Texas Fishing Forum

Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries...

Posted By: RexW

Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/17/15 02:32 AM

I spent Friday catching Yellowstone cutthroat trout on dry flies without another person anywhere in sight...

I've never done anything like this trip before, but I sure want to do it again!

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/17/15 04:11 AM

Fishing high country streams where no one else is around is my favorite part of fly fishing, the areas with no people are usually prettier too! Beautiful cutthroats on dry flies makes solitary fishing even better. Thats a great fish btw, I'm glad you had fun.
Posted By: didja getny

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/18/15 01:32 AM

Rex, I also love the cuts! On Sunday, I wasn't at Yellowstone.....I was a few hundred miles SE of there. These are just a few from Sunday at one of my favorite high mountain lakes. Site casting to all with a #14 Adams on the surface!

Posted By: RexW

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/18/15 02:13 AM

Nice fish! I don't think anything that size was an option in the creek I was standing in. smile

The hot fly for me was something that I'd never heard of before, a "spent caddis".

Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/18/15 11:53 AM

Good lord those are beautiful Cutts! That last one looks like Tom Brady could deflate it. I don't know that I have ever seen a pure Cutt that shape. Nice mountain hideaway, looks like you have the spot.

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/19/15 02:05 AM

Rex, your fly looks like a variant of the elk hair caddis. I can say with absolute certainty, if I were an even moderately hungry trout I'd eat that! I also want to tell you that I'm a little bit ashamed.......you take much better care of your equipment than I do. The guys at TFO are beaming with pride about right now.

Jeff, the girth of these fish is incredible, right. The ones pictured are average for the lake. Below is one I caught a couple of years ago when there was somebody around to take a picture. An excellent fish, but not 'big' for the lake.

Actually, went back up to the lake today and caught another 8 like the ones in the original post above
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/19/15 03:52 AM

coolphotos
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/19/15 05:15 AM

Originally Posted By: didja getny
Rex, your fly looks like a variant of the elk hair caddis. I can say with absolute certainty, if I were an even moderately hungry trout I'd eat that! I also want to tell you that I'm a little bit ashamed.......you take much better care of your equipment than I do. The guys at TFO are beaming with pride about right now.

Jeff, the girth of these fish is incredible, right. The ones pictured are average for the lake. Below is one I caught a couple of years ago when there was somebody around to take a picture. An excellent fish, but not 'big' for the lake.

Actually, went back up to the lake today and caught another 8 like the ones in the original post above
what strain of cutthroat are those? Rio grandes? Awesome fish!

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/20/15 02:05 AM

Nick, my guess is they are Colorado cutts as the lake eventually drains into the Colorado river. The link below is to a Field and Stream article that describes the stocking process and what goes where. Very informative. The article also has video of the stocking

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gal...orado/?image=19
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/20/15 02:30 AM

That's what it's all about Rex. Sounds like a fantastic day. Beats the heck out of these 100 plus degree Texas days.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/21/15 02:26 AM

Trout on dry flies with no one in sight. Sounds like paradise.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Yellowstone Cutthroats on Dries... - 08/21/15 04:18 AM

coolphotos Awesome thread! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum