Texas Fishing Forum

need some help with fly fishing for bass!

Posted By: Garett

need some help with fly fishing for bass! - 06/29/15 10:45 PM

So I've been fly fishing for a little while now for trout in colorado. However, fly fishing for bass is a whole new territory for me. Can anyone on here help direct me to so good set ups and tips on figuring out what works? Texas bass fishing in stained water
Posted By: BoPro

Re: need some help with fly fishing for bass! - 06/29/15 11:58 PM

I like throwing big flies when bass fishing so I usually use an 8 wt. I'll use a 6 wt if I'm throwing smaller streamers. Poppers and frog patterns are good on top early and late this time of the year. I've also had good luck fishing clousers, black leach patterns and fluke flies subsurface with intermediate line. If I've fishing deeper, say 10 ft ish or more, I'll throw on a fast sink tip to get the fly down. If you don't have sink tips or sinking line, you could add lead eyes to the fly to get it down faster.
Posted By: OldCrow

Re: need some help with fly fishing for bass! - 06/30/15 06:24 PM

I use a 6 wt and have caught most on clousers and bead-head woolybuggers tied with some flash. I use the lead eyes as mentioned on the clousers to get them to sink then strip'em back in to get a good action going. I tie most of them in white/red or chartreuse/red with flash in the tails.
Posted By: TexasCarpStalker

Re: need some help with fly fishing for bass! - 07/01/15 07:54 PM

Chartreuse poppers and streamers work for me most of the time.
Posted By: flyfshrgrl

Re: need some help with fly fishing for bass! - 07/08/15 03:29 AM

What's the ambient temperature? What time of day are you fishing? What water body type are you fishing.

I have had much summertime success fishing lakes with a 4# TFO rod lined with an SA Sharkskin 150 grain sinking line with a 14" leader and a 10" tippet. Landing bass between 2 - 5 pounds. I can cast to the shoreline, under piers, and not wait long before retrieving, or I can cast to the slope/gradual drop-off, wait a bit longer, and begin my retrieve. Heat of the day doesn't play a big factor when I'm rigged this way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum