Texas Fishing Forum

Fly advice

Posted By: Millertime22

Fly advice - 09/07/15 07:49 PM

Hi y'all,
New to the forum, and new to fly fishing. Got an 8wt rod that I'm starting to get the hang of casting, and I'm hoping to target bass, mostly. I got a small collection of flies, but not having much luck so far. What kind of flys are actually working right now? Seems like wollyboogers and poppers are the most "go-to" for bass, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Fishing mostly low visibility waters, ponds and creeks, usually little to no current.
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Fly advice - 09/07/15 07:53 PM

Any kind of Clousers. And Muddler Minnows of whatever sort.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Fly advice - 09/07/15 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: rrhyne56
Any kind of Clousers. And Muddler Minnows of whatever sort.

+1 and welcome

Re: Fly advice - 09/07/15 08:29 PM

Thanks Capt. Mac! Do they seem to work better with a lot of activity, like fast stripping, or a little gentler action? I'm coming from a spin cast background, and it seemed that each lure worked better with different actions/retrieves, and I'm at a bit of a loss with what to do once I get the fly out. Again, thank you!
Posted By: RexW

Re: Fly advice - 09/07/15 09:03 PM

Another vote for Clousers, it is a versatile pattern. You can fish it fast or slow. You can fish it like a jig, like a plastic worm, you can fish it fast like a fleeing baitfish, or fish it slow so that it has an up and down action.

Basically, you can fish a Clouser multiple different ways, you'll have to experiment to determine what works best each day.

Have fun!
Posted By: tmds3

Re: Fly advice - 09/07/15 09:54 PM

Howdy Milletime22
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: Fly advice - 09/07/15 10:00 PM

Miller,
As for what speed to fish the flies, that's part of the fun. Try slow, then fast, then medium, then....
Or let it drop for X seconds and then retrieve it Y feet and let it drop again.
Everything you would try with a similar actioned conventional bait, try with your fly bait.
The game hasn't changed, just the tools.

Oh, and remember to hold your mouth right. lizard

Kirk
Posted By: tmds3

Re: Fly advice - 09/07/15 10:03 PM

And when I tie some more breambusters I will send you some as well as some of the epoxy ants that I ties, both work great on the sunfish. although an 8wt may be a little overkill banana

Re: Fly advice - 09/07/15 11:00 PM

You guys are awesome, thank you!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Fly advice - 09/07/15 11:05 PM

Don't give up on the poppers. The top water bite ought to start picking up again in the next few weeks.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Fly advice - 09/07/15 11:26 PM

I've had a lot of good luck with a gummy minnow. They are relatively expensive but seem to work very well on a variety of fish. I have also caught quite a few bass with a yellow muddler.
Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: Fly advice - 09/08/15 01:12 AM

I'm a fan of Gurglers for top water bass. IMHO....light, easy to cast, lots of splash and easy to get off the water on the back cast
Posted By: tbates

Re: Fly advice - 09/08/15 01:27 AM

What he said...
Posted By: formula462

Re: Fly advice - 09/09/15 02:46 AM

I like the rabbit ear in olive,black or white with beadhead
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Fly advice - 09/09/15 04:37 AM

If you fish around vegetation you should get a few rabbit strip flies like leeches or zonkers. Ans craft fur bendbacks are hard to beat over shallow grass.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum