Texas Fishing Forum

Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again

Posted By: FishyB

Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/09/15 02:35 PM

We posted a week ago about our trip on the Brazos. Well we were fortunate enough to get another trip in the past Saturday with a couple of great friends and met some new ones along the way. This past Saturday was even better than the weekend before; check out the post and YouTube video. Remember, if you like what you see, please subscribe to the blog and or the YouTube channel!

https://bassknucklesfishing.wordpress.com/2015/11/09/slamming-striper-bass-on-the-fly-again/

FishyB
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/09/15 02:55 PM

That looks like a ton or so of fun smile
What flies do they seem to prefer?

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/09/15 03:51 PM

rrhyne56,

They are pretty much looking for anything that mimics a shad pattern in the 4 to 8 hook size range. Clousers, Zonkers and streamers are working very well.

Hope this helps!
FishyB
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/09/15 04:04 PM

Yes it does! I might be making that trip. Never been below the PK dam. Is it pretty much a wee hours thing or do they hit throughout the day?

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/09/15 04:30 PM

A week ago Saturday we were on the water at 7:30 AM, which was day break given daylight savings. I didn't take that into consideration this past Saturday and we were an hour late on the water, but still produced fish as you can see in the video. Slowed down by 11:30 AM, but so did we, LOL!

FishyB
Posted By: keebranch

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/09/15 09:38 PM

Brent,
Good to see you all there. Not all were big up near dam, but solid day of fishing, and sore thumbs as proof. wink

Les

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/09/15 09:52 PM

Howdy Les!
It was great seeing you there as well! We will have to do it again real soon. smile

I hear you on the thumbs, my left thumb is torn up in a great way!

FishyB
Brent
Posted By: betterbet24

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/09/15 11:20 PM

great job..subscribed, looking forward to more posts..
Posted By: didja getny

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/09/15 11:44 PM

Fantastic! I love the video! Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/10/15 01:24 AM

banana
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/10/15 01:39 AM

Awesome post! coolio
Posted By: Cowtown Kid

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/10/15 10:32 AM

Another good video. I was there Friday morning below the dam. Hit them for just a little bit then the bite was off. Certainly could see them moving in and out of the place we were fishing.
Keep those videos coming really enjoy them!

texas

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/10/15 01:00 PM

Good morning guys!

Thank y'all for the words of encouragement and we will certainly keep the videos and blog posts coming. I feel like I am starting to get the hang of the video stuff a little more each time we go out, which makes for better video and content.

We are doing the 20 mile stretch from Hwy 16 to Rochelle's in a couple of weeks for Knuckles' 14th birthday; three days / two nights. This will be our first overnight trip with the kayaks, so expect a blog post and video after this one! Oh yeah, this will be a fly only trip, at least for me, lol!

Please feel free in sharing the post and or YouTube video with your friends and such on social media; and thank y'all for subscribing! smile We do this for fun, education if possible, but most importantly I am doing all this stuff to record memories.

Tight lines.
FishyB
Posted By: ElectricSixes

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/10/15 03:45 PM

What wt fly rod is good for this? I have a 5 but considering an 8.

Love the videos and the time you're spending on the water with your son is just priceless!

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/10/15 04:16 PM

Howdy ElectricSixes,

Knuckles is using a 9' 5wt, TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series II with a Redington reel; and I am using an old Pflueger 8-1/2' 6 wt rod. My rod might as well be a buggy whip, extremely slow action, while Knuckles' TFO is faster action. Knuckles does a better job at throwing the bigger bugs than I, because I am thinking the tip action is better, even though there is a 1 wt difference in the rods. As you can see in the videos, Knuckles is bringing in the big ones on the 5 wt, so it is doable.

Personally, I am wanting to purchase a couple TFO Professional Series II rods with the fighting butts in an 8 wt or possibly 9 wt, simply so we have rods more for the type of fishing, ease of throwing bigger bugs and because we plan on hitting the coast this upcoming spring. The fighting butt would certainly help; these past two Saturdays have worn me out by 10:30 - 11:30 AM, forearms are shot, LOL!

I am a big fan of the TFO rods....1) Great rod for the price, 2) awesome warranty, 3) Dallas Texas company and 4) very important to me, they are very active with Reel Recovery, other great non-profit organizations in the fishing community and have servant's hearts!

Long answer to your wt fly rod question, but it gives you my thought process and rationale. Also, thank you for your comment about the videos! smile
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/10/15 05:00 PM

thumb

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/11/15 05:24 PM

Okay....change in plans. Rather than celebrating Knuckles' 14th birthday on a 3 day float down the Brazos River, we are heading to Galveston to fish the flats for reds and specks!!! To quote Sponge Bob, "I'm Ready!, I'm Ready!, I'm Ready! smile
Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/11/15 11:45 PM

ElectricSixes _ If you want to go chase stripers you should opt for an 8 wt instead of the 5 wt. You will want to toss some heavier weighted flies at times to get down deeper, and that 5 wt will be a struggle. It will also come in handy if you hook some really big fish, but as mentioned above it is doable on the 5 wt. I think the ability to toss heavier flies is more of an issue than the ability to fight the fish.
An 8 weight with a decent disc drag reel and an intermediate sink tip line would be perfect.

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/12/15 12:14 AM

I picked up an 8 wt yesterday and this morning we gave PK a try. We started at 16 bridge where I caught a couple LMB. Then we drove over to the dam area. It was a pretty slow day. My buddy caught a small striper.

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/12/15 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: FishyB
Okay....change in plans. Rather than celebrating Knuckles' 14th birthday on a 3 day float down the Brazos River, we are heading to Galveston to fish the flats for reds and specks!!! To quote Sponge Bob, "I'm Ready!, I'm Ready!, I'm Ready! smile

What a fun trip!

Reds on the fly are on my list. I've got bass, crappie, and sunfish. Just need striper, carp, trout, and some saltwater species. I'm hooked on fly fishing. I love it!

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/12/15 01:29 PM

ElectricSixes,

Man that is awesome! Nice LMB, looks pretty fat! What kind of 8 wt. did you get?

FishyB

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/12/15 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: FishyB
ElectricSixes,

Man that is awesome! Nice LMB, looks pretty fat! What kind of 8 wt. did you get?

FishyB

Orvis Clearwater. It's what my 5 wt is and I've been really happy with that.
Posted By: keebranch

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/12/15 05:17 PM

Brent
are you hiring a guide?

Les

Re: Slamming Stripers On The Fly - Again - 11/12/15 06:24 PM

Howdy Les,

No sir, not this trip. I grew up fishing West Bay and Galveston Bay, so relying on my old pea brain to get us by on this trip, lol.

Brent
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum