Texas Fishing Forum

How do I..

Posted By: Redfisher27

How do I.. - 07/11/15 12:51 AM

Keep the fly from hitting the water? Any tips on this would be helpful.
Posted By: RexW

Re: How do I.. - 07/11/15 12:55 AM

??? Isn't putting the fly in water the whole point of casting?
Posted By: Redfisher27

Re: How do I.. - 07/11/15 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: RexW
??? Isn't putting the fly in water the whole point of casting?

Well I mean when you are going into a forwards cast it will pop the water behind me.

Re: How do I.. - 07/11/15 01:17 AM

You're probably bending your wrist on the backcast. When you stop the rod on the backcast, the rod should be pointed closer to being straight up than toward the water. If you lower the rod too much then the line will hit the water behind you.
Posted By: TexasCarpStalker

Re: How do I.. - 07/11/15 02:20 AM

Watch A River Runs Through It. For whatever reason, after learning about a four count cast my casting improved. I know it is basic stuff but I often forget it. Oh and from my fly fishing 101 video when I was a kid....remember 10 and 2.
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: How do I.. - 07/11/15 02:40 AM

If there is any way possible, attend a fly fishing club meeting locally. That's an excellent way to meet other fly anglers, get some coaching. Most fly guys love to help and share.

Re: How do I.. - 07/11/15 07:23 PM

Usually, the goal is to have rod leg of the loop to unroll parallel to the ground or water (that can change depending on the distance to the target, wind, and other variables). And to have the fly leg of the loop parallel to the rod leg. There are several variables that go into making this happen, but if the legs get out of parallel bad things such as tailing loops or flies crashing into the water happen.

Here's a video by Lasse Karlsson. He is an IFFF master casting instructor from Europe. In the video he is adjusting where and how he stops during the cast. He demo' s good and bad stops. Note how the loop shape and direction is impacted by the changes.

Remember, good is everything parallel.

https://vimeo.com/38456753

Concerning the "River Runs Through It". I strongly recommend ignoring the "casting lesson" at the beginning of the movie that uses a metronome and a book under the arm. Yes, it does work, IF you only want to cast a short distance. But if you ever want to cast long distances then you will have to unlearn the bad technique of that casting style.

Good luck and listen to Robin's suggestion. Clubs are a wonderful place to learn.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum