Texas Fishing Forum

Fly rod cabinet

Posted By: Capt. Mac

Fly rod cabinet - 04/09/15 05:44 PM

Hi guys, wanted to show you the fly rod cabinet i built. Got tired of "fishing" for the right rod out of the closet and wanted to get all my gear orginized and in one place. The original plan was to put it in the shop, next to my boat so when i was ready to go fishing i could take what i needed out of the cabinet and put it right in the boat. But, when my wife saw it she told me that it was way to pretty to leave in the shop and that it was going in the house. When my wife "allows" something from the shop into the house, that means something to me. So now it sits in my office. Rod tubes, dip nets and old wading staffs on the left and, on the right, drawers for vest, reels,leader and tippet materials, and all the other gadgets and stuff fly rodders seam to collect. Stocking foot wadders in the bottom drawer - boots are still left in the shop. Did'nt think about it until after i was finished but going to convert one of the drawers into a cigar humidor. Now when i get a last minute call to go fishing i don't have to make a mad scramble through the house and shop trying to find everything, i just go to the cabinet.

Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/09/15 05:53 PM

Beautifully done. When is mine being delivered?? banana
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/09/15 05:54 PM

Very nice cabinet you built.That looks great!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/09/15 08:24 PM

Awesome work as usual, Capt. thumb

I see that collection of hand made fly boxes is increasing too. Now maybe you can spend a little time actually fishing, LOL!!!
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 12:47 AM

That is too neat. Well done.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 12:58 AM

Very nice! cheers
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 06:29 AM

That is a fine piece of work my friend!!
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 07:02 AM

simply amazing! Capt. Mac, you have so many talents.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 11:56 AM

Are you on Pintrest? smile Looks good!!!

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

No sir, why?
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Mac

No sir, why?

Ah, it's full of wood working, photography, fly fishing, and fly tying. Lot of stuff on there like you have mastered.

I know, I know it sounds so Girly....but it's legit with the Fly Fishing Community! smile

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 03:17 PM

thank you for the replies - you guys are the best!

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Mac

No sir, why?

Ah, it's full of wood working, fly fishing, and fly tying. Lot of stuff on there like you have mastered.

I know, I know it sounds so Girly....but it's legit with the Fly Fishing Community! smile

Well then, sounds like something I need to check into. Thanks.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 07:31 PM

Thats awesome
Posted By: winchester44

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 10:02 PM

A man of many talents

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/10/15 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: winchester44
A man of many talents

That's what my wife says but I don't think she means that as a compliment. roflmao

Thanks guys!
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/11/15 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe
Awesome work as usual, Capt. thumb

I see that collection of hand made fly boxes is increasing too. Now maybe you can spend a little time actually fishing, LOL!!!

X2
Everything you make looks great to me. When are you making yourself a rod? Story behind the Capt Mac pic?

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/11/15 05:32 PM

Thank you Dawg! You know, building my own rod is something that has just never really interested me. Probably better to leave that up to the people who know what there doing anyway. I'm am making plans to build a wood rod tube though. I'm going to make it hexagon shaped, just like a can rod.
Not really much of a story. That's me in the picture when I was ten. We used to live in Harlingen ( South Texas) and Redfish a lot. The shrimp boat in the photo ran aground on the edge of the Brownsville ship channel and for some reason they took all the gear off the boat and left it. My dad liked to stop off there, on the way to fish a place called South Bay, and climb on the roof to look around. The boat was right in the mouth of the bay and was the highest vantage point. Anyway, my mom came along one day and happened to bring a camera. She took that photo. So when I registered on the fish forum I was trying to think up a clever "handle", you know, something like " I breath there for I fish" or " super booger". While I was kicking around names I came across this photo. My last name is McKinzie so I thought, well that's perfect - Capt. Mac.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/12/15 04:12 AM

Hey Capt. you need to check out that Pinterest thing my girl follows a ton of fly fishing stuff on there. The fly fishing community has really taken Hold in that site. There are a bunch of people worldwide that would like to see some of your work on there!
Posted By: Fly or Die

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/12/15 01:19 PM

That is a fine piece of work. I need one of those for my office. My wife is constantly complaining for me to put my pile of fly fishing gear away.

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/12/15 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: robert hunter
There are a bunch of people worldwide that would like to see some of your work on there!

Yea, I'll bet from all over the world are anxiously awaiting for me to put my stuff on there roflmao

And I thought you guys said it was'nt a " girly" site and Robert is telling me his girl trolling the place constantly. ha!

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/12/15 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Fly or Die
That is a fine piece of work. I need one of those for my office. My wife is constantly complaining for me to put my pile of fly fishing gear away.

I got a wife just like that. whip
Posted By: RexW

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/12/15 10:22 PM

Nice work! thumb

Re: Fly rod cabinet - 04/13/15 08:28 PM

Thank you Rex W!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum