Texas Fishing Forum

Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison!

Posted By: Robert Hunter

Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/16/15 07:48 PM

Will be floating three days the second week of July. I can't wait trying to figure out ways to keep my go Pro charge while down in the Canyon. Should be a great trip can't wait to report back. Would like to figure out a way to get memory off the card onto a thumb drive while on the river to keep from having to get a second card. We are not using a guide service so we will be on our own time in case we find areas we would like to stay a little longer.
Posted By: megabucks461

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/16/15 07:56 PM

Sounds like an awesome trip. I would like to do the same thing on the North and South Forks of the Flathead in Montana. Take a look at some of the solar chargers. Maybe someone will chime in that has one.

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/16/15 08:35 PM

Thanks for reminding me about those I forgot they make them now.

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/16/15 08:37 PM

And I guess it's really not the Black Canyon stretch will be only going to see you gorge stretch starting at Chukkar trail.
Posted By: Jimlakeside

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/17/15 11:51 AM

Robert, my wife and I went last year. Here is a short write up of our experience. We were with a guide for only one day, so we couldn't stop and fish. I am sure that we would have caught fish if we had the time to stop. From Chucker Trail to Pleasure Park was 14 miles and it took all day to float back to the park. You should have a great time I am jealous!!

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/10216436/Re:_Float_Trip_Black_Canyon_of#Post10216436
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/17/15 11:35 PM

Jealous...
Learned to nymp (kinda) on a feeder of the gunnison
Beautiful, rugged area

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/18/15 12:04 AM

Yes looking around at some of the pictures I have seen There is some very stunning and rugged scenery. With three days to stop fish and camp along the way should be great trip.
Posted By: Brad Bessett

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/18/15 07:26 PM

45 minutes from Gunnison you'll find the Taylor Catch and Release. Legendary spot to say the least. It'd be a shame to be that close on not fish it. You should check it out!

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/18/15 10:15 PM

I have fished the hog trough several times. That is a special place! This is one of the last places anywhere around that area of Colorado I have not hit extensively. I did manage to find a couple of chargers to take for the go Pro just don't know how long it is going to take to charge. Hopefully I can keep it boosted as much as I want if I can remember to put it on charge each time we take a little break. Don't plan on taking a whole lot of breaks though LOL would rather leave more sore lips.
Posted By: Brad Bessett

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/19/15 06:18 PM

Nice, well have fun man!
Posted By: winchester44

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/19/15 09:46 PM

Much Congrats! I'll be on the river that week too. I'm a first timer on this stretch as well.
Beyond pumped about this trip. Been dreaming about it......literally. It's gonna be epic.
Posted By: winchester44

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/19/15 09:48 PM

Managed to keep a go pro and iPhone charged for 4 days on the devils river with one 10,000 mAH battery pack.
This was the Hero 2, they strike me as very efficent energy users so long as the auto off is enabled.
Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/20/15 03:42 AM

Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/20/15 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: megabucks461
Sounds like an awesome trip. I would like to do the same thing on the North and South Forks of the Flathead in Montana. Take a look at some of the solar chargers. Maybe someone will chime in that has one.

Hey Mega bucks, what do you know about the flathead? I have been researching that trip as well for the past year. I looking into a DIY trip, found the packer that Yellow Dog and the local outfitters use for the 2 days horse back ride in. I've got the gear. I know its dry fly cutthroat heaven but the bull trout are what interest me the most. I'm trying to get all the logistics down as far as travel and fishing days go. I think you need roughly 10 days total to do the trip from the time you leave your house to the time you get back home.

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/20/15 05:29 AM

Come on 2fly why are you going to post a bunch of videos we will be there soon enough lol.
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: Finally going to float the Black Canyon of the Gunnison! - 06/20/15 11:56 AM

I have a gopro and a SJcam 5000+ they take the same battery you can buy the SJcam battery's on Amazon for about $5 - also the SJcam is a better camera for about 1/4 the price
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum