Texas Fishing Forum

Redington CPX rods?

Posted By: YelloSub

Redington CPX rods? - 11/28/12 08:51 PM

Anyone have experience with Redington CPX fly rods?
They're being phased out and the prices have come down.

Thanks!
Posted By: keebranch

Re: Redington CPX rods? - 11/28/12 09:46 PM

I cast one a few years back -its a decent rod. The one i tired was a 5wt, felt light in the hand and fast action.

Les

Re: Redington CPX rods? - 11/29/12 08:12 PM

WOW! I guess no one has used these rods, dang.

Well the CPX is normally priced from $299-$329 and they're on sale for 50% off. I was looking to upgrade to a higher-end rod, with a lifetime warranty, and these look to foot the bill...maybe.
Posted By: preast

Re: Redington CPX rods? - 11/30/12 02:25 AM

I was interested in the replies on this. It's pretty standard with everything else I see on this rod. I don't get the feeling there was a lot of excitement about them. The CPX replaced the CPS, which everyone raved about. I have 2 CPS rods and they are great but no experience with the CPX. Doesn't sound like they quite lived up but I'd love to cast one since they are on sale. Even if they're just close to the CPS, then they're still a great rod for that money but word is that they are faster and I'm thinking about a 4wt so probably won't go with one. For an 8wt, I would, based on what I've read.
Posted By: BACKSEATWILLIE

Re: Redington CPX rods? - 12/03/12 02:15 AM

Ordered a 6wt, seems like a really nice rod. Have not had the chance to cast it yet, but it is very light and seems to have a good flex point. Just ordered another tonight, an 8wt, the price has been lowered to $129. I figure you cant go wrong for that price. From what it looks like Redington is changing the names and looks of most if not all their rods. That is why they are be clearanced, not performance. From what i've read they seem to to perform one size smaller than labeled, so if you want a 4 order a 5 wt.
Posted By: swellcat

Re: Redington CPX rods? - 12/03/12 04:22 PM

Quote:
From what i've read they seem to to perform one size smaller than labeled . . .

Boy, if true, would that ever be a rarity in modern graphite.
Posted By: CRAPPIEJIGN

Re: Redington CPX rods? - 12/05/12 05:58 AM

Ordered 3 of their rods recently due to clearance for the upcoming year models. Purchased a CT, Pursuit and CPX. The CPX is 9' for a 5 weight line. That puppy will toss a streamer, indicator rig or cut through the wind with ease.

I really like the Redington lineup. I've owned several Sage fly rods and a few Orvis rods over the years.

Jeff

Re: Redington CPX rods? - 12/05/12 10:39 PM

I'm summarizing some of the reviews that I have found online...

- Solide performance
- Lifetime Warranty
- Hard to beat for the price (list price
- a little heavy on the swing
- Stiff: need to move up on line weight (5WT rod = 6wt line)

Overall, I think these may be a good buy for the money.
<fingers crossed>
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum