Texas Fishing Forum

Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod

Posted By: FishyB

Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/20/15 01:04 PM

My 13 year old son is a hardcore little fishing dude and wanted to try fly fishing like his dear old dad. About a year ago, I picked up a low end fly rod and put an old reel that belonged to my grandfather on it and started showing him the basics. Not sure if it was his teacher, his age, the rod and reel combination, etc.... but he continued to gravitate back to conventional gear. We had been talking more and more about fly fishing in recent weeks and he really wanted to get serious with fly fishing. We are heading to Roaring River State Park soon and he wanted to focus on trout fishing with a fly rod.

Last Friday, we went to Cabela's and picked up a TFO Lefty Kreh Signature II 6 wt. 9' 2 piece fly rod and a nice Redington reel. I figured, why not get him something that he can use the rest of his life and even pass down to his kids and couldn't think of a better rod than a TFO. Originally, I was going to go with a lower end reel, but he had been eyeing the Redington reel for a long time and thought, hey if this what will give him the confidence then we will get it.

We even went to the Fly Fishing Film Tour on Sunday night, just to prime the pump and build excitement for our up coming trip. Besides that, we both learned a lot from the film tour and met some great guys. Backwoods did a great job putting it all together.

He has taken the rod and reel out four times since last Friday and last night he hit it big! One really nice perch and 3 bass!!! At one point, he said to me, "you know dad, this is addictive." He is hooked. We will post soon after our Roaring River trip; should be a good one.

Posted By: TrentonLee

Re: Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/20/15 01:41 PM

Awesome!!! I just put started this year and haven't picked back up my conventional gear since. Thanks for sharing this story.

Re: Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/20/15 02:32 PM

TrentonLee, did we meet at the Fly Fishing Film Tour?

We have been wanting to bring our kayaks out to Lake Mineral Wells and do some fishing; you interested in joining us?
Posted By: TrentonLee

Re: Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/20/15 02:49 PM

No sir FishyB some of my buddies went but I was unable to get a ticket in time. And sure I kayak fish MW pretty frequently but haven't had much luck lately with all of the rain causing the lake to rise and flood so fast. Caught the big fish in my signature there last year, but that was before I converted to fly fishing. The creek is up right now and should be holding some good fish but two weeks ago when my buddies and I took the boat through there we couldn't get anything to bite. The fishing should heat up as the water settles and the fish move into all the cover. PM me and we can set something up.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/20/15 03:15 PM

Great storie! Sounds like that kid has got his mind right. Tell him welcome to the club.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/20/15 05:14 PM

That is one sweet Blue Gill. Nothing like fly fishing, congratulations to you and your son, many tight lines.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/21/15 01:36 AM

Congrats! That's great. woot
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/21/15 03:18 AM

Great stuff and nice gill at that. Good job getting him into the outdoors.

Re: Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/21/15 04:07 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys. Pretty darn proud of the boy. When we were at the fly fishing film tour last Sunday, I leaned over asked him if he figured out how to make a living as a fishing bum yet? smile

We leave Saturday for Roaring River, thank the Lord, the river hasn't been blown out with rain runoff per the USGS. Looks like it will be a damp trip with trace amounts of rain, but the fish don't mind the water. Looking to provide a nice report with pictures for everyone come next week.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/23/15 02:50 PM

It just don't get any better! Memory there for a lifetime. cheers
Posted By: zulo

Re: Son's First Catch On The Fly Rod - 05/23/15 11:33 PM

Great memories, you have a lifetime fishing partner.. I saw him cast during the movie night, he throws a good loop..
Hope to see you both in our club meeting..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum