Texas Fishing Forum

DFW Wading Fishing??

Posted By: Texjbq

DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/19/16 02:38 AM

I recently started dating a girl living in Irving and now spend every other weekend in DFW. I'm not asking for your honey holes (unless you want to PM them to me blush), but I'm looking for any info on spots I should go that I can wade and find some fish to take a fly. I don't care what kind of fish either, I'm usually content catching bluegills all day.
Posted By: jcramer678

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/19/16 02:23 PM

Lots of little city ponds around dfw that are all loaded with bluegill. I normally just open google maps on my phone and look around for blue. Gills haven't been biting for me real well since it got cold, but I can normally catch 50-75 at the neighborhood ponds. Also check the TPWD website for trout stocking locations at local ponds.

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/19/16 02:24 PM

As far as wading, there's not gonna be much compared to San Marcos. Brazos and Texoma are about it.
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/19/16 02:41 PM

Lots of bank fishing.... some wading when the sandies start to run. Any inlet to our large lakes is good in February/march/april. I am sure others know more than me, I am pretty much a trout guy.
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/19/16 08:55 PM

I don't know of any places I would want to wade in Irving, meaning most of the bottoms are soft and muddy. There are enough ponds that I don't have to get my feet wet to fish. The canals in Los Colinas are mostly posted, but the ponds around MacArthur and Highway 114 are not. I have had good luck up and down MacArthur.

I have not waded it, but the creek that flows into Bachman Lake over by Love Field only 10 mins from Irving maybe a worthwhile place to try. The lake has fish in it, but they seem to avoid me most days over there, but the creek during spawn is supposed to be good.

-Good Luck
Posted By: TarponFly

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/20/16 01:16 PM

White Rock Creek down town Dallas. Start at Greenville and Royal and work your way down. Soccer cleats recommended. Clay banks around Dallas will put you on your rear end a lot. Academy has them for $10-20
-blue gills, black bass, white bass, crappie. I'd wait till spring. Not much activity up stream this year.

Rowllett Creek feb-may, white bass run. Hybrids show up in March. Firewheel road and centerville area in garland.

Upper hickory creek. Park at Old Alton Bridge. Same as rowlett creek. Hearing rumors they have already started a run up that creek.

Below all the dams right now. Everyone is releasing water.

Denison dam still kicking out Striper. I like to go when they are not generating.

Ray Roberts carp flats, that's a favorite. Just like walking the flats for reds.

All the creeks in Dfw have blue gills and black bass native to them. Some have big ones and some have little ones.

The trout they stock here in Dfw are usually just fish sticks and not worth your time, if you travel for trout like up in broken bow.

Check out the bank fishing section. It's alive right now, but comes super alive in March as all the fish in Dfw come shallow.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/20/16 02:25 PM

Great tips tarpon
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/20/16 02:47 PM

And an appearance by the one and only TarponFly! Great tips. This is the year I finally hit one of those white bass runs......
Posted By: Texjbq

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/20/16 04:25 PM

Thanks for all the advise. I will definitely hit the runs when they get going. I should say I'm not married to wading, just that I don't have a watercraft. Anywhere a fly can be thrown without the use of a boat is what I'm interested in. I did just post in the bank fishing forum, I'm sure I'll get some good advise there as well.

Quote:
Below all the dams right now. Everyone is releasing water.

Denison dam still kicking out Striper. I like to go when they are not generating.

Maybe this is the million dollar question, but let's say I know I can fish Sat and Sun morning. How do I know if I should go or that they won't start generating when I get there?

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/21/16 03:09 AM

What park is closest to the carp flats at Ray Roberts? Been wanting to head up that way for some time now.
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/21/16 03:40 PM

This link shows the current flow out of denison

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/ops_hydropower/DENIhydro.html

This is the schedule they post

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/power/hydropower.html
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/21/16 10:28 PM

LLELA you can wade fish up there this time of year they stock it with trout.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/22/16 07:09 AM

Serious about the girl and going to be around for a bit. There is about to be an explosion of creek fishing all around dfw. Will be the best run in a long time. Only isolated runs that sadly had been vacant of other anglers for a few years that word head finally got out and turned to combat fishing. people will be able to spread out this year if you're going to be around this spring sandbass fishing will be fantastic. There may be creeks that have never had a run have a run this year everything is flowing. Find a lake find any tributary and start fishing fish are already showing up. I don't catch many Sandbass during the run but if Its really going and I don't catch 100 a half day I'm mad bolt as for gills as others have said there are a ton of city park ponds loaded with gills. Also there are a lot of ponds in the housing developments that do not have an H OA and no no trespassing signs with fantastic fishing. Should be good
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/22/16 07:37 AM

Robert likes it when you stand behind him and cast over his shoulder - at least, that's what I heard. smile
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: DFW Wading Fishing?? - 01/22/16 09:40 AM

Only if it's a two oz. slab on 60 pound braid and I'm catching fish In two feet off water roflmaowe don't have long bud!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum