Texas Fishing Forum

Lower Mountain Fork vs Blue River

Posted By: TexasBassBuster

Lower Mountain Fork vs Blue River - 02/11/16 07:08 PM

I was thinking about going to the Blue River this Saturday until I saw a post on Facebook that said the Lower Mountain Fork was opening back up after the floods. Is anybody going to Lower Mountain Fork this weekend? Will fish still be there? I'm just assuming that they have not stocked it in a while and the fish will be scarce. I'm new to river fishing and have never been to LMF.

Thanks.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Lower Mountain Fork vs Blue River - 02/11/16 08:52 PM

It might be the best is been in a while, the oklahoma wildlife department has stocked it at least twice since the flood and no one has fished it so there might be a ton of fish, not to mention there will be bonus fish in the river like walleye, sandies, catfish, and black bass because of the flood.

Re: Lower Mountain Fork vs Blue River - 02/11/16 10:09 PM

thanks.

I called both LMF and the Blue River and asked if they have done any stocking and the Blue River stocked Yesterday and the LMF stocked today. Both of the ladies told me that they do not know where they stock the fish but the fish should be all over. The LMF lady did tell me that if the roads are closed in certain stocking areas that they did not stock there...so I guess that narrows it down a little.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Lower Mountain Fork vs Blue River - 02/12/16 01:09 AM

Have a friend at broken bow now I'll just say it's decent bolt
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: Lower Mountain Fork vs Blue River - 02/12/16 02:29 PM

Stay away from LMF - it is awful, terrible, scary, no fish. OH, I will be there this weekend.

Stocked 4x since floods. Stocked only in certain areas due to lack of trails. Whole new river. VERY Crowded - everyone and their brother was waiting for it to open.

If you want peace, go to the Blue. If you want big fish and to meet 2000 new friends, go to LMF.

Re: Lower Mountain Fork vs Blue River - 02/12/16 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Golfer Jeff
Stay away from LMF - it is awful, terrible, scary, no fish. OH, I will be there this weekend.

Stocked 4x since floods. Stocked only in certain areas due to lack of trails. Whole new river. VERY Crowded - everyone and their brother was waiting for it to open.

If you want peace, go to the Blue. If you want big fish and to meet 2000 new friends, go to LMF.

Thanks.
Posted By: Texomasooner

Re: Lower Mountain Fork vs Blue River - 02/15/16 04:02 PM

I made the trip up to LMF this weekend. Jeff is correct with the population of fishermen. It forced me to fish areas I had thought about but never fished. I ran in to Eddie and Dan from the fly shop and we swapped stories and caught several fish as we talked. I did wind up in a few new places (for me anyway) and caught the largest Rainbow I've ever landed. I've been catching more numbers at Blue but very seldom catch one in the 14" class. Most of the Blue River fish (for me anyway) are 9-12 inches.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Lower Mountain Fork vs Blue River - 02/15/16 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Golfer Jeff

I was saddened by the looks of LMF, after the last flood I just thought I was SAD, this is a whole new level of sadness.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum