Texas Fishing Forum

Tenkara. Rods.

Posted By: CRAPPIEJIGN

Tenkara. Rods. - 06/06/15 01:49 AM

I have been fly fishing since 1982. I have sort of fallen in love with some of the aspects of Tenkara. I have watched several videos and read several articles on the topic.

My question. Is anyone using a less cost brand than that of Tenkara USA? If so, would you please share the brand of your Tenkara rod, experience with and whether your expectations were met by purchasing a non - Tenkara USA product.

I'm not here to bash Tenkara USA, I'm simply thinking there are other brands, different lengths, and designs which I might be attracted to.

Jeff
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Tenkara. Rods. - 06/06/15 02:07 PM

I have the TFO 10'6" and love it! We got some furled line and man o man, it is nice!! I caught my PB on it a month ago...it was about 17" long....it jumped out of my hands before pics and measurements. Most beautiful trout ever....salmon colored.

I have used it for bream at first..testing it out. I started with the Floro lines, but didn't like the coil factor.

We got out line at Cutthroat Leaders.

I did try out the Tenkara USA that would extend to 2 lengths. It was nice too. That could come in handy. I first was introduced it at the Fly Fishing Texas event at Athens. After that little class, I knew I needed one.

I wanna use it for long poling crappie and bream around cypress trees.
Posted By: CRAPPIEJIGN

Re: Tenkara. Rods. - 06/07/15 04:07 PM

I appreciate your comments BBT.

I have more research to do. I'm thinking of opting for a shorter model at this point. An 8 footer. I know most videos advocate making a 20', 12' and 8' foot line and most of those rods are in the 10' + range. My thought at the moment is that a shorter rod would require an alteration of the line lengths: like 16', 10', and 6'. Rough guesses at this point.

I expect primarily to use it for sunfish and the odd trip to smaller trout stream.

Again thank you and good luck on your upcoming Galveston trip!
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Tenkara. Rods. - 06/08/15 11:19 AM

My rod is 10"6". My leader line is 11'6" plus the leader on the end (2-3'). Total - 14' You want a few feet longer than the rod. Not too much though.
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: Tenkara. Rods. - 06/08/15 04:36 PM

I have the Tenkara USA Rhodo and a TFO Soft Hackle in the 10' 6" version.
They have both proven to be excellent rods.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Tenkara. Rods. - 06/10/15 10:39 PM

I have never thought about getting one, but after watching some videos on the net, I can see that it would be fun on some of the creeks I fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum