Texas Fishing Forum

Fort worth Fly Fishers local outing March 7th

Posted By: keebranch

Fort worth Fly Fishers local outing March 7th - 02/19/15 09:43 PM

Fort Worth Fly Fishers Local Outing -featuring beginner class Fly Fishing 101
Where Southwest Nature Preserve Arlington Texas 5201 Bowman Springs Road, Arlington, TX 76017
we will meet up at parking lot off Bowman Springs
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Southwest+Nature+Preserve/@32.664274,-97.220794,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x264f10068ac429

Although we are hoping to see novice fly fisherman at the local outings, these get together will have fisherman of all ranks and file. If you have never fly fished, never bought a pair of waders, perhaps not owned a fly rod, we want you to join us on Saturday March 7 at the Southwest Nature Preserve in Arlington Texas at 9:00 am. Once we have gathered all together your host, Les Jackson will make a brief introduction on the lake access and assign fishing partners. If you are new to our sport you will be assigned a fishing partner to help you learn to how to make easy casts and hook ups with warm water species of fish such as green sunfish, blue gills, and largemouth bass inhabiting the two park lakes.
Our primary objective with Fly Fish 101 will be to help introduce you to the basics. A mentor (fishing partner) will stay with you until you feel comfortable with making a basic pick up and laydown cast, stripping line, setting the hook, and most importantly landing a fish. We know some times folks have gear but don’t know how to properly use it so bring it – we will help you rig it up. If you don’t yet own any tackle we will have all you need on hand to learn. Feel free to ask questions- that’s why we’re here to walk you through this.

What do you need?
Camera or phone- you can take shots of lots of scenery and or fish.
Caps or hat
Comfortable clothing- long sleeved shirts give greater protection against the sun.
Eyewear
Sneakers or sandals
Fishing license

We will provided
Lanyard with nippers and forceps
Fly rod and reel
Basic flies
Water
Sunscreen if needed.

Around noon we will break for lunch at a local eatery; you can call it a day; or if interested, you are welcome to return to fish. All we ask is that you get with Les Jackson to return rod and reel at 4 pm.

Stay tuned for more of the outings at different locations in the Metroplex. We hope to make these a fun experience with a minimal amount of travel.

PM keebranch with any questions.

Re: Fort worth Fly Fishers local outing March 7th - 02/28/15 08:42 PM

Hi all,
I have had folks ask about the cost of this event, and this is FREE. Our aim is to help the newcomer fly fisher

Regards
Les Jackson
Posted By: Trout Bum

Re: Fort worth Fly Fishers local outing March 7th - 03/03/15 03:10 AM

Great program Les. All should attend.
Posted By: Fly Fishing Fanatic!

Re: Fort worth Fly Fishers local outing March 7th - 03/06/15 01:24 AM

Les,

Just a bit of info before your outing, I frequent the park 2-3 times a week and due to the cold WX patterns over the last 3 weeks the fishing at the park both in the lake and in the lower ponds is non existent. I have been fishing with steamers and clousers for weeks and have not gotten a single strike. It appears to me that The perch & LMB are still suspended in deep water which will make fishing extremely difficult. Just thought you might want to know before Saturday. Oh and I was there this morning and both ponds had about a 50% covering of very thin ice on the surface.

Re: Fort worth Fly Fishers local outing March 7th - 03/06/15 02:17 AM

Hi Russell
Thanks for the update and the intel. When we arrange these events we cannot always know how he weather will be, but we plan on proceeding ahead as these events are designed to teach. I have talked to our volunteers already about winter tactics and flies- we will be going deep. As you know fishing does not always equate to catching- regardless of conditions.

If you like join us - we will fish from 9:00am to noon.

Regards
Les Jackson
Posted By: Fly Fishing Fanatic!

Re: Fort worth Fly Fishers local outing March 7th - 03/06/15 02:37 AM

I may drop by I have a Bball tournament in Mansfield at 12noon banana
Posted By: HMK

Re: Fort worth Fly Fishers local outing March 7th - 03/07/15 11:47 PM

We had a blast!!! Thanks again Les! There was a great turnout and a good time was had by all. We had to cut it short and leave at noon, but I wish we could have stayed longer. This was my very first time to fly fish. Thanks for making it such a great memory.

Re: Fort worth Fly Fishers local outing March 7th - 03/08/15 02:30 AM

There will be more opportunity for events like these- I'll keep everyone posted!

Les
Posted By: Trout Bum

Re: Fort worth Fly Fishers local outing March 7th - 03/08/15 02:42 AM

great day and event. that 1st fish is a never forget!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum