Texas Fishing Forum

Destination mason texas April 10-12

Posted By: keebranch

Destination mason texas April 10-12 - 04/14/15 04:10 PM

all,
as some of you know I like to throw some Glass rods and UL and sometimes UL glass :, so nine of us glass geeks from Texas and Oklahoma met up at Mason Texas to fish the Llano River. Somehow we discovered another gem - the upper San Saba River. We had a blast throwing vintage as well as newer glass fly rods and ate way too much.
Day one the fishing on the Llano was marginal since a norther front had rolled in bringing cooler temps and rain in some areas. day two we focused on the San Saba from the town of Menard fishing our way back east. Sunday most of us traveled home, but a few of us fished near the town of Llano with limited success due to another front and stained water.
Here are some photos of the shin dig
camp and food

Day one Llano at white's crossing

I caught a few of the little guys - the Guadalupe Bass

James River

Day 2 on the San Saba- very productive for LMB bass, guads,and sunfish

and one BIG red ear

[img]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/...xwrtn.jpg[/img]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Destination mason texas April 10-12 - 04/15/15 04:43 AM

coolphotos Good times. It just don't get any better. cheers Also solid post and thanks for sharing. fish

Side Note: Wished I could have made it out there to meet some of you folks. Hopefully there will be a next time. thumb

Re: Destination mason texas April 10-12 - 04/15/15 03:22 PM

Chuck,
yes we will be coming back- seems like the last discussion was to fish the Blanco and san marcos rivers.

Les
Posted By: Ellie's Grampa

Re: Destination mason texas April 10-12 - 04/15/15 07:27 PM

Thanks for sharing, Les -
Posted By: ZachW

Re: Destination mason texas April 10-12 - 04/15/15 07:59 PM

Sounds like a great time.

One of my favorite weekends of fishing came from the James River off some private land near where you were. Some friends and I rented a ranch for the weekend and not 100 yards away from the house was the absolute healthiest, busiest water I've ever seen. The creek was right in a spot where an ice cold spring met up with warm creek water and man were there a lot of fish in a tiny area. Catfish, cichlids, brim, bass, carp. It was awesome!
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: Destination mason texas April 10-12 - 04/15/15 11:47 PM

Camp cat does NOT appear amused. Of course, a few pics later we see somebody brought their little brown doggy with them. Might explain the cat's bad attitude, lol.

That looks like it was fun. I'm still looking for my first out this year. Between the rain and my J.O.B. it just ain't happened yet.

I have a 6/7 H&I I bought off of Gene last year that I love fishing with. Maybe sometime I can get my act together down and join y'all.

Kirk
Posted By: Bob9

Re: Destination mason texas April 10-12 - 04/16/15 12:15 AM

Nice catching. That last sunfish looks like a Green.

Bob
clap

Re: Destination mason texas April 10-12 - 04/16/15 02:14 AM

Hi bob,
The photo from the last on is not pulling up correctly and if you go to he sunfish section, you'll see it. It's a beeg red ear. The second to last is a decent green.

Les
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Destination mason texas April 10-12 - 04/16/15 02:57 AM

Les, I'm happy it looks like you ole fiberglass flyrodders had a good time. One of these days I'm going to time one of those parties just right and get to attend. Love catching sunnies one light glass

Re: Destination mason texas April 10-12 - 04/16/15 03:00 AM

Bill
You're welcome to join in anytime.

Les
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum