Texas Fishing Forum

BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15

Posted By: Jerry Hamon

BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 07/21/15 04:24 PM

After the success of last years NTKBF event on the Brazos River. It only made sense to do another one this year! This event will be structured in a similar way to last years event. You must start at the Whitney Dam and take out at Dicks Outpost adjacent to the 2114 bridge. This year Backwoods is allowing people to paddle past the 2114 bridge and fish given that they paddle there from the official put in at the dam.

Like the PFD tournament on the Trinity there will be a fly fishing division and a conventional division. Tournament entry will cost $30 with a $10 big bass side pot. Big Bass will not be separated between the two divisions. There will be a 100% payout divided 60%/30%/10% in the two divisions. HAWG TROUGH will be the only measuring device allowed. If park regulations allow they will be for sale prior to the tournament but please plan ahead.

The tournament time table will be as follows:

4:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. check in. (Whitney Dam Launch Area)
5:00 a.m. captain's meeting.
5:15 a.m. launch and first cast
3:30 p.m. score cards in at Dick's Outpost at 2114 bridge
Award ceremony and location TBA

THIS TOURNAMENT WILL BE INTERESTING. As many of you know, Lake Whitney in that last month has been as high as 23 feet OVER POOL. Lake officials have been releasing water daily in massive amounts. The river has not been fishable from a kayak in weeks. Since they started releasing, the water levels have gone down about 16 feet on Lake Whitney. After phone conversations with the BRA, if consistent rains don't persist, water release will be back to normal for the event. Anglers will come in contact with what is likely to be a whole new river. New pools, flats, laydowns, and eddys should make for very exciting fishing as nobody will have a true advantage.

Prior to all the rain both fly anglers and conventional anglers were reporting very high catch rates with some very big fish mixed in! Backwoods does have a kayak trailer that will be used to transport anglers and boats from Dick's Outpost back to the put-in. We will however accept as much help as we can in that regard.

If you're interested in coming along please let us know on the Facebook link attached below:

https://www.facebook.com/events/904240156300406/

Further information on rules for the tournament will be posted on the Facebook event page! Come out and enjoy a laid back tournament on one of the most scenic waterways in Texas!

Backwoods Kayak Fishing Series--Brazos River Tournament complete rules and online registration are now available at http://www.backwoods.com/brazos

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 07/28/15 02:49 PM

bump

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 07/28/15 05:40 PM

From Backwoods:

Just wanted to answer a few of the questions that have been coming in.

* Online registration will be cut-off at close of business for Backwoods at 8pm Friday night.

* You can register the morning of the event with CASH only @ Riverside Park right below the Whitney dam.

* Hawg Troughs will be sold at a discounted rate at check-in before the captains meeting. CASH only.

* Please bring a sharpie to color the lines of your Hawg Trough in if you plan on buying one on site.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 07/28/15 08:48 PM

I talked to Steven the other day he said he wasn't goin to be able to make it. I hope y'all have a great turn out there should be a ton of fish caught right now. Make sure y'all post the results.
Posted By: winchester44

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 07/30/15 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: robert hunter
I talked to Steven the other day he said he wasn't goin to be able to make it. I hope y'all have a great turn out there should be a ton of fish caught right now. Make sure y'all post the results.

Woodcock?
Posted By: winchester44

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 07/30/15 06:09 PM

Where can one buy one of these Hog Toughs? No luck on amazon. Academy had no clue.

Originally Posted By: Jerry Hamon
From Backwoods:

Just wanted to answer a few of the questions that have been coming in.

* Online registration will be cut-off at close of business for Backwoods at 8pm Friday night.

* You can register the morning of the event with CASH only @ Riverside Park right below the Whitney dam.

* Hawg Troughs will be sold at a discounted rate at check-in before the captains meeting. CASH only.

* Please bring a sharpie to color the lines of your Hawg Trough in if you plan on buying one on site.

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 07/30/15 07:04 PM

Mariner Sails in Dallas has them. Backwoods is bringing some to be sold at registration.

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 07/31/15 02:56 AM

Yes woodcock

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/01/15 10:06 PM

Any word on how the fishing was?i don't have face book was this just for bass or stripers and sandbass game as well?
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/02/15 12:47 AM

The Tourney was for black bass, spots and smallmouth only.

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/02/15 01:40 AM

Good luck on the smallmouth I have not caught on down there in 6-7 years. But you and I know that thing is loaded with Bass I hope they got into some bigger ones downstream. Hey Jerry do you know what time they turn the water on today?

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/03/15 12:47 PM

The fishing was great. Unfortunately, I did not have the honor of meeting up with any big bass.
That was not a problem as I did meet up with some magnum sandbass, a 22 inch striper, lots of nice crappie, lots of bluegills (including one that topped 10 inches), and a ton of undersized bass up to 11.5 inches.
I'm guesstimating that I had close to a 200 fish day. One of my best days on the river in a long time.

Posted By: J-Moe

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/03/15 01:55 PM

Awesome day Jerry!!!

What fly did you have the most success with catching bluegill?

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/03/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe
Awesome day Jerry!!!

I used one fly all day. It was a #6 orange clouser. After 200ish fish I still have it! OMG

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/03/15 05:05 PM

What did it take to win

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/03/15 05:12 PM

75.5 inches won the fly division

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/03/15 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe
Awesome day Jerry!!!

I used one fly all day. It was a #6 orange clouser. After 200ish fish I still have it! OMG

You need to frame that one, LOL!!!!

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/03/15 07:31 PM

No, I need to go back and catch some more with it! hooked
Posted By: fwkid

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/03/15 08:30 PM

Jerry, I believe I saw you at that spot by the first set of bluffs. It was game on over there, caught about a dozen stripers before we took off and chased the bass again. Would love to go back and hit it again without worrying about a bass tourney.

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/04/15 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: fwkid
Jerry, I believe I saw you at that spot by the first set of bluffs. It was game on over there, caught about a dozen stripers before we took off and chased the bass again. Would love to go back and hit it again without worrying about a bass tourney.

I was there for quite a while. I probably caught 50 sand bass/stripers and 25 crappie before I could pry myself away from that spot. I think a bunch of us are going on the 15th just to fish that bluff.

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/04/15 01:43 PM

No, I need to go back and catch some more with it! hooked

Post a picture before you lose it, LOL

Re: BACKWOODS KAYAK FISHING SERIES - BRAZOS RIVER TOURNAMENT 8/1/15 - 08/04/15 04:04 PM

I have more than one. I'll take a pic after work and post the poor old thing. loco_2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum