Texas Fishing Forum

Long day on the river question

Posted By: jwinit

Long day on the river question - 01/21/16 07:49 PM

Do any of y'all pack a backpack stove for boiling water for instant coffee/tea cup of noodles or back packer meal for long days on the river I'm thinking about. Getting a cheap set up for that just curious if anybody else did this or thought of it
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Long day on the river question - 01/21/16 07:52 PM

that is an excellent plan!

Re: Long day on the river question - 01/21/16 08:10 PM

Ya my wife got me the Stanley adventure cook set for Christmas and I think with a little backpack stove it would make a long day that much better I just don't know what would be the best with the cook set
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Long day on the river question - 01/21/16 08:21 PM

I have a Stanley thermos that I carry hot soup in. I have another one for hot cocoa ( I don't drink coffee). They fit easily in my back pack. I never thought about packing a hiking stove in for cooking meals but that does sound pretty neat.

Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Long day on the river question - 01/21/16 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Mac
I have a Stanley thermos that I carry hot soup in. I have another one for hot cocoa ( I don't drink coffee). They fit easily in my back pack. I never thought about packing a hiking stove in for cooking meals but that does sound pretty neat.

I see a cigar coming after that Jeff. Hey jake I got a little micro one the other day has smaller fuel cans. So fits right in my pack. It works really well even made some breakfast tacos on it at camp one morning. You should try my technique I'll try to catch so many fish but I forget I'm hungry LOL. I actually picked up that little stove at Walmart. Was 30 bucks I think.

Re: Long day on the river question - 01/22/16 01:37 AM

Was it the sterno one Robbie
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Long day on the river question - 01/22/16 04:45 AM

Yes worked real well! And very compact and cheap.
Posted By: centex7

Re: Long day on the river question - 01/22/16 02:40 PM

Its not that small but I am looking at purchasing a ghillie kettle for this purpose.
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: Long day on the river question - 01/22/16 02:46 PM

Anyone take the kitchen sink too? food

I like RObert's suggestion.... catch so many fish and hike far enough to forget about hunger till its dark. But then again, I have fat reserves for weeks.......
Posted By: et-tom

Re: Long day on the river question - 01/22/16 03:41 PM

I have a kelly kettle that I carry in my car. You can boil within minutes with only twigs.
Posted By: Aggroman

Re: Long day on the river question - 01/22/16 04:49 PM

I have a Jetboil flash, 1 fuel canister, and 1 freeze dried meal as part of my bugout bag I keep in the kayak when out all day. It's more for emergency than anything though. My time is so limited to fish, I usually never bother with an actual cooking meal, just sandwich, jerky, etc. I can eat later, I need to fish now before it's another month before I get out. lol. I should add, I love a lot of the smaller/lightweight cooking methods, but around my county, we seem to be in a burn ban 10 months out of the year. That's how I wound up with the jetboil.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum