Texas Fishing Forum

Fly Selection for the Guadalupe?

Posted By: TxStLipRipper

Fly Selection for the Guadalupe? - 01/12/16 04:19 AM

I'm gonna be heading to the Guad for my first fly fishing trip here in the next couple of days. So, what are some flies I should toss out there to grab their attention?? They tend to be smaller so what size fly also?

Thanks,
Cameron
Posted By: tw1st3d5

Re: Fly Selection for the Guadalupe? - 01/12/16 11:18 AM

I was down at Action Angler last Friday and from talking to people they were biting on white eggs. I had luck with white wooly buggers personally. I didn't hear of anything else working. As for being small, yes the state stockers are but the GRTU ones are much larger. Out of the 6 I caught that day, 2 of them were 18" and 20".
Posted By: Texjbq

Re: Fly Selection for the Guadalupe? - 01/13/16 02:40 AM

Size 14 - 18 Eggs, white and orange are good but I don't think the color really matters. Size 20-22 midges.
San Juan Worms, pheasant tail nymphs, hares ear nymphs.
Posted By: jcramer678

Re: Fly Selection for the Guadalupe? - 01/19/16 05:13 AM

Went today and couldn't get anything to bite. Water was really stained.
Posted By: JHBoat

Re: Fly Selection for the Guadalupe? - 01/19/16 04:17 PM

Texjbq has it right on the money. Eggs in white or light pink/yellow. I'd fish a nymph dropper below your egg.
Posted By: mickfly

Re: Fly Selection for the Guadalupe? - 01/24/16 12:38 PM

I've fished the Guad for 20 years and what seems to work best, year after year, are double nymph rigs under an indicator with enough weight to get the flies deep. Current flows are about 300cfs, which are just about perfect for good fishing. That gives the trout enough water to spread out and establish feeding lies in all parts of the river, so the key to success may not be the specific flies you use but rather finding the prime lies and presenting your flies in an appealing manner. That said, I'd use a bright attractor (egg pattern, San Juan worm, Squirmy worm, Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail) on top, and a small, dark nymph (One Biot Nymph, zebra midge, red annelid) as a dropper. Make sure to use a tungsten bead on your attractor or small split shot.
Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Re: Fly Selection for the Guadalupe? - 01/24/16 05:14 PM

hot head pheasant tails, regular pheasant tails, eggs and san juan worms under an indicator
smaller size 10-12 wooly buggers in olive, white, yellow have worked really good for freshly stocked fish. you can also slowly strip a wooly bugger and trail a small 16 size soft hackle or pheasant tail behind it. when the fish aren't overly aggressive that can be very effective, they will hit the trailer fly 75% of the time.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Fly Selection for the Guadalupe? - 01/25/16 09:23 PM

Yea have a buddy that hits it frequently down there I'm surprised he has not chimed in. Everything I've always heard is that in the tractor with the pheasant tail is the way to go San Juan worm egg something bright to get their attention then they hit the trail fly.
Posted By: JHBoat

Re: Fly Selection for the Guadalupe? - 02/01/16 04:49 PM

mickfly, this exact setup put me on trout this past Thursday. Thanks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum