Texas Fishing Forum

Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!!

Posted By: Trout Bum

Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/25/11 04:38 PM

The Fort Worth Fly Fishers are proud to announce some exciting news about the Al Crise Day Event. There will now be a trout derby, as we are pleased to announce the stocking of 1000 trout for the day. Reel Recovery will also be having a Dutch Oven Cookoff, and there will be some great prizes to go along with the events. The event will also include a live auction and raffle for some additional great prizes, which includes a TFO 5wt BVK rod, and a guided fishing trip with Ken Richards from Just Fishing Guides. If you need help on your casting or tying, then take advantage of the many CCI's that will be there, and awesome tyers, that will be there, too. Did I mention the BBQ lunch? All we are asking for is a suggested $20 donation that will go to two great charities. Reel Recovery and Casting for Recovery. Feel free to donate more, as this is our way of helping the two charities that Al felt so deeply about.

Here is the new flyer for the event, along with the Dutch Oven Cookoff sign up sheet, and links for some of the prizes.

http://texasreelrecovery.org/dutchoven-cookoff.htm
http://www.justfishinguides.com/
http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/bvk-series.html

Posted By: derik d

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/25/11 09:32 PM

Bummer it's the same weekend as Troutfest, and the same day of the film tour.

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/26/11 12:42 AM

i know, there's like ten things to do on that day. or almost any weekend now, but that is a good thing that things are going on, and we have choices!!
Posted By: Somnipod

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/27/11 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By: derik d

Troutfest and Film Tour will get my nod...
Posted By: keebranch

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/27/11 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Somnipod
Originally Posted By: derik d

Troutfest and Film Tour will get my nod...

Sounds like fun...
But all proceeds from Al Crise day support both Casting for Recovery & Reel Recovery we'll have 1,000 stocked trout and plenty of food for everyone.
These important causes get my nod!
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/27/11 01:37 PM

I spent many years working with Al at FlyFish Texas and other events. I learned more about casting a fly rod by simply standing and watching him.

One winter he rolled in from some long road trip, got a call from McKinney Parks Department and so drove from Glen Rose to McKinney with no sleep to teach casting For Free. I did buy his lunch.

I say all this not to hold it over anyone's head but to represent for my dear old friend Al who I hope is still doing well in whatever endeavors he is currently involved in. I'll be there Al.
Posted By: mickfly

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/27/11 08:36 PM

Troutfest proceeds go to Casting for Recovery, Project Healing Waters, Trout in the Classroom, and Guadalupe River habitat restoration.
Posted By: mmendez1

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/27/11 09:24 PM

I have been going back and forth as well. The extra drive and cost have helped make the decision to choose the Al Crise event, but both of them seem like great events supporting good causes. The part that I was most looking forward to at Troutfest is seeing the Film Festival outdoors. I think that it is (weather permitting) going to be awesome!

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/27/11 10:03 PM

yes, both events are helping great causes. choose one or the other, and go have fun. do not sit around all weekend thinking about going, but go!! there are millions of people that live in the area. there is enough room and people to support both. spread the word on both events, and GO!!
Posted By: keebranch

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/27/11 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: mickfly
Troutfest proceeds go to Casting for Recovery, Project Healing Waters, Trout in the Classroom, and Guadalupe River habitat restoration.

Mick,
What about Reel Recovery? The men recovering from cancer could sure use the help to finance future retreats at Joshua Creek Ranch. So far most of the funding for these has come from north Texas. I would love to see some help from GRTU. Do you know anyone on the board?

Les

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 01/29/11 10:26 PM

More and more donations are coming in. lots of great gear to auction off, or win in a raffle!! Did I mention the Dutch oven cookoff!! Nothing like eating fresh food out of the dutch oven, on a hopefuly, cool day. Not like we are going to see this week!! Always happens. Worked all weekend, weather awesome. 1 st day off tuesday, rain, snow, sleet, wind and cold. lovely!! Back to the items for auction. Guided trips, flies, rods, gear, all sorts of stuff. You all plan on coming for this one. Still have one more big announcement to come, hopefully. Maybe a big name tyer?? stay tuned!!

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/13/11 09:57 PM

Looks like the weather will be great for this day!! I hope you all plan on attending. So much to do for a great cause!!
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/13/11 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Trout Bum
More and more donations are coming in. lots of great gear to auction off, or win in a raffle!! Did I mention the Dutch oven cookoff!! Nothing like eating fresh food out of the dutch oven, on a hopefuly, cool day. Not like we are going to see this week!! Always happens. Worked all weekend, weather awesome. 1 st day off tuesday, rain, snow, sleet, wind and cold. lovely!! Back to the items for auction. Guided trips, flies, rods, gear, all sorts of stuff. You all plan on coming for this one. Still have one more big announcement to come, hopefully. Maybe a big name tyer?? stay tuned!!

Something sounds fishy about this!!! rolfmao

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/14/11 01:19 AM

lets hope!!!
Posted By: gray

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/14/11 01:29 AM

Yo TB,
Can you give us any information on the best way to inquire about campsite availability? The website says there is nothing. But, a close and relaible source assures me that is NOT true.

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/14/11 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: gray
Yo TB,
Can you give us any information on the best way to inquire about campsite availability? The website says there is nothing. But, a close and relaible source assures me that is NOT true.

The reliable source sent an email inquiring as to the availability.

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/14/11 02:01 PM

Why thank you, Mr. President.

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/15/11 01:36 AM

i will be updating you all on camping possibilities tomorrow. stay tuned!!

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/15/11 07:17 PM

Mr. Bum Sir,
Have you any update for us?

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/15/11 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: gray
Mr. Bum Sir,
Have you any update for us?

We're leaning toward the place you sent me.

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/15/11 08:13 PM

Chop BBQ, sausage, potato salad, mexican cole slaw, trout fishing, raffles, live auction, casting instructions, fly tying, dutch oven cookoff contest, all in 1 day. This Saturday at Al Crise Day. Be there!!

still trying on the camping spots!! frown

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/15/11 10:41 PM

Hey guys that are wanting to camp near the state park, there are a couple of other options. There is Oakdale camping, Jurrasic Camping, and Tres Rios Camping. The park also suggested that on arriving Friday, ask to be put on a waiting list. There are last minute cancellations, and if you check back, it may work out for you.

Phone numbers:
Oakdale 254-897-2321
Jurrasic 254-897-1223
Tres Rios 254-221-0018

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/17/11 02:15 AM

this weather is amazing!!! really hoping for a great turnout!! trout will be ready!!
Posted By: Hill Shepherd

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/18/11 03:42 PM

New Update!

Jay "Fishy" Fullum of fly tying fame will be at the Al Crise Day.

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/18/11 10:57 PM

thanks for posting this Vernon!! weather is awesome for the day!!
Posted By: SBridgess

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/19/11 12:46 PM

Hope you are all having fun celebrating Al's life. Strange Karma floating around me this morning. All alone catching bait this morrning under a full moon, some fishing truths I had been working on became crystal clear. Got home logged on to Facebook. In the friends you might know area I see Allen Crise. With Al's face smiling at me. Now I think I know who gave me the answers. smile

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/20/11 01:41 AM

scott, thats awesome. he was watching over us all today. more to come later!!

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/20/11 01:45 PM

well the day was awesome!! everyone had a great time, and we raised over $1700 for both Reel and Casting for Recovery. The fishing was really good, too. Along with the casting, tying, dutch oven cookoff, and of course the food!!

I want to Thank the folks at TP&WD for being such great hosts and helping us with the event. Also to Warren and Cheryl for being great representatives for their organizations. It was good having Jerry and Dan lead their clubs down here, from both Red River and Dallas Fly Fishers. Fishy Fullum was a great addition and thanks so much for tying with us. Larry Simmons from TFO, did an awesome job showing off and demoing rods. Thanks for coming down. And special thanks to all the volunteers from the FWFFers who made the day what it was.

The trout derby was really close, and the deciding trout was an 11 incher, that propelled James Parker to be the winner by a half an inch!! The dutch oven cookoff contest was really tough to decide, and the judges could not reach a decison, so they had to go back and sample two, and three times before reaching a unaminous decision. And the decision was we need to do this more often!!

I also want to personally thank the Crise family, for coming down, and helping us with the day, and for letting us have Al for so many years.

Here are some pics from the day:

Posted By: Honorbrite

Re: Al Crise Day Exciting UPDATES!! - 02/25/11 04:49 PM

Wow, what a great day. The Dutch oven desserts were delicious, the meal was too, and the trout fishing was a big hit. Thank you to FtWFF and Al's family for supporting the two charities. The donation will be used at the next fly fishing retreat April 8-10th at Wildcatter Ranch. For more information call 800-542-2246 or visit http://texasreelrecovery.org/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum