Texas Fishing Forum

Fly Fish Texas

Posted By: Trout Bum

Fly Fish Texas - 02/08/16 03:26 AM

Fly Fish Texas. March the 12th. A great lineup and full days worth of activities.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/visit/specialevents/flyfishtx/
Posted By: RonL

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 02/08/16 02:47 PM

Looks like it would be fun but an event I will not be able to attend frown .
Posted By: love2flyfish

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/10/16 07:02 PM

Great event. I went last year and plan to go again this year.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/10/16 08:07 PM

Someone attend the 2 hand casting clinic and take notes for me, I can't be there this year.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/10/16 09:01 PM

Two handed fly casting looks easy enough. I always thought it was just how you handle a heavy salt fly rig. Didn't know it had a name. Dad started me fly fishing when I was 5 yo. We fished the Little Red up in the AR Ozarks, good memories.

So, anyhow, all my bad fly casting habits are well entrenched in me.

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/10/16 09:16 PM

It's not hard to get short distances up to 50', but I want that 75-100' cast. smile
Posted By: Charlie47

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/11/16 03:14 AM

Can I get to a class each hour? Will I have time to get from one class to the next?
There are so many good classes! Thank-you!
Posted By: RexW

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/11/16 03:52 AM

Yes, you should be able to attend a class each hour, but you may be a few minutes late to some of them depending on the location. However, this is a pretty laid back event and arriving late or leaving early shouldn't be an issue. I had people coming and going throughout my presentation last year.

I'll be in the casting area most of this year. Stop by and say hello.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/11/16 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
It's not hard to get short distances up to 50', but I want that 75-100' cast. smile

With a two-handed rod? The shortcut to that distance is to use an 8 or 9 wt rod with a Skagit head line. laugh
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/12/16 01:48 AM

Looks like J-Moe and I will be making the trip to Athens for the Fly Fish Texas event.. those fish better beware!
Posted By: flyfshrgrl

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/12/16 05:03 AM

Cody and I will be tying in the pavilion. I will be tying the John Peterie pink foam fly pin to submit to the Texas CfR. If anyone has some time and would like to help, I would appreciate it!

See y'all Saturday!
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/13/16 12:01 PM

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/14/16 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: RexW
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

With a two-handed rod? The shortcut to that distance is to use an 8 or 9 wt rod with a Skagit head line. laugh

TFO Deer Creek Switch Rod, I got the 7 weight with Skagit Heads and Lazur Running Line. MOT Medium Weight Tips. My favorite rod I own right now!
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/14/16 07:07 PM

From my understanding you can go down to a 3 weight rod with a 150 gr8 OPST head and MOW tip and achieve those distances.Look at the OPST Commando head web site and look at their video's. A real eye opener.

Re: Fly Fish Texas - 03/15/16 03:24 PM

^^^
Yeah I saw their OPST head after I bought my Rio Skagit head. I love their videos on that stream. That is very much what I am doing.

I love the OPST Lazur Line, that stuff is SLICK!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum