Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie on the fly

Posted By: TrentonLee

Crappie on the fly - 03/30/15 04:14 PM

This is my first year fly fishing so everything is still new to me. This Friday will be my first time targeting crappie and any tips on what works or advice on what to throw at em would be greatly appreciated. My buddies will be using conventional gear but it's just not as much of a thrill to me anymore since I've started fly fishing.
Posted By: Fishwfly

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 12:33 AM

I have found that they hit pretty much any fly I've chosen if they are sitting on beds. Pretty aggressive. I was fishing tenkara today and caught some on Kebari style flies.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 01:06 AM

small yellow head with chhartruese small worm body maybe 1 inch and under an indicator..i tore them up last weekend doing that
Posted By: Capt. Brendan

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 01:06 AM

I've never caught a crappie on the fly but maybe try some near deere's.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 01:19 AM

I don't know if you can see the jig but it is a gold head 1/16 oz pink or yellow worm perch and crappie loved it
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 03:00 AM

I know barn doors will kill a clouser. Heck there are times they get in the way of my sandbass. Good way to get fried because who eats sandbass lol bolt

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 05:03 AM

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 03:53 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys!!! I've never done bad on Mineral Wells Lake here in my hometown but this is my first time fly fishing for them. Ill be sure and post if I do any good.
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 05:15 PM

I would fish bright colored wooly buggers below an indicator just out from structure.
That has worked for me for over 40 years.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 05:36 PM

Clousers get my vote.

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 06:26 PM

Robert I wouldn't mind catching a couple of those this weekend HAHA. Capt. Mac looks like I need to get to tying some clousers this week.

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 07:32 PM

Re: Crappie on the fly - 03/31/15 09:05 PM

Nice Jerry...Im torturing myself looking at all these pictures while I'm stuck at work

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/01/15 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: TrentonLee
Nice Jerry...Im torturing myself looking at all these pictures while I'm stuck at work

If it helps any I'm at work posting them! crying
Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/01/15 09:03 PM

here is a pig robert caught this morning. hey robert what did you catch him on? LOL

2.5lbs
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/01/15 11:29 PM

NICE!!
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/02/15 02:06 AM

A meal on it's own, thanks for posting.
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/02/15 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: 2FlyFish4
here is a pig robert caught this morning. hey robert what did you catch him on? LOL

2.5lbs

bow_down eek2 Yea, what did you catch it on

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/02/15 04:03 AM

And Casey her get it right unless he was drinking a whole lot of non lite beer:). She was blood shoot belly ready to pop.

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/02/15 05:54 AM

The end of my line hmhmhmhm bolt

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/02/15 06:01 AM

Heck that was close to a crappie you could get your fist in its mouth. Oh and hey look up bedded crappie on float and fly videos. Most won't be with a fly rod but jerry's bugger and indicator is the same presentation just with a fly adaptation. If you can isolate an area with bedded crappie set the bugger less then the depth and just slowly drag it back to you through them and it should get engulfed.

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/02/15 02:43 PM

2FlyFish4 Nice!!! I'd like to have a few of those to throw in the fryer.

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/02/15 02:45 PM

Robert I'll have to check that out...thanks again for all the advice!
Posted By: Dipson

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/03/15 02:19 AM

These "near deers" can catch anything. Honestly the jigging action of it is fantastic. I've caught alot of crappie/whitebass/hybrids this year on them.

Posted By: Dipson

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/03/15 02:21 AM

Tied on a 1/64 oz jighead sometimes 1/32

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/06/15 06:51 PM

Thanks Dipson I will definitely have to tie some of those up!!! Looks pretty effective to me.

Re: Crappie on the fly - 04/06/15 07:32 PM

The howling wind wasn't too friendly to my buddies johnboat and kept us from fishing our usual crappie hot spots. However I still was able to put my new fly rod to use and caught a ton of these dudes in a cove that was literally the only place blocking the wind.

Didn't bring home the mess of Crappie I expected to get into but I had a good time anyways

Re: Crappie on the fly - 05/04/15 04:28 PM

Well I finally got to get out on my home lake in Mineral Wells and chase some Crappie this weekend. Have a little one on the way so the wife has had me busy around the house the past few weeks. Ended up being a super slow day but I ended up being the only guy in the boat to land a crappie (I was also the only guy with a fly rod!). At a little over 13" he was a blast to bring in on my 5 wt.

Re: Crappie on the fly - 05/06/15 12:24 AM

There should be some good ones in the creeks right now
Posted By: Bob9

Re: Crappie on the fly - 05/06/15 02:00 AM

Nice going. Caught one myself today on a fly - 4 Feather Minnow Fly.

Bob
thumb

Re: Crappie on the fly - 05/06/15 02:33 PM

Robert my buddies and I went all the way up the creek at the lake and had no luck. They were just flat out turned off. Had a kayak tournament going on and everyone I had talked to hadn't landed a single fish. The lake came up from 52% to flooding over the spillway about two weeks ago. Think the water coming up so fast still has the fishing messed up. Water has finally started to clear up though.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum