Texas Fishing Forum

First striper on the fly

Posted By: TrentonLee

First striper on the fly - 08/03/15 03:27 PM

Well I got to get back on the water for the first time this week since my little one was born and had an awesome morning on the Brazos below PK. Fish were biting from the time we started casting to the time we left. Not a lot of big fish just a lot of fish smallmouth, largemouth, sandies, striper and a few drum. Managed to bring in the biggest fish out of my group with this decent Striper which put up a heck of a fight on my 5 wt.

And since I mentioned it here is a picture of my son as well

Posted By: GoodOleG

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/03/15 03:46 PM

Very nice Trenton! My buddy and I hit the Brazos below Whitney yesterday and got into the same sort of action! I lost count after about 25 or so! About an hr before last light it was almost a fish every cast! Heres a pic of the biggest striper I caught! Not amazing size but fun none the less! Congrats on becoming a Dad! Good looking boy! Tight lines ~ G

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/03/15 07:09 PM

Thanks G...I have been dying to get out that way and fish below Whitney. Buddy and I had a camping trip scheduled out there a few months back but that was right about the time all the rain came and the river was running a little too high so we just fished below PK.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/03/15 09:02 PM

Great catch ( both of them )!
Congratulations !!!

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/04/15 04:27 AM

Fishing was great yesterday! Not so much today! They must have lowered the flow cause the bigger fish didn't come out to play! Let me know when you go and I'll try to catch up with you if I can. Thanks Mac! Take care gents!!!
Posted By: Lloyd5

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/04/15 05:00 PM

Outstanding!
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/04/15 05:01 PM

I keep hearing about that place, and it looks lie a great place to fling some flies. How is the access there, and are there any nearby RV parks?
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/04/15 11:03 PM

Rv camping not far on the lake side just a short ride to the river. Lots of smallmouth sandbass and stripers excellent place to fling a fly Jim.

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/04/15 11:04 PM

Congratulations on both your catches Trenton.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/05/15 05:06 AM

Nice report, I should get out there and try it.

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/05/15 12:21 PM

Where does one access the river, and are there fees involved? Places to avoid (vehicle security)?

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/05/15 06:54 PM

At the Brazos below Whitney there's access at riverside park on the east side of the dam! No fees and seems to be decently safe. I've had no problems there! I've also seen a ranger patrolling the area. Which makes me feel more comfortable. Everyone I've come into contact with seems to be pleasant and friendly.

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/05/15 07:15 PM

Thanks! I feel a trip coming on........ What time of the year is best there, and when is bad? Do I need to look for specific water flows? My 2 weight keeps begging me to take it there. I found the RV park; it's plenty close enough.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/05/15 07:28 PM

How did the Allen Trout Reel handle it?
Posted By: BoPro

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/05/15 08:19 PM

Nice, luv fishing for stripers on the fly. Can't wait for Texoma to get back to normal so I can go after them again.
Posted By: tbates

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/06/15 10:49 PM

Congrats on the boy and the striper. I think I saw you guys fishing...my brother and I were in the two seat blue jackson kayak. We fish that river all the time...PM me next time you go.

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/06/15 11:35 PM

Tbates I definitely remember seeing you guys on the deeper side of the stretch of river we were fishing. How did you guys do that day?

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/06/15 11:38 PM

Jim Ford you can put it right at the Hwy 16 bridge that crosses the river. I have a few friends that fish as close as you can to the dam in a few pools up there. I did the best I ever had out there this past weekend and we just waded up about 300 yards up from the bridge. Planned on fishing all up and down the river but lost our life jackets out of the boat and had to just stick to wading.

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/06/15 11:39 PM

BassBustin the trout 2 held up like a champ. Looking to get another one for a 6 wt. setup in the near future.

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/07/15 03:59 AM

The red is what a lot of us ore doing lol. At least catching a few till the water goes down.
Posted By: Cool16v

Re: First striper on the fly - 08/09/15 12:44 AM

Sweet!! coolphotos
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum