Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River

Posted By: Dfitz

Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/11/15 07:02 PM

This Rainbow fishery is one of a kind. The fish are huge, hungry and must be on some sort of steroids. It was more common than not to set the hook and have the trout staring at you eye to eye. These things would jump 4-6ft out of the water. We caught Donkeys, Mules, Toads and any other animal analogy for gigantic Trout. The majority are lake fish and come to the river in the Spring to spawn and then again in the fall to fatten up on Salmon eggs and Salmon flesh. I would describe them as freshwater Steelhead. These fish are chromers, pure silver with blue backs.

My biggest was 28" and caught over a dozen 24-27" and they are all THICK with huge shoulders. These are special trout and deserve respect. Fish were caught on beads, flesh flies, and streamers. We fished Salmon beds in the braids, buckets, drop offs, ledges and the lake itself. No exact tally for total fish caught, but I easy averaged over 50per day. I did lose one that was over 30", he ate, jumped just to show himself and spit the hook midair, he was a big smart old fish and our encounter lasted less than 5 seconds. The kind of fish that has me planning a trip back already

We also caught some Dollies and Grayling. Some were kept for fresh fish dinners.

The weather was great for September up there, saw lots of Eagles and Osprey while fishing, Moose from the float plane. Didn't see BooBoo and I'm ok with that. Now for some pics. I'm going pic heavy to share this trip as words will not do justice.

Hope you enjoy the report laugh

Posted By: Bissett

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/11/15 07:27 PM

Wow that looks awesome!
Posted By: dafanman

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/11/15 07:47 PM

coolphotos Fitz, that sure looks like a trip of a lifetime cheers
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/11/15 08:44 PM

Very nice trip. Thanks for the pics.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/11/15 09:28 PM

So, no close encounters with the bears?
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/11/15 09:50 PM

Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/11/15 10:09 PM

Very cool post banana
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/11/15 11:58 PM

coolphotos Trip of a lifetime Andrew with lifetime memories. cheers Nicely done Sir. thumb
Posted By: Bazztex

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/12/15 01:01 AM

Thanks for sharing your most excellent photos, fish & report. Very nice Grayling cheers
Posted By: thinguyen

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/12/15 05:05 PM

wonderful trip, awesome rainbow, can you share the detail on the guides and accomodations?
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/13/15 01:37 AM

Ahhhh... Tikchik Narrows Lodge... What fond memories I have of working there in 2010. I even remember meeting you there, Fitz! I never got to fish Chip's babies. I did manage to catch a 27" rainbow down by the island... Not to mention dozens of huge lakers!

What a gorgeous grayling! Omar, the pilot, put me on the first one I ever landed... just before a swarm of mosquitoes ran us back into the Beaver plane.

Did you fish the falls? What about pike in the shadow of Sad Face mountain?

Tikchik is definitely on my bucket list... not to go back & work there again... but to go and fish till I can't stand it any more!!

Thanks, Fitz, for a blast from my past. I'd enjoy catching up with you & hearing about who all is working there now... Carol, Chip, B.C., Adam, Joel...

Cheers!!
Posted By: ZachW

Re: Lake Iliamna-Kvichak River - 09/15/15 02:10 PM

Amazing fish!

So are they only classified as steelhead when they go to saltwater? I know in the Great Lakes they commonly refer to these lake rainbows as steelhead.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum