Texas Fishing Forum

how to fish a new creek?

Posted By: texsam

how to fish a new creek? - 12/20/15 08:54 PM

In the DFW aera we have limestone creeks 6inch to 1 foot with deeper creases and small pools.clear water.
Upon entering would you go up or downstream?.try to keep the sun in my face if possible Iassume.Thank you in advance.
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: how to fish a new creek? - 12/20/15 11:29 PM

Those little bitty creeks are equally challenging as well as a ton of fun. Sneaky, stealthy, stay low, stalk like a cat. Upstream if possible because fish can tend to orient in the direction from whence cometh the chow.
And the roll cast; get really good with the roll cast, bow & arrow cast, and Belgian cast.
Oh, and take pictures to post smile
Posted By: Ellie's Grampa

Re: how to fish a new creek? - 12/20/15 11:45 PM

+1 on Robert's comments -
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: how to fish a new creek? - 12/21/15 12:17 AM

Also in those small gin clear streams fish that have never been caught can be line shy so go as lite as possible.
Posted By: Lane H.

Re: how to fish a new creek? - 12/21/15 07:55 PM

Consider a tenkara setup. It's easier to cast with in tighter quarters and you'll be using 5x tippet so you'll avoid spooking some of the fish. I use mine exclusively on Brushy Creek in Austin, which is a small(ish) limestone creek. Tight lines.

Re: how to fish a new creek? - 12/21/15 09:50 PM

Good stuff. thank"S.
Posted By: Salt396

Re: how to fish a new creek? - 12/22/15 12:04 AM

Stealth is your friend with the little waters. Move slowly and carefully; do your best to imitate a stalking heron. . Small, general patterns on light tippet like PT nymphs, soft hackles and woolly buggers are a good start. Keep an eye out for deeper pockets and edges that might harbor a carp or two - those can be the biggest fish on the whole creek, and make for a great challenge.

Re: how to fish a new creek? - 12/22/15 01:00 AM

Thanks salt .I have been told with my legs I look like a stork,
Posted By: Salt396

Re: how to fish a new creek? - 12/23/15 04:41 AM

laugh ha! All the better to sneak up on fish with.
Posted By: winchester44

Re: how to fish a new creek? - 12/23/15 03:51 PM

Excellent Advice all! I might just add, Google Earth is a tremendous help to me. Generally, they recently incorporated LIDAR data of major metro areas (like DFW) so you can look through the creek in 3D identifying potential access points, log jams, deep pools, etc. Right now is an excellent time to throw the iPad in the car and go scouting to get ready for the spring, summer. Pack light, but carry lots of water to cover as much ground as possible and know what poison ivy looks like. GOOD LUCK
Posted By: keebranch

Re: how to fish a new creek? - 01/05/16 05:33 PM

I might add look for public access- entry and egress. I fish these all the time and most of these gems get passed over in favor of larger bodies of water.

Les
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum