Texas Fishing Forum

Fly Rod Repair

Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Fly Rod Repair - 04/23/15 02:00 AM

I broke my fly rod recently and this is how I fixed it..

Posted By: Stan Wright

Re: Fly Rod Repair - 04/24/15 07:28 PM

I've done that kind of repair… Years ago when I started guiding, a guide/fly shop owner told me that if I wanted to call myself a fly fishing guide I needed to invest in some good quality fishing tackle. Quality tackle would preform better, and last longer. It would also instill confidence I'm my clients and enhance my credibility as a professional guide. One of the side benefits… most quality rods have a lifetime guarantee. I've had rod tips snapped off in electric car windows, crushed in slammed doors, eaten by a ceiling fan, stepped on by clients, and just explode under the pressure of a large fish taking line. In all cases, I just mailed the broken rod back to the manufacturer and if they couldn't find a matching replacement section, they mailed me a brand new rod… FREE.
Those "expensive" Sage rods have more than paid for themselves over the years.
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Fly Rod Repair - 04/25/15 02:30 AM

Posted By: Gordon Bryson

Re: Fly Rod Repair - 04/26/15 07:38 PM

I've also used very small music wire (very stiff steel wire) when the tip section is too small to insert a rod piece into. Ideal is to use three and place them in a triangular shape. I use epoxy to make sure it cures out into a solid mass. Also, in sanding the bevels down, and you may have done this, I put the two pieces side by side with one inverted. Then you can sand any bevel on the pieces and when you join them together they form a perfect fit. Good video, thanks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum