Texas Fishing Forum

Is anyone at broken Bow right now?

Posted By: Robert Hunter

Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/16/15 08:42 PM

This whole not getting to Fish recently thing has really almost killed me literally. I ended up in the ER last night dealing with people that don't want to do work right my blood pressure was 212/130 at one point with a pulse of 132. I am headed for water probably this afternoon to fish this evening and tomorrow but everything around me is kind of blown out. So I was trying to figure out what Brokenbow looks like right now I might just take off would just like to know the flows and what the fishing is like thanks for any help.
Posted By: Chatterbait

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/17/15 01:17 AM

Robert check the forum on www.beaversbendflyshop.com

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/17/15 07:05 AM

Thanks bud but I'm staying local now. Been to hard to sleep with all that's going on. If I was going would have been there now. But after looking around it is on the near agenda for sure.
Posted By: ZachW

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/17/15 10:59 PM

LMF was pretty blown out this morning. We fished the first half of spillway creek- anything below had so many feeder creeks pouring in that it was too high and muddy for us. Others may have had some success, but we didn't try.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/18/15 03:12 AM

That forum on the Beavers Bend Fly Shop normally provides the most current information as to when those blasted 2 flood gates on Spillway creek will be shut. Looks like the Powerhouse Generators in Zone 2 are repaired and that is generally where water is released from the lake. A very crazy year up there.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/18/15 03:28 PM

The rain Sunday morning blew out the river for Sunday. It was churning.

It's still a little deep for wading....I had to hold my arms up a few times. LOL!

Fishing Friday for a couple hours was good. I caught my first 20" +. Followed that up with a keeper walleye (another first). Before those fish I caught a decent brownie. So Friday I completed the LMF Grand Slam. thumb

Saturday morning it was decent during the morning fog and drizzle(I really only managed one, I couldn't stick a hook in my finger if I tried). Then it got nice and sunny. The crowds soon followed. So did the sunburns. We did find one hole to share between 3 of us late that afternoon and I stuck a nice 17" (approximation because fish jumped out of net before measurements and a picture....fish was beautiful salmon color stripe, pretty fish, sad I didn't get a pic.) on Tenkara rod. My second trout on my new rod and technique. I am addicted to it now. If I'm not throwing a big streamer, this will be in my hand at LMF. 17" Bow bent that rod around my net man's head. shocked

Sunday I only managed 2, and one got off. Both brownies. That was just as the rain was ending. Fished a couple hours and packed up camp.

All in all a decent trip, weather held out for the most part. We paid for the nice weather Saturday when it rained for over 6 hours Sunday morning. No womins, no kids. Can't beat that with a stick.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/19/15 07:37 AM

Bass bustin really been looking at those bb would be a lot of fun with those rods. I had this telescopic cane pole growing up that was 14 foot and fishing the private lakes catching pound to 2 pounds blue gill that thing was a riot. Those rods really remind me of that I have been anxious to try one. Glad y'all enjoyed the trip. I was going to go up there for sure next Sunday but depending on Wednesday at Texoma will decide that.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/19/15 12:00 PM

Memorial Day Weekend is coming, I bet the crowds will be there in Groves. frown

I might sneak out Friday before everyone gets there. Day Tripper! smile

One last trip before the crowds get too bad.

BTW Snakes are out. Watch your footing.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/21/15 03:29 AM

The whole park might be one river by then if the rain does not stop. I pray warm water is not forced in wipping the stream. Wish they would have continued the low spillway flow. Way better than massive culverts that disappear to never be seen again!!! Hope it just finds a way to stop and pick back up in late July.
Posted By: DainW

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/21/15 03:40 PM

Last I checked Broken Bow Lake was at 88% of flood pool with rain forecasted for like the week straight. Plus they've only been able to generate sporadically with all the flooding that's been going on downstream. Why they shut the flood gates and kept them closed is anyone's guess, but at this point it's looking like they're gonna have to blow the park out big time now.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/21/15 06:52 PM

Red River will crest Monday. I doubt they will release until it's down. They are saying it will flood lot of land. This weekend, that river was UP and churning.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/21/15 06:53 PM

Calling ranchers to move cattle to higher ground.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/21/15 08:37 PM

The gauge at dekalp had been going down several days I wish they would have brought it back up to help get some I the water out because it is really going to do some damage now it looks like.
Posted By: DainW

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/22/15 04:22 PM

From Eddie at the fly shop (on the fly shop message board), it sounds like the corp won't open the flood gates until at least Tuesday because of water levels downstream. It also sounds like they are going to try to avoid opening the spillway floodgates if at all possible, but if the lake gains 3 more feet in elevation that may be inevitable.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/22/15 10:06 PM

It's not going to matter what they do for those down stream if texoma is three feet over the spillway. I am saying a prayer for those down stream.
Posted By: benp

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/23/15 11:55 PM

Heading up there in the morning till wednesday. Not sure what to expect but it will be an adventure for sure!
Posted By: bikedog

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/24/15 07:56 PM

Confirmed that as some time today the Spillway gates will be opened again to 1000-1100 cfs. Depending on the rain and in flow from the north it is possible to see flows as high 2009. But that is not determined yet.

They are pulling stop logs out at EH bridge and the bridge by the fly shop again. They will definitely raise the flow today, might even be happening right now. If you are going there be very careful and be prepared to get out of the water quickly.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/24/15 09:38 PM

Alright, gates are definitely open already and they have evacuated the park. This sounds a lot like 2009, fingers crossed that it won't get that bad.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 12:54 AM

The word now is that they have opened all 8 gates on the Spillway and water is blowing now. The word I have hear is it around the 2009 levels right now. Pics on the Lower Mounta Fork River Foundation Facebook.

Not great and if you look you can find pics of the water flowing over the road at the Cold Hole. Hopefully there won't be as much damage as 2009. At least there are no footbridges to be blown out?
Posted By: RexW

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 01:23 AM

Well, that's sad...
Posted By: Fly Fishing Fanatic!

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 01:25 AM

The flows are over 10,000 cfs! The cold hole brige over lost creek is gone, the culvert and road crossing will be next, Lost Creek will be wiped out as will the evening hole bridge and possibly the fly shop! Let's hope he has good insurance or was smart enuff to get all of his inventory out of the shop. This breaks my heart we worked some many long days, weeks & months to get the river back disable after 2009. This is going to be worse....
Posted By: Denny Crane

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 02:26 AM

The lake went over the gates at 7:40 pm and The flow in SWC is over 12,000 and Eddie went to save the shop but may not have been able to reach it in time.

I've been in touch with his guys today and it is worse than anyone was told it would be even a few hours ago.

BBOK

Denny

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 02:54 AM

Man this really stinks it was really starting to look way up. Prayers to all those in the path of the water. I hope when the water goes down the damage is less than expected.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 03:38 AM

The latest just of the message board from the Beavers Bend Fly Shop.

It is final... The Corp just opened the gate 1'. Yes, 12", well above our 6" or 8" expectation. Eddie is on his way down right now and Jim Miller the head of the Park said the Corp opened to 12" with the possibility of 18". Cold hole bridge - Gone... They told Eddie the Cold hole bridge was wiped as soon as the initial push hit. Water is now over all of the bridges. Park is shut down near the river. Jim Miller said the level is higher than 2009. Lets pray there is still a fly shop there to visit when this is over.
Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 05:00 AM

all 8 gates open to 2 feet, releasing 21,000 cfs, current lake inflow is 70,000 cfs
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 05:44 AM

8 gates 24" each.....wow is all I can say....I ran in to the game warden Saturday and he only expected 8 gates 8" each, so I guess no one was ready for this. It seems like we just recovered from the last flood, and it looks like this one is two to three times as bad. I sure hope everyone made it out of the park alright and everyone is safe. It sure is a bummer but the important thing is that everyone is ok. hopefully they can draw the lake down quickly so the damage can be assessed and the river can be repaired and restored as soon as possible.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 11:42 AM

Sad, very sad. I hope no one was hurt in that. The holiday crowds were getting thick Friday when we left...

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 02:26 PM

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 02:42 PM

Courtesy of Aaron at the Fly Shop...

d
Posted By: TarponFly

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 03:10 PM

Above picture is the cold hole parking lot. The first picture is looking at the fly shop.

Sad.
Posted By: TarponFly

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 06:30 PM

Powerhouse bridge.
Posted By: jonbo

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 07:30 PM

I just returned from Beaver's Bend. My wife and I stayed in a Park cabin for the weekend. It rained all day yesterday, often hard, till about 5. They closed the roads to through traffic yesterday evening before dark. I think some areas of the Park were evacuated, but the higher cabins where we were were not. They are well above the current flooded level of the river.

This morning as we were leaving I drove in the direction of the swimming area to see what I could. The rangers had a blockade well before and above the little intersection. You could see down toward the intersection that it was underwater. The ranger told me that the gates were open to 16". I drove the other way down to the camper campground and the Z2 gate. The river was within its banks, but not by too much, and flowing very fast. The camper-trailers had all been evacuated. The cabins just upstream, like ours, had not been evacuated. The lady at the Park office said that the canoe concession had lost canoes and kayaks and that the Flyshop had lost inventory. Eddie, at his website, has not mentioned his inventory. This looks really bad for the fishery, but I pray especially that livelihoods are not affected.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 08:41 PM

Here are some very disturbing pics of what is happening there right now. Hopes for this to end soon are out there and everyone will do their best to help rebuild no doubt.

LMFRF website w/pics
Posted By: RexW

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 09:02 PM

The LMFRF pictures are bad news. There will be a lot of damage from this.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 09:24 PM

A couple of scary videos are on the Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation FB page
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 09:39 PM

I just returned today from BB. we fished below the spillway Saturday. we drove across the bridge in the pics yesterday afternoon. Sad to see these pics.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 10:43 PM

I wonder if it would ease the damage if they slowly opened the gates instead of sending down a tidal wave.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/25/15 11:02 PM

You mean, in the future?

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/26/15 12:37 AM

This was a "gradual" build up to this level. They have even been bumping up the low flow valve to where it's at now. The river channel in Zone 1, upper end, is able to hold about 1200 cfs at max. 21700 is way over the top and no matter how gradually the flow is increased it will cause this kind of even when it's this high.

Just too much water. But they are getting potable water in there now. The water treatment building at the powerhouse has been shut down due to the flooding going on. Electrical equipment fears.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/26/15 11:44 AM

Last 2 weeks they have been generating off and on. Sure wish they had just generated 24/7. Might have helped prevent this.

This is almost like loosing a good friend, which is not nearly as bad as the people who make their livelihood off that river and that area. Sad, very sad. RIP LMF.

After watching the Corp handle Lake of the Pines locally, I'm not sure I trust those "kids". Yeah, if you ever called them you will realize why I call them "kids"....cause most of them are. I'm not sure they even know what they are doing.

Not sure if their Corp is the same way, but the Ft. Worth District is a joke.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/26/15 03:41 PM

They should have been letting water out for a month at most places.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/26/15 06:06 PM

Beavers Bend State Park FB Page

Quote:
There have been a couple posts stating that we should re-open in a few days as soon as the corps stops releasing water from the lake; however; the amount of water that has been released has done considerable damage to our lease concession vendors, roadways, bridges, water supply, and electrical systems. This is not going to be a few days, or maybe even few weeks issue. We will begin assessing damage as soon as the release of water stops and we can get to the areas of our park that are inaccessible at this time. Once we've assessed the damages we can begin cleanup and repair operations and we will have a better indication of how soon we can begin operations again. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Here is the word on how long this may take to fix. There are rumors of several months that the park is closed this summer. Lots of lost time, money and livelihood there.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/26/15 07:26 PM

Blessedly, no one was killed. That's the only way this doesn't suck. From what I understand this event projects at least somewhat worse than 2009. I'd guess the Park and fishing are closed for the rest of 2015.
Posted By: Brad Bessett

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/26/15 07:56 PM

Yeah you'd think they will shut it all down until the State feels like the park is safe for any and all tourists again (including fisherman). They don't want the liability. This means replacing roads, downed/compromised bridges, etc... You can bet that the entire summer/fall is gone at the least.

Other than the south end of the park with all the cabins, the bulk of the tourism is on the bend of the river, which is all destroyed. I'm willing to bet that the Evening Hole and Fly Shop bridges will be toast. We already know the Cold Hole bridge is long gone.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/26/15 09:26 PM

Well it appears that the COE has cut back the flow to 16000 cfs out of the gates.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/27/15 01:43 AM

From Eagletown Volunteer Fire Dept FB page
Quote:
Update!!! The US Army Corps of Engineers have shut the spillway gates down to 18 inches! They hope to have them shutdown to 6 inches by 12 A.M. Wednesday morning. This will give us some much needed relief. However, due to the increased inflows into Pine Creek Lake, they are projecting to open the spillway more into Little River there. This will keep the Little River at high levels. Citizens near the Little River and Mt. Fork arm are encouraged to stay cautious due to the fact we may see more rain move into the area late tonight or early in the morning.

Broken Bow PWA staff and Broken Bow City administration are also working to attempt to restore the water supply to the gravity flow system.

Please like and share our page along with the statuses as we try to keep you updated. Thank you for your patience and cooperation during this time. Mark Hannah, Fire Chief.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/27/15 02:22 AM

Zone 3 Saturday morning...

Next Day

And it got worse after this...

Denny
Posted By: Chinaski

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/27/15 02:54 AM

As of 9 PM Tuesday May 26: Current Readings:

Pool elevation is 627.73 feet on Tuesday 26May15 Time: 2100 hours.
At this elevation the total amount of water stored in Broken Bow Lake is 1354378 acre-feet.
Reservoir release is 27800 cubic feet per second on Tuesday 26May15 Time: 2100 hours.
Flood control pool is 101.01% full.
Flood control pool storage filled is 403313 acre-feet which is equivalent to 10.03 inches of runoff over the entire drainage basin.
Flood control pool storage empty is -4039 acre-feet which is equivalent to -0.10 inches of runoff over the entire drainage basin.

Gate Changes:

Tuesday, 26 May 15 at 7:00 p.m.
Pool Elevation = 627.85 feet.
New Gate Discharge was 16249 cubic feet per second.
New Gate Settings:
8 Tainter Gates open 1.50 FEET
1 Low Flow Valve open 25.00 PERCENT

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/27/15 03:30 AM

Consider the damage these storms have caused all over Oklahoma. Consider the expense to the state of Oklahoma to repair basic infrastructure in those areas, roadways, bridges, electrical, water supply, sewer systems, buildings, etc. Now after that consider how much of a budget the state will have for repairs to state parks. State recreational areas are going to be way down the list of storm recovery priorities. Take Beavers Bend for example. Damage assessment, debris and hazard removal, roadway and bridge repair, stabilizing and repairing damaged park facilities, checking the park water supply, rebuilding the RV and waterside campground / picnic areas and rebuilding washed out footpaths etc. the fix-it list gets longer the more you think about it but how will the fix be coordinated and at what cost and what items get prioritized? This process will go on for months through the summer into Fall and carry over into next year. It is all well and good to keep spirits high and be optimistic that everything will be fixed and back to rights with just a few dry sunny days worth of industrious work but a reality check may be in store. The aquatic ecosystem of Zone 1 was power washed down beyond Zone 2 and Zone 1 will be a lifeless debris choked watery ravine. Not a trout, minnow, crayfish, frog or rock clinging insect to be found. Re-establishing Zone 1 as a trout fishing environment will be a long term project unto itself aside from general park fixes. No, there won't be any trout stocking this week fellas and you won't be allowed to drive around in to the park anyway. The economic loss and recovery cost is truly shocking. A lot of park related livelihoods were changed when the dam gates were opened. Beavers Bend is in for a long recovery. The McCurtain County tourism industry was delivered a severe blow just in time for the summer season.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/27/15 10:44 AM

Broken Bow Lake USACE page

Gate Changes:

Wednesday, 27 May 15 at 3:00 a.m.
Pool Elevation = 627.51 feet.
New Gate Discharge was 5644 cubic feet per second.
New Gate Settings:
8 Tainter Gates open 0.50 FEET
Tuesday, 26 May 15 at 10:30 p.m.
Pool Elevation = 627.68 feet.
New Gate Discharge was 10954 cubic feet per second.
New Gate Settings:
8 Tainter Gates open 1.00 FEET
Tuesday, 26 May 15 at 7:00 p.m.
Pool Elevation = 627.85 feet.
New Gate Discharge was 16249 cubic feet per second.
New Gate Settings:
8 Tainter Gates open 1.50 FEET
Tuesday, 26 May 15 at 2:15 p.m.
Pool Elevation = 628.08 feet.
New Gate Discharge was 16965 cubic feet per second.
New Gate Settings:
7 Tainter Gates open 1.50 FEET
1 Tainter Gate open 2.00 FEET

Current Readings:

Pool elevation is 627.47 feet on Wednesday 27May15 Time: 0500 hours.
At this elevation the total amount of water stored in Broken Bow Lake is 1349812 acre-feet.
Reservoir release is 11644 cubic feet per second on Wednesday 27May15 Time: 0500 hours.
Flood control pool is 99.87% full.
Flood control pool storage filled is 398746 acre-feet which is equivalent to 9.92 inches of runoff over the entire drainage basin.
Flood control pool storage empty is 527 acre-feet which is equivalent to 0.01 inches of runoff over the entire drainage basin.
Posted By: kentuckytroutbum

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/27/15 02:36 PM

Anybody have a copy of the blueprints for Noah's Ark? I think that we're going to need it!

Bill

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/27/15 07:41 PM

From the Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation Latest update - It's not good

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/28/15 10:52 AM

From the Lower Mountain For River Foundation:
Quote:
LMFRF Member,

OK, they are getting around for looks. OKDOT was down removing trees from swim beach bridge because that’s 259A and covered by them. It looks OK. Eddie’s bridge looks to be OK but the handicap walkway on the upstream side was demolished. Evening Hole and Cold Hole bridges are destroyed. Don’t know if the culvert for Cold Hole is still there, water too high to tell. Water also too high to get a feel for Evening Hole itself. We will see.

Pictures of damage are on the website - Photos of the 2015 Flood-Updated 5/27.

Don Groom has already been up to look. His boss, maybe Barry Bolton, and possibly the Commission (or some of them) are scheduled to survey the damage.

I reminded him that our primary mission is the improvement and maintenance of the LMF trout fishery. If they need funds or funding to get matching funds for any and all repairs, to please get hold of us.

I do not know how or who is going to be responsible for, or when, the bridges will be repaired. That is a park road, not covered by OKDOT. But I hope Mike Love still has the phone number for the people that paved last time!

This is going to be a whole new Spillway Creek!

Those are all the facts that I have now.

Patrick Waters

Wednesday, 27 May 15 at 10:00 p.m.

Pool Elevation = 627.07 feet.
New Gate Discharge was 204 cubic feet per second.
New Gate Settings:
8 Tainter Gates open 0.00 FEET

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/28/15 03:32 PM

Another quick update on the situation in the park:

The park is CLOSED right now. OKDOT is still needing to send in structural engineers to assess the swim beach bridge. The park is responsible for doing the same on the bridge by Beaver's Bend Fly Shop. This makes getting around in the park impossible for now. There is still no drinking water inside the park.

Broken Bow Lake is still full, IE-at full flood pool level, and there is still rain predicted. Remember that it is not just rain at the lake but runoff from north of the lake that affects the levels.

There is no guarantee that the gates will not open again. Additionally the park is not planning to do any clean up until the rain/release danger is completely past them. This means the flood pool being close to empty.

Right now the park and state agencies are in the damage assessment and most basic needs repaired stage. Jim Miller, park manager, is aware that the LMFRF and it's members are here and ready to help. The time to begin volunteering and helping is just not here yet. We will certainly reach out and look for help at the earliest possible time. We certainly appreciate everyone's thoughts and offers and look forward to working with you to rebuild this fishery and park.

Park info is verified through Jim Miller, Beaver's Bend State Park manager.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/28/15 04:27 PM

Latest from Pat W, president of the LMFRF. With new pics also,

5/28/15 LMFRF page updates

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/28/15 09:48 PM

Was the fly shop still there when it went down. I'm sure it is a lot of damage but at least it was a fairly simple small building to fix.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/28/15 09:55 PM

Really good to see that there were fish rising. Hiding under a Cutbank would be an understatement looking at some of those pictures. Looks like a bulldozer went right down the side of the creek.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/28/15 10:22 PM

The shop building didn't move an inch on the foundation. Eddie is stripping it down to studs to dry everything but it seems like the building "bones" are alright. Threw all the other buildings downstream though. I guess it was secured better.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/29/15 04:35 AM

That's really good! Well it's really sad to see but I'm sure it will get going again. That fishery bring is way too much revenue into that area. I hope to get up there and help in the effort when the chances of flood goes down and rebuilding starts.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/30/15 08:08 AM

You know from the pictures I have seen the river looks really good. Add some loose substrate and they should be spawning again in no time. I had talked with a friend of mine and the park may be closed but if they are guarding it like they do the fishery on an average basis we should be able to drive right down to the river and fish. Probably already lawn chairs and power bait out. I really hope the scare continues to improve and the park is back in working order. Not having utilities should help with the type of crowd. You don't see too many hard core lawn chair fisherman. Those that show up with a six pack I bush and a jar of eggs are not adding much to the economy anyway. I am actually really excited to get up there and see the new river.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/30/15 03:15 PM

Hey Robert. Go over to the BB Flyshop message board and check out the pics that Aaron has put up of Spillway Creek. It looks really good! A little like a western mountain stream. I'm amazed and pretty excited. Now I'm hoping the Corp will do a big release (but much smaller than this last one) every spring, just for the sake of trout-stream maintenance.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/30/15 03:22 PM

Yes absolutely it really does help the water system.
Posted By: speed stick 101

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/30/15 11:07 PM

Have a cabin rented in broken bow June 5,6, and 7th. was hoping to do some fishing. Any help you guys can give me would be very much appreciated. Any info on where we might take the kids so they might catch something would help. thanks

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/31/15 12:24 AM

You will most likely be fishing the Broken Bow Reservoir above the dam in the Hochatown State Park rather than the Lower Mountain Fork River trout stream in Beavers Bend Park below the dam because Beavers Bend Park is closed due to the destruction wrought by the flood from the dam last week. Hm, looking at the online fishing report from the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation you might not be fishing on the reservoir either:
Broken Bow: May 24. All access to the lake is closed. Report submitted by Dru Polk, game warden stationed in McCurtain County.
Lower Mountain Fork: May 24. Closed at Beavers Bend State Park and Spillway Creek due to flooding. Report submitted by Mark Hannah, game warden stationed in McCurtain County.
Closures at Beavers Bend & Hochatown State Park

May 28, 2015: Lakeview Lodge in the Hochatown area is open for business. Beavers Bend State Park remains closed to through traffic and essential personnel only are permitted in the park. The golf course remains closed.

The present high water on the Broken Bow Reservoir / Hochatown State park might recede to safe levels by the time of your trip in June. Beavers Bend park will remain closed.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/31/15 12:08 PM

You should be able to fish Zone 3. I would think....

I hate to see kid go without fishing.....and businesses to suffer, but it's starting frown

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 05/31/15 12:34 PM

Careful about fishing in the lower sections, you still have 6200 cfs coming out of the generators right now. Sorry.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/01/15 06:00 PM

Yeah speed stick, now might be the time to ask about your reservation. Is the cabin in the park? Is there a way to get your deposit back considering the entire area us shut down?
Posted By: largemouthokie

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/02/15 12:28 AM

Talked to guide who caught 30 today in zone3. PM me if interested in a trip.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/02/15 02:22 AM

I would love to get in and hit spillway right now bet it's good!

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/05/15 04:33 PM

Fixing to leave for broken bow area, CABIN UP BY hOCHATOWN. WILL CHECK IN WITH YOU GUYS TONIGHT TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS ANY TIPS ON WHERE TO FISH IF POSSIBLE

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/05/15 08:03 PM

Well the park is closed. The only fishing is on the banks of the lake...

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/05/15 08:19 PM

What a bummer river looks so good( didn't think I would say that) but I really look forward to getting up there in exploring the new terrain.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/06/15 02:08 PM

Atleast everyone will be learning it again for the 1st time. smile

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/06/15 04:37 PM

Flood control pool down to 84% hope it keeps going down without opening the gates again.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/07/15 11:03 AM

YAY!! laugh

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/08/15 11:06 PM

Did not have any lock with the fish. But the great folks at all the bait stores, and folks that lived there who more than went out of their way to make our stay at hochatown a wonderful more than made up for the lack of fish. We had plenty to eat and had a wonderful time. Hope all the business AND GUIDES CAN RECOVER

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/09/15 03:17 AM

Did you get to get on the river or did you have to stay lakeside?

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/09/15 03:25 PM

Robert, unfortunately the State Park is completely closed to the public. No access anywhere.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/09/15 09:18 PM

What a shame. Did they even let you get to where you can get a glimpse of the river?

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/09/15 10:06 PM

Never got close to river. Maybe because I did not know my way around. Tried along banks of lake by Carson creek areA, still had a great time and looking forwArd to going back,

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/10/15 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: robert hunter
What a shame. Did they even let you get to where you can get a glimpse of the river?

State Park FB Page said no. Can't go past barricades. They will escort you out....thus taking up their time repairing. So the post said.
Posted By: jkg2003

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/10/15 03:14 PM

Is the lake open to boaters yet?

Justin

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/10/15 08:18 PM

This should help:

http://www.travelok.com/state_parks_update

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/10/15 08:21 PM

Actually that link is not very informative. Last I heard the lake was closed to boaters, open for bank fishing (just the lake). But that was a week ago.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/11/15 02:04 PM

Lake has always been open, just had to find alternate ways to get in the lake. The ramps in the Park have been closed. A couple ramps SHOULD open at 618 lake level. It is 620.10 now. Dropping about .7 feet per day. Sometime this weekend hopefully but there is a chance for more rain.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/12/15 05:06 PM

We can all go see for ourselves on the condition of the river.

Beavers Bend State Park reopens

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/12/15 05:39 PM

Well that's a start I can't belive I passed up going when I did but look forward to getting up there. Are they planning on trying to stock or is there no way to get the truck in.

Re: Is anyone at broken Bow right now? - 06/15/15 06:58 AM

I Here with the gate being open there are a lot of catfish in the river. I really think that would help with our problem with the zoning on the lower mountain fork. How about a 75/25 split of trout to catfish stocking that stinky bait will pick up all those little whiskered suckers and you get a combined limit of trout and catfish.6 fish mix or match any size no trout over 18 inches can be retained.make sure all the cats are in the two pound range(way cheaper than trout ). If you want a trout bigger than that go buy a salmon fillet. That should keep all of the lawn chair guys are happy and have a catfish fry. From what I hear it sounds like you're going to be about like walking in zone two in spillway now. Watch your steps guys I look forward to more reports and pictures of the river. Can't wait to get up there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum