Texas Fishing Forum

GoPro

Posted By: Golfer Jeff

GoPro - 04/21/14 11:26 PM

I need some recommendations on Go Pro..... I am getting one this spring for my travels to exotic fishing locales (and also the Lower Mountain Fork). What versions are there? What are the best attributes of each? I need something that will attach to my fat head and can click on/off as fish are hooked.

thanks.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: GoPro - 04/22/14 12:09 AM

GoPro Hero 3 + Black edition. Will do just as you requested and better still comes with a remote. Piece of advice, do not scrimp on the SD card Buy the card recommended or you will have problems I had a 32 mb San Disk class 10 and it failed on me. It must be the Supreme. With new card no problems and the video is stunning.
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: GoPro - 04/22/14 12:12 PM

I wouldn't buy one, I have honestly had horrible luck with mine they eat batteries the software on them is buggy as $&"@ and the charging ports are as fragile as a fat girl on prom night.

Edit- I have hero 3 black edition and silver edition.

Edit II - I have heard really good stuff about this one and will probably order one for a up coming trip the video it shoots on YouTube looks great and 1/3 the price
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H0LLML8...X110_SY165_QL70
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: GoPro - 04/22/14 03:21 PM

Just get you a regular video camera and strap it to magic. That way we can see you catch a fish every now and then but will get to see all the cute girls wanting to pet him.
Posted By: DuckSlayer60

Re: GoPro - 04/22/14 03:33 PM

Jeff, I sent you a PM with some info... if you are interested.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: GoPro - 04/22/14 03:40 PM

I have a Kodak Playsport. It looks like they went up in price since I bought mine, but I like the fact it's waterproof without a case. Shock proof. Has a color view finder. I carry the Gorilla Tripod and wrap it around anything to take video. I used same tripod for my camera.

I you plan on mounting it to a rod, hat, ect, it might not be the best option. Other than that, I love mine. Going on several years with it. Even do family videos with it.
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: GoPro - 04/22/14 04:43 PM

Bill (turfdawg) - Magick tends to drown a few items when he crosses the river, other than that, yes, he would be a great camera carrier. He was on fire Friday morning - one mama that looked like Penelope Cruz and another that looked like Ellen Griswold from the 'Vacation' series with Chevy Chase. My wife now uses him to get free eggrolls and fortune cookies at the Chinese Drive thru. I think she should allow me to have him bring the ladies in, right? Only fair.....
Posted By: Brad Bessett

Re: GoPro - 04/22/14 07:55 PM

+1 for the Hero3 - Black or Silver edition (I have the silver and utilize the phone app).

Re: GoPro - 04/22/14 09:13 PM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/9917503/Re:_go_pro_question?#Post9917503
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: GoPro - 04/22/14 09:44 PM

Dang right Jeff, a man cannot be blamed for what the dog drags home lol..

But on the other hand, I seen your wife and you better just stop while you are ahead
Posted By: 2dogkayak

Re: GoPro - 04/23/14 01:50 PM

I went with the Sony AS30V, and there are other models. WalMart may have a cheaper version but with less features. I have been very pleased. I also have a Sony high definition camcorder, so the AS30V software works with both and has some neat features. Sony also has image stabilization and a lot of neat accessories that you can find on their website. I think the price is competitive with others. I have not had any problems with the card, although I did buy a spare card as well as a spare battery. Things happen with no fault of the camera.

One thing I learned is that you have to be mindful of the sun and turn your back toward it, or you can just edit those parts out.

Bill

Re: GoPro - 04/23/14 03:29 PM

I am just really disappointed with the amount of money I have spent on gopro products and lack of quality and support that I have gotten from the company
Posted By: Tatanka54

Re: GoPro - 04/23/14 09:14 PM

I bought the Sony HDR-AS15 Action Cam setup. It works well but the sound is extremely muffled when in the waterproof case. Image quality is very good though. Has Carl Zeiss lens with image stabilization. Mounting options are different from the GoPro due to shape of camera. Can't wear on chest. While I like the Sony, I would go with Go-Pro Black edition if I had to do it all over. They have had a few firmware upgrades that pretty much solved a lot of earlier issues.
Posted By: winchester44

Re: GoPro - 04/24/14 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: LoneStarCarper
I am just really disappointed with the amount of money I have spent on gopro products and lack of quality and support that I have gotten from the company

Don't expect to get the kind of videos you see on youtube out of the box. Most of those have been run through multiple editing processes. It seems they spend a lot more on marketing and their mounts than on the actual the camera. Here are the frustrations with my Hero 2- PLEASE NOTE- Some or all of these may not apply to the new Hero 3

1. Slightest temperature change causes housing (case) to fog over including the lens. Like from taking it out of the shade in your bag to putting it on. I've had this happen on a 12,000 ft mountain in below freezing temps with almost zero humidity and also in the tropics at sea level in the heat and many times right here in North Texas.

2. It's terrible in bright light, like on the water. Reflections and sparkle wash out the picture

3. It's even worse in low light, the aperture is tiny and let's in very little light

4. The housing is easily scratched especially the the lens cover which will throw off the auto-focus

5. Battery meter is non-linear- when you think you have 1/2 left it's more like 1/10.

6. The audio is worthless

7. The Audible beeps signifying start/stop recording are very hard to hear with any background noise

8. They do not work well underwater with the standard lens

9. The stills will make your iPhone look like and SLR

With all that being said, they do have their use for certain special applications. All of the mounts I've bought seem very solid and well thought out. The battery life is excellent. Mine has been down to 75 ft scuba diving and the housing held up just fine.

After my experience with the Hero 2, my guess is most of us would be far better served with a ruggedized point and shoot camera like an Olympus Tough or Pentax Optio. They are just about as water resistant, far more versatile and will shoot great looking stills and excellent video.
Posted By: Anytimeoutdoors

Re: GoPro - 04/28/14 04:05 PM

I have had the 3+ black edition for a couple weeks and the video is stunning day or night.ive taken it to the guad strapped to my head worked excellent while wading and casting and not shaking much. I mount it on a tripod on my boat for my night time crappie fishing trips with clients and even with the green led lights glowing and reflecting off the water it comes in very clear.i lite the area with white led lights and it catches great video of all the action. the iphone app is quick to start recording via wifi and outlast the batts in the wifi remote.my only complaints are the cam is a battery hog.and I find I get longer battery life if I record continuously and change batts when it dies.on average it takes me 6 batts to film a 8 hour trip
6 off those hours fit on a 64 gig micro sd.ive been working on editing vids with windows 8 movie maker has been the easiest editer so far.il post a thread with my youtube channel this week with 7 clients videos all filmed with gopro 3+ black
Posted By: winchester44

Re: GoPro - 04/28/14 06:24 PM

That's awesome. Was talking with my little brother about his Hero 3. Sounds like they have made big improvements!
Posted By: bob5600

Re: GoPro - 04/29/14 09:35 PM

I also got a Hero 3+ black edition a while back and I've got nothing but good things to say about it so far. video quality is great, stills are not quite as great but still good. Really like the mounting options and the time lapse feature as well. Battery seems to last about an hour and a half or so, but I haven't really used it for extended periods yet. Wifi remote and phone app are also pretty handy as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum