Texas Fishing Forum

Fly rod question

Posted By: Catfish713

Fly rod question - 04/12/15 03:48 PM

Has anyone here tried out or looked at the White River fly shop intruder series rods? I bought the 8wt version in a combo they had for sale a while back. Love the feel of the rod, it's light and has plenty of backbone while still being sensitive. I've caught plenty of nice bass on it. As a fairly experienced fly fisherman my issue is I can't seem to produce more than about an 80' cast with it. Granted this is a value setup so it's not going to compare to my sage (6wt), however I feel like I should be able to get better distance out of it. I don't need to cast 80+ feet for bass, however I would like to produce some longer casts for chasing reds at Calaveras as well as bay fishing at the coast. (I've used other 8wts, but this is my first to own). I'm not sure what the issue is here, not sure if it's my casting technique, the rod, my fly line, my fly, etc. So if anyone has any pointers of insight Id love to hear it. Thanks yall!
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Fly rod question - 04/12/15 04:17 PM

So many variables, I'm reluctant to say much that contains any certainty. But I will venture one suggestion; try a lighter line, a seven weight perhaps? Eighty-plus feet of line can be a hefty load and the weight difference could possibly be a game changer. Or it might not. But it could be worth a try.

http://www.common-cents.info

Re: Fly rod question - 04/12/15 05:04 PM

Well I will add that I am using an 8wt FWF saltwater taper line with a 9' leader having a 40lb butt section, 30lb mid, and 20lb end section along with 15lb tippet, and typically throwing #6-1/0 clousers, gurglers, seaducers, poppers, etc. the unweighted flies aren't as much of a problem as the weighted ones. Some of the smaller/lighter ones are tossible on my 6wt. I am pretty proficient with a double haul cast as well. So you think trying out a 7wt line may be a possible solution to my issue?
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Fly rod question - 04/12/15 06:47 PM

It COULD be a lot of different things, but if you are an experienced fluff chucker then I'd look at the line first. You may need to change to a lighter or heavier line, or you may just need to slick up the line that's on it. Often those bargain combos come with a cheap line that won't flow through the guides too well. Swap reels with some buds and see if one of their lines performs better on the rod.

Re: Fly rod question - 04/12/15 07:46 PM

The combo actually did not come with line, I'm using a cortland saltwater taper, may have to look into getting some Rio or SA as well, but of course I can always try slicking it up as well as varying my line weight
Posted By: RexW

Re: Fly rod question - 04/12/15 10:18 PM

The ability to cast beyond 80 feet is a skill that few fly fishers possess.

Are you able to cast your 6 wt farther than you are able to cast this rod?

Re: Fly rod question - 04/13/15 05:52 AM

I have on occasion put my entire fly line out the rod tip on my 6wt while casting light aerodynamic flies on a double haul with a light wind to my back, so 90 feet or so, but my Sage is a VT2, very fast rod, pretty easy to put a major load on it, I'd like to be able to do this with my 8wt
Posted By: George Glazener

Re: Fly rod question - 04/13/15 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: RexW
The ability to cast beyond 80 feet is a skill that few fly fishers possess.

Are you able to cast your 6 wt farther than you are able to cast this rod?
I agree with Rex - I am comfortable with my everyday 70-80 ft casts.
Yeah, I can cast further sometimes but don't catch many fish in my back yard.... banana
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Fly rod question - 04/13/15 12:10 PM

It's like winning a million dollars and saying "Well, that wasn't enough!" smile

Re: Fly rod question - 04/13/15 01:11 PM

Sounds to me like it is time to get a casting lesson.

Very good technique and timing is required to continue to add distance to your cast at the distances we're discussing. But you need to pick your instructor carefully. Very few have experience working with students in the 80+ foot class. In Texas, I'd suggest using Steve Hollensed. Another option, on May 30 at the IFFF Texas Expo, Steve and Bob Garber will be teaching a distance class in New Braunfels.

Before discounting the value of a casting lesson, keep in mind that while he was competition casting, Bill Gammell used casting lessons to help increase from 115 feet to 130+ feet of distance.

However, if you still want focus on an equipment fix to gain more distance, then I'd suggest learning to use a shooting head style line.

Good luck!
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Fly rod question - 04/13/15 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
It's like winning a million dollars and saying "Well, that wasn't enough!" smile

Have you seen the price for some of the custom rods, Simms waders and some of the fly lines? It might not be enough lol

Re: Fly rod question - 04/13/15 03:36 PM

Rex, thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to hit him up. I'm not necessarily unhappy with my casting, it's just that constant urge to improve upon myself! I surf cast as well, and currently my goal is the 150yd mark, my closest so far is 138yds, but I'm not willing to give up any time soon! For now I'm just going to keep working on it, I'll probably get another 8wt as well just to have a 2nd one but I'm definitely going to look into the lessons. I never had any real fly casting instruction, I pretty much taught myself by observation
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Fly rod question - 04/13/15 07:58 PM

One and half football fields? You must mean 150 feet not yards?
I am happy with 50 feet, the little Blue Gills battle too much against a lot of line to pull around. grin

Re: Fly rod question - 04/13/15 10:31 PM

Haha for the surf I am talkin about yards. Throwing a 6-8oz weight on a 12' rod with a shock leader, 100+yds isn't that difficult, just haven't managed the 150yds yet, I measure out distance with a line counter. I can pull about 50-60 feet on my 3wt and it's just about perfect lol

Re: Fly rod question - 04/13/15 11:10 PM

Here's an appropriate article on this topic:

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishi...than-you-think/

Re: Fly rod question - 04/14/15 04:05 AM

Great link Rex!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum