just sock feet ? Just wondering cause I have a pair of rubber boots that I used for yard work and I just have sock feet with them . If I wear them too long or do any digging they kill my feet . So what do you wear with waders ?
Posted By: mickfly

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/18/16 07:27 PM

I have one pair of bootfoot waders that I wear in one of two situations -- when it is extremely cold, or when I am fishing the surf. In either case, I will wear one or more pairs of heavy, synthetic socks. Of course, it depends on the boot size. My bootfoots are about a half size larger than my street shoes.
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/19/16 11:53 AM

I have a pair of neoprene hunting waders I will wear if it is real cold and just put on wool socks. You get the boot size to fit your feet.
Posted By: JdDurango

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/19/16 04:37 PM

Nothing

banana
Posted By: winchester44

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/19/16 08:41 PM

Like any piece of footwear good quality and the right size will go a long way towards keeping you comfortable. Most, but not all boot foot waders are heavily insulated for cold conditions and a decent medium weight boot sock should do the trick.

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/19/16 11:47 PM

Do they really keep you dry also ?

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/20/16 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: RonL
Do they really keep you dry also ?

Unless you have a leak or sweat a ton they keep you completely dry

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/20/16 12:48 PM

I think most on here would agree that the waders without the boots are better. Right now Three Rivers Fly Shop is having their going out of business sale so you could get some waders and boots for less than a hundred a piece
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/20/16 09:33 PM

Yea I will second go with stocking foot on them
Posted By: j_hirn2

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/21/16 05:11 PM

I have a question about the sock foot waders. I would prefer to buy them but can you wear something besides wading boots with them? I really cant afford waders and boots right away and would like to get the waders now with tennis/canvass shoes or something else (converse all star high tops?) and get the boots later.
Posted By: Lane H.

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/21/16 05:12 PM

For Texas, get a good pair of breathable stocking-foot waders (Orvis Encounter are reasonably-priced and good quality; as are Redington Crosswater waders) and a good wading boot (I prefer rubber soled). Again, Redington and Orvis make good-quality entry-level boots.

Under my waders, I wear long wading socks (from Simms) and a baselayer (like Under Armor; I have a special pair of thermal baselayers from Simms that I wear in cold weather). I usually just wear a t-shirt for my top, though I've got some long-sleeved fishing shirts that I can wear if it's cold or too sunny.

In the summer, you don't even need all that (though with breathable waders you'll be OK). In the summer, I just wear some wading shoes from Simms (rubber-soled) and some gravel guard socks (big neoprene socks), usually with a pair of shorts and enjoy the cool water.
Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/22/16 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: j_hirn2
I have a question about the sock foot waders. I would prefer to buy them but can you wear something besides wading boots with them? I really cant afford waders and boots right away and would like to get the waders now with tennis/canvass shoes or something else (converse all star high tops?) and get the boots later.

My answer is yes but no. You can wear tennis shoes over the neoprene booties on the breathable waders but I would not recommend it. Not enough protection for the stocking foot at the ankle level. The high top boots offer needed protection both for you and the booties in case you rub a rock or get your foot stuck.

BassPro currently has a great sale on their Osprey breathables at $90 and their boot at $45. I just bought them last week and have been wading the shores of Twok to figure out my under garment configuration. Frankly, I'm impressed with them.

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/22/16 05:32 PM

When you choose a set of boot-foot waders do you go by boot size ? For me most shoes I wear are size 9 but I also have 9-1/2 in some shoes .
Posted By: winchester44

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/22/16 08:36 PM

Yes, this is generally correct. Same size, but there are exceptions. I have found certain boots that I have to go up or down a full size between models from the same manufacturer in boots and waders. I would highly recommend you try them on first with your intended footwear. Just out of curiosity where do you plan to use them?
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/22/16 09:57 PM

Adult diapers.
Posted By: Resh

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/23/16 12:38 AM

For stocking foot, breathable waders get the same size boot as you would wear shoe. If you are doing a lot of fast water walking then you may consider a better pair of wading boots that protect and support your ankles. If you are doing shallow wading in bays of lakes or around most of our area creeks, go get a $20 pair of football or soccer cleats. Works great for anything but walking on rocks and much cheaper than boots.

If you are looking for something warmer, neoprene will be your friend, but you will sweat your butt off if you're working very hard and it's over about 45 degrees. The only reason I would consider neoprene, stocking foot waders is if you float tube, and the lug sole waders are harder to put fins on.

Traditional fast moving trout streams: stocking foot, breathable, good rubber sole wading boots.
Lakes, bays, and area creeks: stocking foot, breathable, soccer cleats.
Either of the above if you're a wimp in the cold: neoprene, and usually lug sole.

Oh, and to answer the original question specifically, just wear a banana hammock, prevents chafing yet maintains range of motion for anything you might encounter.

Re: What do you wear with Waders ? - 02/23/16 01:21 AM

I do not know what your budget is, but like I mentioned earlier, Three Rivers Fly Shop [40% off everything left] has their Redington Crossriver Stockingfoot waders for $65.97 and Redington Palix River boots for $53.97.

I think Academy has some wading boots for 30 something bucks

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum