Texas Fishing Forum

PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16

Posted By: FishyB

PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/04/16 03:01 PM

Like many, Knuckles and I were chomping at the bit to kick off the 2016 fishing season. I had been monitoring the flow rate on PK Dam for a couple of days and was really hoping that we could get lines wet this past Saturday. January 2, might as well have been Christmas morning; I was wide awake at 5:30 AM and refreshing the BRA website every 5 minutes, waiting to see when they were going to close the gate. At 7:30 AM, the CFS dropped from over 8,000 to 300; by 7:45 AM Knuckles and I were on the road.

We arrived at the usual parking spot around 9:30 AM to find several vehicles already in the parking lot; fortunately for us, they were bait chunkers and perched on the rocks. Actually there were a couple of guys that we saw further down stream that were targeting trout, but they had a mission and were not in the places we wanted to fish for stripers.

As we walked across the little island towards the second hole, things weren't quite right. We were walking through water about 30 feet from the edge to the main body of water. I was thinking the water was still up and that we were going to have a difficult time getting to the channel to fish. In all actuality, the river bed has changed drastically from the recent releases and has made many new sand bars, pools, cuts and even changed the main channel. This is going to take some getting use to for those that remember fishing this area in November and early December.

Knuckles and I got into a couple of nice stripers, but seemed to find many more sand bass on the fly this trip. At least we were catching fish and off to a good start for 2016! Here is a short video: https://youtu.be/gwy4JqzMQvE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tight lines and wish everyone a prosperous 2016 fishing season!
FishyB
Posted By: ElectricSixes

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/04/16 03:50 PM

Good day fishing! Thanks for sharing the pics and video!
Posted By: Hagphish

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/04/16 05:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm heading there tomorrow with a first timer, and I haven't fished that area in a month or so. I'm looking forward to getting him on some fish.
Posted By: GoodOleG

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/04/16 06:13 PM

Looks like y'all had a good day. We went out yesterday to start the New Year off right! The recent release has definitely moved the river around. We caught plenty of angry, healthy striper. Was a great day on the water! Tight lines Gents and I hope 2016 brings you much success on the water!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/04/16 09:22 PM

Nice job GoodOleG. One of these days we will need to meet up and fish. smile

I have added a write up to the BassKnucklesFishing blog about the weekend and also a recap of 2015, in case anyone is interested.

Check out: https://bassknucklesfishing.wordpress.com/2016/01/04/2015-and-beyond-plus-fishing/
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/04/16 09:45 PM

Congrats .. I was watching the water levels as well, but I messed my back up Friday cleaning some stuff around the house and complained a little to much to the wife smile so she would have killed me if I went out Sat or Sun .. I almost told her standing in the cold water would be good for my back smile .. haha

-rob
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/05/16 04:55 AM

Solid post. Good job. thumb
Posted By: jcramer678

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/05/16 03:49 PM

Do you have to paddle up from hey 16 to get that close to the dam? Last time I was out there I didn't see a way to get down into the water by the dam, but the water levels were pretty deep when I was there.

Jon

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/05/16 06:56 PM

Jon, we didn't kayak this trip. You would have to put in at the Hwy 16 bridge and paddle upstream to fish the area that we were fishing. The water was moving approximately 300 CFS; many guys here would tell you that it's easy or doable, personally it would be a lot of work and you would spend a lot of time positioning yourself and not fishing, lol.

FishyB
Posted By: winchester44

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/05/16 10:51 PM

AWESOME! How are you liking the new Lamson reel?
Posted By: jcramer678

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/05/16 11:08 PM

Yeah 300 cfs would be a little too much for me in my SUP!

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/05/16 11:45 PM

Winchester44, we love the Lamson Remix reels and the TFO Professional II rods. Knuckles is throwing the 8 wt and I have a 9 wt; Cabela's only had one of each and Knuckles wanted the 8 wt. smile I would highly recommend the Lamson Remix and TFO combination!

FishyB
Posted By: Cowtown Kid

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/06/16 12:25 AM

Great report as usual! Keep those reports and videos coming,
See you on the water!

texas texas

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/06/16 01:11 PM

Thank you Rick!

I appreciate the affirmation, wasn't sure if folks were getting tired of the posts, links, videos, etc.... smile

Definitely need to go fishing soon!

FishyB
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/06/16 03:14 PM

Brent, well done you caught those fish on my birthday and just for that reason as we were having a family get together to celebrate is why I could not go fishing. Nice report and video. I have "discoverd" Skagit casting and want to try it out there at PK dam, I went to Denison Dam on Monday to experiment and learnt a few things but did not hook into a fish.
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/06/16 06:33 PM

Hi Jon,

I don't know about a SUP, only did it once but I think it would be harder to paddle upstream than a kayak. There is tons of good fishing that can be reached with just waders by the DAM. However, there are no major rapids and the few spots where the stream narrows and the current gets strong, you could always walk and tow your SUP behind you for less than 100 yards. So I don't think it would be terrible. I like kayaking because I carry to much stuff smile and my kayak acts like a floating cooler and tackle box. Since you just fly fishing, I would just wade it.

FishyB - keep the post coming, love the videos.

-rob

Re: PK Dam / Brazos Report - 01/02/16 - 01/11/16 03:32 PM

Knuckles, Strong and I hit PK Brazos again this past Saturday. Needless to say it was very cold and windy. We each managed to catch a couple of fish, but nothing like past trips. Thinking the cold front that came in Saturday was messing with the fish mojo. At least we got to hit DQ in Mineral Wells and talk fish smack, while eating our country baskets! smile

Tight lines,
FishyB
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum