Texas Fishing Forum

Going To Branson...Advice

Posted By: formula462

Going To Branson...Advice - 08/04/15 12:13 AM

We are leaving this coming Sunday to Branson for the week and want to do some fly fishing but never been and really don't want to hire a guide so anyone with bank,wade fishing there have any spots to suggest? At times I will also have my bro in law and his two boys so there will be spin fishing as well.Thanks for any help
Posted By: megabucks461

Re: Going To Branson...Advice - 08/04/15 12:39 AM

Water flows are still very high on Taneycomo due to Table Rock lake levels. Flows during the day are about 6K cubic feet/sec. You can rent a john boat for the day. Check Lilley's Landing. Here is a link to the fishing report for last week.

Taneycomo Fishing Report July 28
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Going To Branson...Advice - 08/04/15 01:18 AM

Hey I'll call you I leave Wednesday for the guad so need to get together tomorrow if you can I have some stuff for your trip. I've caught a few of those little fish up there banana

Re: Going To Branson...Advice - 08/04/15 01:29 AM

ok give me a call I will be out and about thanks Robert
Posted By: BoPro

Re: Going To Branson...Advice - 08/04/15 02:15 PM

I was up there two weeks ago. Fly fishing was tough due to the flows. They were letting out 4 gates the whole week we were up there, only shutting down from 9pm-4am. There are a few spots below the dam and above Fall Creek to cast a fly from the bank, but even with a heavy sink tip I couldn't get the fly deep enough to catch any numbers. The ones I did catch were all on size 12-16 tan and gray scuds. We did rent a boat, and I rigged a drift rig with scuds on spinning rods for the kids. They ended catching most of the fish this way, even a nice brown.

Itching to do more fly fishing, I drove a hour to Roaring River State Park. Not bad if you don't mind catching a bunch of tiny stockers.
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: Going To Branson...Advice - 08/04/15 03:28 PM

If the flows are up, just fish the hatchery outlets. Guarantee you catch fish, just not that sporting. Check the regs for bait or spin fishing

Re: Going To Branson...Advice - 08/05/15 03:33 AM

Thanks for the info fellas hoping to do well..I will get a boat for one of the days to do some drift fishing
Posted By: Just-In-Time

Re: Going To Branson...Advice - 08/05/15 03:02 PM

Haven't been there for long time, was up at Bennett Springs near Lebanon a month ago and it was murky and flow high due to stream running into it. Yet, had buddies there this past weekend and it was back to more normal and pretty good fishing for them. If you have time it's likely worth the drive. Roaring River (about an hour west of Branson) is usually pretty good too (well for released hatchery fish also), but last I heard they had been having some flooding issues too so you'd want to check that before going that direction. Of course if you're up for driving there's more options further east and down into Arkansas too. This time of year some of the small coves or small lakes or farm ponds (if you can get permission) in SW Missouri are a blast for flies or poppers on top water early morning or late evening for bass or panfish. Enjoy!
Posted By: BoPro

Re: Going To Branson...Advice - 08/05/15 03:20 PM

It looks like they shut it down to 1 1/2 gates, so you may have a chance to wade. But If you do rent a boat, try to go all the way up to the dam to the sign that says "no fishing above this point". Cut the motor and turn the bow to the right. The current will generally push you to towards left bank. You should hook up pretty quick once you cast out. Like in a matter of seconds. You can drift all the way back, but we usually stopped and headed back to the dam before Fall creek area. Be careful when running past Fall Creek, the channel for Taneycomo runs to on the left and then back to the right like a "<" pattern. If you rent from Lilley's Landing, they will give you some advice.

I used 1/4 to 3/8 drop shot weights about 12 inches down from the main line, and 18-24in leaders to the fly.

Re: Going To Branson...Advice - 08/05/15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: BoPro
It looks like they shut it down to 1 1/2 gates, so you may have a chance to wade. But If you do rent a boat, try to go all the way up to the dam to the sign that says "no fishing above this point". Cut the motor and turn the bow to the right. The current will generally push you to towards left bank. You should hook up pretty quick once you cast out. Like in a matter of seconds. You can drift all the way back, but we usually stopped and headed back to the dam before Fall creek area. Be careful when running past Fall Creek, the channel for Taneycomo runs to on the left and then back to the right like a "<" pattern. If you rent from Lilley's Landing, they will give you some advice.

I used 1/4 to 3/8 drop shot weights about 12 inches down from the main line, and 18-24in leaders to the fly.

Thanks, yes I rented a center console and been studying map so maybe I won't have to buy a lower unit
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum