Texas Fishing Forum

Mineral Wells Lake

Posted By: TrentonLee

Mineral Wells Lake - 04/20/15 07:54 PM

Due to some heavy rains this weekend my hometown lake is now up to 97% full from 52%. The boat dock is open for the first time ever since I have started fishing out there. So excited I can't see straight! I wish I had some before and after pics to share.

Re: Mineral Wells Lake - 04/20/15 07:55 PM

I think a handful of my buddies and I are the only ones that flyfish out there and I am thrilled to be able to fish all of the structure that I have been eyeballing the past few years as the lake has been down so low.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Mineral Wells Lake - 04/20/15 08:23 PM

Go get 'em!
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Mineral Wells Lake - 04/20/15 08:58 PM

That is a feel good story. Nothing nicer tha a full lake or pond. Only way to fill them is with rain. Bring the rain.
Posted By: brownhauler

Re: Mineral Wells Lake - 04/21/15 03:32 AM

This is the best before I have.

Here is an after. The island that has been in the middle is almost gone.

Re: Mineral Wells Lake - 04/21/15 03:35 AM

Its gone up so much that you can't see the buoys any more either.

Re: Mineral Wells Lake - 04/21/15 03:53 PM

Thanks for sharing Brownhauler...my buddy got some good shots of the spillway too. Looks like its less than an inch from going over. If the forecast is right we may be getting more rain this week. I would like to see Palo Pinto get hit like MW did.

Re: Mineral Wells Lake - 04/21/15 03:54 PM

I've heard that all the old structure being underwater again could mess with the fishing for a year or two. Either way I'm glad we got the rain but hope they are still biting good especially with the crappie spawn going on.

Re: Mineral Wells Lake - 04/22/15 01:58 AM

I fished it Sunday and the bite was way off. Water was like chocolate milk and the wind was the worst I have seen on that lake.
I threw every fly I could think of and didn't get squat. Moved to real bait and still nothing. A lot of the folks that were out there
were buying minnows with no luck as well. I think this rain is gonna help the lake but the fishing is gonna suffer for a while.

Re: Mineral Wells Lake - 04/22/15 04:45 PM

Thanks for sharing...I kayaked the Brazos west of MW Saturday morning with two of my good buddies after the first good rain came through Friday night and we had the exact same results. Either way I am grateful for the rain! Maybe we can meet up on MW sometime.

Re: Mineral Wells Lake - 04/23/15 01:53 AM

Sounds good. Ill let you know the next time I head that way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum