Texas Fishing Forum

LMF Thanksgiving Break

Posted By: theflyguy3

LMF Thanksgiving Break - 11/19/15 10:56 PM

I will be going to the Lower Mountain Fork Thanksgiving break. However, I will admit that I am not much of a troutster. This is my 3rd time fishing for them and to be honest, I much prefer carp, bass, and sunfish. I will be in the area anyway so I figured why not try for some? Can you guys provide me with some good tips on how to catch them this next week? I am aware this question has been asked many times on here, and that there are other helpful posts people have made in the past regarding how to fish it. If you could point me to some of those older posts on how to fish the LMF, that would be helpful too. I am also considering hitting up the Glover River as well, but I am almost 100% sure that it will already be in a slow-fishing state because I visited it last year at the same time and it was dead. In addition, the area has already had many nights dipping down in the mid-lower 40s, which will slow it down even more. Thanks for your input, and I sure hope my Cabela's CGR comes in on time to employ it at the LMF! Anyone else heading up there this next week?
Posted By: jonbo

Re: LMF Thanksgiving Break - 11/20/15 12:18 AM

Start with 5x tippet, small beadhead egg pattern as lead fly, tie 16" of tippet off of bend of your egg pattern hook. To this attach a zebra midge, sz 18-20, in red, cream, black or brown. Put your indicator high enough up the tippet/leader so that you WILL start bumping bottom after you've drifted about 10 feet. Feel free to add more weight just above your lead fly. Success depends on your getting close to the bottom. Then, assume EVERY twitch of the indicator is a take and strike quickly but not hard. For your lead fly substitute san juan worm, chamois worm, near deere, pheasant tail, prince nymph, caddis larvae, other kind of flashy or big stuff. Start at the Evening Hole bridge and work your way upstream. That's one way.

Also, swing an olive or black wooly bugger in the current, especially in the early AM.
Posted By: theflyguy3

Re: LMF Thanksgiving Break - 11/21/15 03:14 PM

Thank you jonbo, that was really helpful!
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: LMF Thanksgiving Break - 11/22/15 07:51 AM

Originally Posted By: jonbo
Start with 5x tippet, small beadhead egg pattern as lead fly, tie 16" of tippet off of bend of your egg pattern hook. To this attach a zebra midge, sz 18-20, in red, cream, black or brown. Put your indicator high enough up the tippet/leader so that you WILL start bumping bottom after you've drifted about 10 feet. Feel free to add more weight just above your lead fly. Success depends on your getting close to the bottom. Then, assume EVERY twitch of the indicator is a take and strike quickly but not hard. For your lead fly substitute san juan worm, chamois worm, near deere, pheasant tail, prince nymph, caddis larvae, other kind of flashy or big stuff. Start at the Evening Hole bridge and work your way upstream. That's one way.

Also, swing an olive or black wooly bugger in the current, especially in the early AM.
enough said Except if the going gets tough change that zebra to a size 20 olive or natural hairs ear or pheasant tail. Spot on right there. If you don't set the hook on the rock every once in a while you're fishing for you shallow!!!!!!!!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum