Texas Fishing Forum

Brazos below Whitney is down

Posted By: Lloyd5

Brazos below Whitney is down - 01/30/16 04:38 PM

It may be a sign of return to normal. Today the river hasn't come up as of yet. That's been a long time coming.

The lake level is 1' below normal pool. Last night wasn't cold so apparently the grid didn't need Whitney's hydroelectric contribution. I'm guessing at the COE's motives, no one really knows what they are thinking. But, it's fairly logical to believe that with the lake back down and mild weather they withheld release.

This could be the start of a new trend. Time will tell. But if the lake stays down and when the weather is mild we may see fishable days below the dam. Assuming they haven't blocked off access due to the new fast release system.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Brazos below Whitney is down - 01/30/16 10:49 PM

From what I heard no more wade or bank fishing boat only are the new rules

Re: Brazos below Whitney is down - 01/31/16 05:47 AM

Stephan woodcock at backwoods Said some folks from Fort Worth flyfishers I think got the word from the core. Really stinks we keep loosing good wadding places.

Re: Brazos below Whitney is down - 01/31/16 01:35 PM

The COE's mission apparently doesn't include or take into account the recreational use of the river. Fishermen are of no consequence to them. It's a big anonymous machine.

Re: Brazos below Whitney is down - 01/31/16 10:13 PM

Yea I had a friend made the trip over call me on a rant about it. I just don't understand why they can sound the horn earlier when they run it. I've seen it rise and fall several times. There is no way they can make me believe that that water is just going to spew out and fill up that valley before you can walk away to the lot. Even when they are generating quite a bit you can still walk out to the sand bar. Don't tempt the core next thing you know they'll try to take away our navigable waterway access away paddle down the river to a high fence and no trespass signs lol. What I don't understand since this is going to be such a "rapid rise" and water I assume that means that we need to spend a couple of million dollars in tax dollars to run the horns down the entire length of the river the rest of the way because if you're in danger there you'd be in danger anywhere from a rapid rise.

Re: Brazos below Whitney is down - 01/31/16 10:56 PM

I drove by there today and the gate was closed on the Hill County side. Not even boat access from the looks of it.

I've watched the water come up several mornings and it does come up faster, but it's not like a sudden surge or a tidal wave. There's plenty of time to get out. However, by the time it gets here it's had 9 miles to stretch out and that may not be indicative of what happens at the dam.

The article I read implied but didn't state that in the previous system they would sound the horn and let the water out gradually. The new system sounds like they blow the horn and let it rip all at once. More of an instant full flow, and about 500 cfs more now than before to boot.

I'd need to be there and see it happen to really understand how fast and high it will come up now. Not much odds of me being there though.

Re: Brazos below Whitney is down - 01/31/16 11:36 PM

Yeah that is really sad it really just sounds like blatant disregard to public land. I hope they don't wonder why their kids sit in their room and play on gaming stations all day. Really sad! yea I know by the time it stretches out that far it would not be that big of a problem I just figure that's what they're going to try to pull next is using millions of Our tax dollars to do something stupid like that.
Posted By: dfwflyfisher

Re: Brazos below Whitney is down - 02/01/16 02:02 AM

This is really frustrating. I just discovered the beauty of the tailwaters last fall thanks to Lloyd. I was excited about getting on the water this spring.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum