Texas Fishing Forum

Lanyard or Vest?

Posted By: Lloyd5

Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 11:40 AM

One of the things that drew me to fly fishing was the minimal amount of equipment needed. Once the rod is rigged about all you need are a few flys, nippers, and some leader.

Except that my vest quickly became crammed with all kinds of stuff. The vest is a very handy thing to have, but like a junk drawer it quickly becomes (or at least mine did) filled with junk. Damn thing got to where it weighed almost as much as I do. I couldn't help it, so many pockets just crying to be filled with something or other.

I saw a catalog photo of a lanyard that had everything necessary, yet had so little on it. So I bought one. Mine carries nippers, hemostats, a fly box full of flys, fishing license, and a spool of leader. That's it. And that's all I really need for a few hours of fishing. Weighs about as much as a hummingbird's breath.

It is so unobtrusive that I forget I'm wearing it, until I need something that's hanging on it. Everything, except the fly box, is on a retractable, making them easy to use. The box hangs from the very bottom of the lanyard and has more than enough room to use easily.

When I am going to be out and far-off all day I still use the vest. I can carry bottled water, whisky flask, lunch, sunscreen, ciagrs, chaise lounge, hammock, tree trimmer, boat, log cabin, whatever I want to in it. Most of my trips are just a few hours and within walking distance of my house, so the lanyard has become my short trip go to item.
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 12:18 PM

Excellent piece of writing on a subject that gets less ink than it rates.

My ideal scene would be a burro with panniers and an attendant to prepare shore lunch.
Posted By: schat

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 01:16 PM

You are so right, in my youth I had to have a vest with all the cool gadget's and several fly boxes. I still have several fly boxes, but I can load a box for day trip on lanyard and not be as hot in a vest and now that I use a clip to keep the lanyard from dangling free as I move from pool to pool with snags on the brush and I do not hear it clicking as bad. This one of the small wisdom that came with age. I even use one spin casting from the kayak in order to keep things close at hand. Good fishing
Posted By: RexW

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 01:26 PM

One of these days, I need to get around to buying a vest...

Been using a lanyard since I started; nippers, hemostats, ty rite tool (handy little gadget), and a couple of spools of tippet. Drop a fly box in a pocket and I can cover most fishing situations.

But I have discovered that trips that involve hiking in national parks do require more gear than that. Robin may be on to something with the burro, maybe if I got one of those pack things for my dog? Might work well, that is until the first squirrel crossed his path and there goes lunch... bolt
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 03:22 PM

I use a lanyard it has a small fly box. 80% of the time I use my lanyard

when I need to carry more stuff or going to be a distance away from my vehicle I use a chest pack over a fly vest
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 03:40 PM

As the Duck Commander (Phil) himself said never wear a lanyard into the bushes, you will get hung up and choked. I wear one duck hunting with my calls, a few calls over the course of a day leaves my neck hurting. I can't do the fly fishing lanyard...too much to get hung up on and not a natural thing for your neck to be holding. Waders are bad enough.
Posted By: winchester44

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
As the Duck Commander (Phil) himself said never wear a lanyard into the bushes, you will get hung up and choked. I wear one duck hunting with my calls, a few calls over the course of a day leaves my neck hurting. I can't do the fly fishing lanyard...too much to get hung up on and not a natural thing for your neck to be holding. Waders are bad enough.

Agreed on this. Having tried lanyards, vests, hip packs, backpacks, chest packs and sling packs. All of them have pros and cons. Sling packs are my current favorite compromise. Lanyards have their place, great choice for a trip to the neighborood creek or pond for an hour or two.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 05:00 PM

I use a vest and yes it has to much stuff in it too. It has huge pockets for my big fly boxes, scale, pliers, etc. It is also made of heavy material so it is extremely hot. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. One rod and my vest and I can explore miles of creek. And lose a few extra pounds in the Texas heat, LOL!!
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 05:04 PM

BTW I sweat in Winter. smile
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 06:02 PM

I made mine. They wanted $30 for the bloomin things on the interwebs.
About $10 worth of materials will make 3. I put a breakaway connection on mine, in case it gets hung up. It's on the top-left below the neck strap.

I've re-arranged a bit, and added stuff at the empty hooks, but it still only weighs about a half pound.
I wear mine over my PFD while kayaking. A vest just wouldn't work with the life jacket.
Flies are in boxes in a small camera bag I got at a yard sale. It goes over my shoulder if I'm wading, and behind the seat back if I'm paddling.

Kirk

Posted By: Lloyd5

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/28/15 08:15 PM

Uh-Oh - now I'm gonna have to make one, that's a good idea. Nice job!
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/29/15 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Crazy4oldcars
I made mine. They wanted $30 for the bloomin things on the interwebs.
About $10 worth of materials will make 3. I put a breakaway connection on mine, in case it gets hung up. It's on the top-left below the neck strap.

I've re-arranged a bit, and added stuff at the empty hooks, but it still only weighs about a half pound.
I wear mine over my PFD while kayaking. A vest just wouldn't work with the life jacket.
Flies are in boxes in a small camera bag I got at a yard sale. It goes over my shoulder if I'm wading, and behind the seat back if I'm paddling.

Kirk

As above, kayaking and a vest do not work for me, so the lanyard was made and I use it on the water and bank/wading.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Lanyard or Vest? - 07/29/15 03:57 AM

Vest
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum